How To Stay for Another Year: Need Your Advice!

Just now, DrJack54 said:

You as usual have misunderstood the post you quoted.

It's not about work as in a job.

A non O based on marriage would enable ongoing stay.

Aso being married to a Thai you can work in Thailand meeting certain requirements 

Work doing what?

3 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

If you haven't used your visa exempt entries by land yet this year, you can safely do that twice, and then extend 30 days each time.  That will give you 4 months to start with.

The OP (think) has not indicated nationality.

The "uz" in username perhaps indicates from country that does not receive 30 day visa exempt via land. 

• Thumbs Up 1

After your land border crossings are used up you could get a few tourist visas in Laos and Cabodia and then do some fly ins.....You could milk this for 2-3 years...Maybe...

And do your best to turn 50 as soon as possible...

Edited by redwood1

47 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

best maybe. cheapest ?

Cheapest ...Yes.

The financial requirements for extensions based on marriage is a sweet deal especially compared to based on retirement.

Alternatively can obtain ME Non O marriage 12 month visa from Savannakhet..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You as usual have misunderstood the post you quoted.

It's not about work as in a job.

A non O based on marriage would enable ongoing stay.

Aso being married to a Thai you can work in Thailand meeting certain requirements 

I don't work because I have enough money not to.

I could buy the elite visa if I wanted to but I dont need to.

These ed visa bums are just that. They are bums, living off mommy and daddy on an extended stay.

I met a bloke the other week in his 50's talking about getting an ed visa whilst sat with his bar girl eating som tum.

been here 3 weeks and all of a sudden really wants to learn Thai.

Get real.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

It's a shame that Bobnok seems to have been out drinking and his jealousy of others has led to his attempt at derailing the topic. But it's a decent enough lesson for the OP.... As you're young you're going to meet a lot of bitter expats so it's probably best not to discuss your visa situation with them.

If you actually intent to study Thai at a language school you should be fine. The clamp downs tend to be for people who don't actually study.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I do not know how old you are or how skilled you are, and even lucky and easily get good valuable connections, because all that you will need to survive in Thailand. You need a safety net, and with little resources, small problems have an tendency to get real big.

Spend a few more years in Europe or elsewhere you can have well paid work, have patience, and Uild up an largge enough buffer to manage to build something in Thailand.

Thumb of rule: You will need 3 times as much as you plan to use + safety money. 

How old are you? And why the rush? 

10 hours ago, bignok said:

His dad would agree with me. Bumming around for 12 months while his gf earns 400 to 500 baht a day. You think that's a good life plan?  That's low standards that you are encouraging. Get a job in the west. Much better plan.

Lots of people bum around for a year. I took a year out in my twenties and lived here with not a lot of money. So what? It's not a life plan.

OP, ed visa is your best option to stay for the year. You won't have an issue getting one, just don't leave and re-enter during its duration.

54 minutes ago, JayClay said:

It's a shame that Bobnok seems to have been out drinking and his jealousy of others has led to his attempt at derailing the topic. But it's a decent enough lesson for the OP.... As you're young you're going to meet a lot of bitter expats so it's probably best not to discuss your visa situation with them.

If you actually intent to study Thai at a language school you should be fine. The clamp downs tend to be for people who don't actually study.

Stop posting immature nonsense. He has bummed for 1 year already. Cant afford an elite visa. Gf isnt working. You are encouraging a bum life.

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I do not know how old you are or how skilled you are, and even lucky and easily get good valuable connections, because all that you will need to survive in Thailand. You need a safety net, and with little resources, small problems have an tendency to get real big.

Spend a few more years in Europe or elsewhere you can have well paid work, have patience, and Uild up an largge enough buffer to manage to build something in Thailand.

Thumb of rule: You will need 3 times as much as you plan to use + safety money. 

How old are you? And why the rush? 

Exactly. Learn skills or work. Muay Thai is a not a career path unless elite. Bumming around Phuket for a year makes no sense.

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Alternatively can obtain ME Non O marriage 12 month visa from Savannakhet..

Many reports from the last week that the ME Non O in Savannakhet is getting a lot harder to get. Many people getting refused, some asked to phone wife, some asked to produce wife.

This option is not the sure thing it once was

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

Many reports from the last week that the ME Non O in Savannakhet is getting a lot harder to get. Many people getting refused, some asked to phone wife, some asked to produce wife.

Keep your wife in pocket like a phone.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

I don't work because I have enough money not to.

I could buy the elite visa if I wanted to but I dont need to.

These ed visa bums are just that. They are bums, living off mommy and daddy on an extended stay.

I met a bloke the other week in his 50's talking about getting an ed visa whilst sat with his bar girl eating som tum.

been here 3 weeks and all of a sudden really wants to learn Thai.

Get real.

Why would you care, you said before you are leaving this place.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I think those crackdowns were only for sketchy schools where people did not show up for classes and still got the visa. Try a reputable school like Walen.

Went to Walen for a week, all Ed VISA students who didn't bother.

Hardly legit!

I would say AUA and YMCA are the only schools I attended that were actually teaching Thai, but they didn't provide Ed VISA's.

1 hour ago, bigt3116 said:

Perhaps they are checking applications which seem dubious.

If you are genuine ( married or bringing up a child), with the correct supporting documentation then you shouldn't have a problem.

Over the years I have seen several people refused at Savannakhet - invariably because they had the wrong documentation. I once had a chap in the queue ask me what he needed to do to get one! Another classic example was a chap in front of me who was refused - his "evidence" was a couple of bank statements!

Savannahket is very busy, my impression is that when they scrutinize your application if all the boxes are ticked, good, if not refused.

Edited by herfiehandbag

17 hours ago, Faranguz said:

I read that Immigration is cracking down on ED visas and it's getting hard to get one.

I'm up North... there is a school here that does all the immigration work for the ED visa. IO is cracking down, but if you follow the rules and let the schools handle everything, I would think you'd be okay. It does cost money though.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Isn't bumming about exactly what you do?

I'm pretty sure you've said yourself in the past that you're only happy when you're traveling.

Seems like a textbook case of jealousy to me...

I can afford an elite visa. I dont bum around Phuket pretending to be Van Damme.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Perhaps they are checking applications which seem dubious.

If you are genuine ( married or bringing up a child), with the correct supporting documentation then you shouldn't have a problem.

Over the years I have seen several people refused at Savannakhet - invariably because they had the wrong documentation. I once had a chap in the queue ask me what he needed to do to get one! Another classic example was a chap in front of me who was refused - his "evidence" was a couple of bank statements!

Savannahket is very busy, my impression is that when they scrutinize your application if all the boxes are ticked, good, if not refused.

That’s laughable.

It’s common for people to get the run around anywhere in Thailand. All the right documentation but some minor thing like last name, first name not specified in the right order or other things like that, you end up running around in circles trying to get it fixed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThailandYoda said:

Another option is to get an ED visa to study Muay Thai. It's a bit pricey but 100% legit. There are a few schools in Phuket that offer them (Tiger & AKA)

Ignore the bitter old jealous dudes with ED. They need to get a life or hobby instead of being grumpy old geezers 

Common sense only, and well ment advises.

• Like 1