Thailand shakes up golden visa scheme, hikes prices by up to 500 per cent

webfact

1 minute ago, redwood1 said:

I have been poo pooing the idea the retirement age could be raised to 60...But if you think about it, this would create instant customers for the elite.....But for this to work they could not have any grandfathering.....

I would hate to see this.....But no tell what they might do not to lose face..

More likely to drive up immigration (and tourist) numbers for local countries that are friendlier to longer stays. 

At some point, it's even cheaper to just fly out once a month for a couple of days.  What's 12 months x 5 years x $200 for a long weekend in, say, Vietnam?  Or Cambodia, or...  or... 

I get $12,000.  Cheaper than the TE, and you get an escape once a month. 

• Thumbs Up 2

From the article...
"It hopes to boost its membership by 10,000 in the coming year under the new scheme.

Current Thailand Elite packages can be applied for until September 15. They will be discontinued and replaced with new packages on October 1, 2023."

image.png.c54913b39311c43d453d0899bd47e9d0.png

Edited by khunPer
Adding imgae
  • Confused 1

Making a big mistake thinking rich people make good expats. 

Generally I see multi millionaires squabble over 20 baht price difference. Not all.  But too many that leave me in disbelieve.

So how then do we tell a good expat for Thailand.  Not important really,  is it? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Since they cannot attract much in the way of wealthy ex-pats due to a dozen good reasons why those with wealth choose other nations over Thailand, might as well hike the fees. That is a long standing Thai tradition. When demand is low, raise the prices. Just common sense, right?

its called low season pricing

4 hours ago, WHansen said:

In typical Thai fashion, if expected revenue comes up short, increase prices to make up for losses.

How about lowering prices to increase sales or is that beyond logical thinking.

Thais are incapable of understanding the concept of volume pricing

• Confused 2

There is a psychological concept that if something is more expensive, people will think it is better and pay more.  I still find it hard to justify the value when you could use the traditional visas, donate a large chunk to many charities and make a real impact.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

Yes I know that.

But I shall continue to ask the question every time somebody writes something as stupid as "this visa is worthless because you can get the same for 1,900bt/year".

I will be sure to include the fact that I have no children next to to prevent you having to waste your data...

Bizzare,  if your having problems with visa get an agent or adjust your choices as its a big old world out there with many welcoming countries. You must obviously have external income to live off as working without a visa is illegal and if you have employment then a work visa should be provided. The other route is setting up a business and employing yourself and the required number of Thai's giving yourself a work permit. Advice: go see a lawyer or adjust your life with trips over the border. There used to be certain Thai embassies that we'd give you a 12 month visa (new a young lad who did that for years).

I do not understand anyone who would pay crazy money for basically nothing you can get for a fraction of the price. The very rich people I have known got that way by being very careful with money and not wasting it. The only people who I and many others on here who know Thailand well with decades of experience can really see the criminal attraction for this bribe sorry visa.

• Like 1