Driver License Testing: No Win (Catch 22)

NokYai611

I had the same process last year when renewing licenses after expiring during Covid.  Was surprised that two tests were required which are drawn from the same pool of 200 or so questions.  I passed both the first time but did study/practice with the online tests which will show you what was incorrect.  I made notes and focused on what is the correct answer to the question as both can be confusing due to translation quality.  Again it is important to focus on and know what is the correct answer even if it does not seem logical.  Good luck going forward.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Qman said:

I had the same process last year when renewing licenses after expiring during Covid.  Was surprised that two tests were required which are drawn from the same pool of 200 or so questions.  I passed both the first time but did study/practice with the online tests which will show you what was incorrect.  I made notes and focused on what is the correct answer to the question as both can be confusing due to translation quality.  Again it is important to focus on and know what is the correct answer even if it does not seem logical.  Good luck going forward.

Logical? Who's logic.????

18 minutes ago, JayClay said:

When I did the computer test, going back many years now, you were shown which questions you got wrong after the test along with the "correct" answer. Is that no longer the case?

Just read a post saying no, that was not what happened for him. 

• Thanks 1

IIRC from when I did this, some of the 'correct' answers were wrong and you had to put in the wrong 'answer' to get it marked correctly.

I missed one and got one point shy of perfect.  Staff were shocked I scored so high.

Note:  I did it in English.  Not sure if the problem exists in other languages.  And this was quite some time ago, so not sure if they updated their software.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, NokYai611 said:

Thanks, yes he has been studying these Q/A but can’t figure out where he’s going wrong - wouldn’t it be nice/reasonable to know which questions were answered incorrectly!

If they continue to not assist, get him to nip to another province or office and take it there.

Chonburi centre or Rayong.

Mind you, @bbko has already put all the answers and test questions up above in this thread.

13 hours ago, NokYai611 said:

My staff guy has now taken the computer test (at Pattaya Land Transport Office) 4 times …….each time he has correctly answered 43 or 44 of the total 50 questions (45 are required).

Each time he has pleaded with the “diligent” staff to help him…..by showing him which questions were answered wrongly.  These folks couldn’t be bothered!  They refused every time. What an operation!

Great service for a guy trying to do “the right thing”!

BTW he passed the separate motorbike computer test - hard to understand why there are 2 different tests now.  Only one test some years back.

Obvious from the way they drive that many drivers dont know what a road safety rule is about, thats why they fail.

Coming from the UK, the only major differences I found were that most Thai's rarely see roundabouts and despite white stop lines being painted on the exit, local customs tend to apply.

And more importantly, if you are driving down a road and turning right into a side road, any traffic waiting in that side road to turn right in front of you has right of way, it's completely the opposite in the UK.

I took both licensees 3 years ago with a 46 and 48 score. I studied the Q and A beforehand, and as several people already mentioned, I focused on the answers they were looking for. Also I'm quite sure that one question had different answers in the two tests ????

At least we are offered an English version here. I had to take a Belgian license 10 years ago, and the text on the computer were in French and verbally called out in English. So I'm not complaints about the quality of the system here.

3 hours ago, NHPT said:

My permanent Thai licenses expired when I was away during COVID. To my surprise (and to the surprise of the agent helping me) they required me to do a written exam for each license.

Renewed my driving licences june last year, had expired three years ago.

Didn't have to take any test because of Covid 

16 hours ago, NokYai611 said:

BTW he passed the separate motorbike computer test - hard to understand why there are 2 different tests now

There was two different tests 18 years ago.

If I remember correctly the MC test was 12 questions.

16 hours ago, NokYai611 said:

My staff guy has now taken the computer test (at Pattaya Land Transport Office) 4 times …….each time he has correctly answered 43 or 44 of the total 50 questions (45 are required).

Each time he has pleaded with the “diligent” staff to help him…..by showing him which questions were answered wrongly.  These folks couldn’t be bothered!  They refused every time. What an operation!

Great service for a guy trying to do “the right thing”!

BTW he passed the separate motorbike computer test - hard to understand why there are 2 different tests now.  Only one test some years back.

Strange! When I made the test, it was possible to go back and look up what was wrong. Why he not do that?

23 minutes ago, patman30 said:

Probably for the best.
test is easy AF, and no study required

(they show you the video beforehand which has all the answers you will need)
i had the same Q reworded 3 times when i done the test

When I did my test online earlier this year (June) the video actually repeated some sequences and gave different answers to those sequences each time. The test also contained questions to scenarios that were not even in the video, and the video and questions were all in the english version of the video and test. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, NokYai611 said:

Thanks, yes he has been studying these Q/A but can’t figure out where he’s going wrong - wouldn’t it be nice/reasonable to know which questions were answered incorrectly!

At the end of the test it displays the answers you got wrong and the correct answer

17 hours ago, NokYai611 said:

Each time he has pleaded with the “diligent” staff to help him…..by showing him which questions were answered wrongly.  These folks couldn’t be bothered!  They refused every time. 

I think that you're missing the point of a test!  They were doing the right thing.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NokYai611 said:

You mean "wouldn't it be nice/reasonable (?) to be given the correct answers in advance"?!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Coming from the UK, the only major differences I found were that most Thai's rarely see roundabouts and despite white stop lines being painted on the exit, local customs tend to apply.

And more importantly, if you are driving down a road and turning right into a side road, any traffic waiting in that side road to turn right in front of you has right of way, it's completely the opposite in the UK.

What about the Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre (UK). Whilst here, it is Manoeuvre, Mirror, Signal (Thailand)

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

What about the Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre (UK). Whilst here, it is Manoeuvre, Mirror, Signal (Thailand)

Or even Position, Speed, Look, here it is Speed, no Position, no looky but flashy lighty (sorry that's China, remove the Y's to convert to Thai).

• Haha 1