Thai PM’s new weapons procurement plan to boost national economy

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Pheu Thai-led government harbours no intentions to undermine them, acknowledging their crucial role in national defence.

The RTM is not a sovereign entity. It is supposedly ("on paper") a branch of Thai government to serve the Thai People.

Should not then a priority of National Defence be to PROTECT the sovereignty of the Thai People and not the repeated illegal extra-constitutionality that since 1932 has been exercised by the RTM?

It seems for the sake of saving its deteriorating power, the PTP now as a minority party has UNDERMINED the public majority's best interests that had been reflected in part by the MFP. And in effect the PTP has committed a political coup.

2 hours ago, retarius said:

There is a disconnect here. How is buying weapons from abroad going to help GDP growth. I'm not aware of any major weapons manufacturers here in Thailand (please correct me if I'm wrong on this). GET rid of conscription first. Ruining young men's lives and using them as slaves for generals is bad news.

These will give you an idea of what is made in Thailand:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_equipment_of_the_Royal_Thai_Army

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_equipment_of_the_Royal_Thai_Navy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_of_the_Royal_Thai_Air_Force

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

An astonishing variety! They have 6 completely different models of 155mm howitzer, 4 different models of 105mm howitzer, it must be a logistical nightmare!

7 different types of pistol in 3 different calibres, 13 different types of infantry rifle. Their "metal Mickeys" ( small arms instructors) must be permanently confused!

5 different types of Main Battle Tanks...

And now we hear of a major new weapons procurement programme, lots more new ( no doubt different) kit - remarkable!

It's called: Spreading the risk. ????

“Any weapons procurement plan will have to be accompanied by a deal to import products from Thailand.”

For instance, a plan to acquire new weapons worth 80 billion baht would need to be partnered with a contract to import agricultural and other products from Thailand, totalling a value of 100 to 200 billion baht.

Thus, the armed forces would need to liaise with the Ministry of Commerce regarding such trade agreements, to ensure the country benefits broadly from any new weapons procurement plans

This policy should fly like a lead balloon.  Hey country XYZ I want to buy 100 billion baht worth of planes, ships, and tanks from you but before that can occur you must agree to buy 200 billion baht of stuff from me like durians, rice, etc.   Sound like a fair deal (Thai style)?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, 2baht said:

There is no external threats so I guess the only threats are within! Protect the rich! ????:jap:

But sleeping generals cost money, big money over a year. And a smaller smarter army would reduce costs.

More money to support welfare ativities.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, scorecard said:

But sleeping generals cost money, big money over a year. And a smaller smarter army would reduce costs.

More money to support welfare ativities.

You mean like act humanely??? I dont think they will, they are too greedy!

Well now......

All in all, it seems like a sensible approach. After all Trade is always supposed to be Value for Value. In this case, it's being suggested that it work on two levels, not just one:

• We give you money for goods, and you give us money for goods.

• We promise to give you a certain level of purchases, and you promise give us a certain level of purchases, in exchange.

And it may seem the suggested numbers are unbalanced, but we have to remember.........

We'd be buying things from them that have a very narrow focus, while they'd be buying things from us that have a broad, more universal, population-wide focus and appeal. Our acquisitions from them go into only a few hands. Their acquisitions from us can go into many, many hands!

And the idea of additional procurement doesn't upset me too much, if the procurement is done for the right reasons.

For example, it was noted upthread that there many different types, styles, and brands of weapons currently being used. If the proposed "procurement" was intended to phase out the confusion and disparity and supply the military with a narrower range of more universally adaptable weaponry........ that would be a good thing! (Imagine: A continuing soldier needs to re-arm himself from a fallen soldier, but finds, "Damn, he got entirely different weaponry!" NOT GOOD! That would be something worth fixing!)

So, new procurement isn't NECESSARILY a bad thing!

(Then, all that phased-out, unnecessarily confusing weaponry could be sold on the second-hand marketplace, recouping some of the new-procurement investment, making the exchange not just a win-win, but a win-win-win!)

Yes, I understand both the opportunity for..... and history of..... corruption. (WHO gets to sell the phased-out weapons, for example? Who get the money and/or the "commission?")

But those are reason to try to force them to do things "correctly," above-board, and transparently........ NOT reasons to not do them!

Sorry, for all the snide comments made upthread, the fact is, if this is done in the right way for the right reasons......... it's actually a very good idea!

Sorry, but with tensions increasing between the United States and China, and China pushing out tentacles into both shipping lanes and land routes.......... (and eyeing Taiwan with renewed glee!)........ Thailand improving it's readiness, preparedness, and capabilities....... is a sound and sensible measure!

Remember:

It takes two to make peace, but only one to make war!

So even if Thailand wants to try to stay neutral......... she still must be able to ENFORCE her neutrality!

Any less? Well..... you're just asking her to become the new France and Poland from WW2! (Which is to say: Easily overrun!) 

• New procurement? Yes. If it's done the right way and for the right reasons.

• Using New Procurement as a win-win (win-win-win?) way to boost exports and increase economic activity? Sorry, but for all the cynicism being expressed....... (some, of course, justified!)......it really IS a good idea!

Cheers!

Edited by KanchanaburiGuy
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pib said:

This policy should fly like a lead balloon.  Hey country XYZ I want to buy 100 billion baht worth of planes, ships, and tanks from you but before that can occur you must agree to buy 200 billion baht of stuff from me like durians, rice, etc.   Sound like a fair deal (Thai style)?

Mentioning lead balloons, how is the repair of military aerostat for surveillance use in the south coming on?