How To Stay for Another Year: Need Your Advice!

19 hours ago, Faranguz said:

What about all this talk about crackdowns on ED visas?

Is it really a thing?

Because there were discovered to be lots of "fake" ED visa issued to many Chinese a few months ago to enable them to stay here illegally, Immigration officers are looking at applications much more carefully and they are usually taking longer to be authorised.   They are still being issued for genuine applicants.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bob smith said:

These ed visa bums are just that. They are bums, living off mommy and daddy on an extended stay.

I met a bloke the other week in his 50's talking about getting an ed visa whilst sat with his bar girl eating som tum.

So what?  How does that affect you and how is it any of your business?  What's the relevance of the girl's meal?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

...that is non of your concern!

It will finally affect all of us one way or the other. More documentation, more rules and more strict regulations.

Anyone remember how it used to be? A walk in the park, now everyone complains how difficult immigration is? And why so?

The more idiots on go found me without proper insurance is one thing that come to mind.

28 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Because there were discovered to be lots of "fake" ED visa issued to many Chinese a few months ago to enable them to stay here illegally, Immigration officers are looking at applications much more carefully and they are usually taking longer to be authorised.   They are still being issued for genuine applicants.

I would guess one simple way to determine a fake ED visa based on language schools is for the immigration officer to see how long the applicant has been attending the language school, then speak at that level in Thai to them.  If the applicant has the "deer in the headlights" look about him, it's rejected. If he can speak Thai reasonably well, he's approved. Of course that doesn't apply to a 1st time applicant.

Edited by bbko

19 hours ago, Faranguz said:

What about all this talk about crackdowns on ED visas?

Is it really a thing?

Ed visas are apparently commonly misused to allow someone to stay. I would not blame them for making it more difficult.

If you can't use something based on having loadsacash, you can get married, if you trust her. Check out the marriage and divorce subforum first.

2 hours ago, JimTripper said:

That’s laughable.

It’s common for people to get the run around anywhere in Thailand. All the right documentation but some minor thing like last name, first name not specified in the right order or other things like that, you end up running around in circles trying to get it fixed.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Careful perhaps pedantic scrutiny of visa applications is very much flavour of the month, because as @Liverpool Louhas pointed out there has been an organised rash of "dodgy"applications.

Don't forget that the people scrutinizing these applications probably speak very limited English, and cannot reasonably be expected to deduce things from erroneous applications. The onus is on the applicant to make sure his form is 100%. 

What a strange world we live in! I find myself agreeing with @Liverpool Lou????????.

As for giving one the run around I have found my local Immigration Office helpful. After several years on an extension based on being the parent of my daughter, last year I had a life changing injury, which together with a considerable amount of medical treatment and having to take early retirement as a result, has led to me being unable to renew that extension when it falls due at the end of October, or to travel to Savannakhet to get a fresh visa - sitting in a bus for 12 hours would be agony. My State Pension does not begin until the end of January. The Immigration office suggested a solution; get a visa exempt land entry from Burma or Laos, ( both close to where I live and within my ability to travel), extend it and then repeat the process. That gives me 4 months by which time I will be able to travel to Savannakhet, get a fresh multi entry visa. Then, after a year, my finances will have improved to allow me to go back onto annual extensions. So I have found them helpful, suggesting a solution.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, London Boy said:

When I was in my 40's I did two Ed visas. 1 to learn the language, and 1 learning Muay Thai (but not back to back) in between there were various tourist visas, new passports etc. I eked out an existence for 7 years before COVID got me over the line, and I turned 50. Well worth it in my opinion, to continue living here.

How did you fund 7 years.?

• Confused 3

20 hours ago, bob smith said:

sick of this 'ed visa' bums.

the place is littered with em!

indeed.

And they have so much time ahead of them, at least the aging whore <deleted> have the courtesy to die off. 

Edited by n00dle

5 hours ago, bob smith said:

i'm leaving for business, Frits.

I also said that I will always be keeping a base here in Thailand, along with my LEGIT visa.

Please do try and keep up!

You are leaving for business. Do you have your own company or business?

My friend is self employed and travels to Thailand regularly on a business visa. He has to produce a letter to immigration from his employer (himself) and he often stays 6 motnhs or so. Out for a month and then back.

He does do business here, before anyone asks.

On 9/6/2023 at 4:28 PM, Faranguz said:

read that Immigration is cracking down on ED visas and it's getting hard to get one.

People have been saying the same for the last 10 years, don't believe everything you read.

It's still easy to get one and probably the easiest and cheapest way to stay here for another year hassle free

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, London Boy said:

When I was in my 40's I did two Ed visas. 1 to learn the language, and 1 learning Muay Thai (but not back to back) in between there were various tourist visas, new passports etc. I eked out an existence for 7 years before COVID got me over the line, and I turned 50. Well worth it in my opinion, to continue living here.

Seems like we both had the same kind of journey ????

Came here when I was 34, spent a total of 7 years on Ed visas, one year on a business visa when it was easy to get one 

The rest were Border runs, Tourist visas, renewing passports every couple of years so I could get more Tourist visas

At just under 49 I was really starting to struggle for my next visa, was going to do another Ed visa to see me through my last year before I hit 50

Then COVID hit and I got more than a year from COVID extensions to see my over the magical 50 years old and a Retirement visa ????

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

Many reports from the last week that the ME Non O in Savannakhet is getting a lot harder to get. Many people getting refused, some asked to phone wife, some asked to produce wife.

This option is not the sure thing it once was

Without specifics, your 'many reports' and 'many people' are worthless. I did witness several Chinese guys with their 'wives' when I was picking up my 1-year MENO in Savanakhet last April. Maybe those are the ones that are being bailed up or causing any tigher scrutiny? Alternatively, maybe a few expats who are... estranged, are trying to pull a fast one?

12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Without specifics, your 'many reports' and 'many people' are worthless. I did witness several Chinese guys with their 'wives' when I was picking up my 1-year MENO in Savanakhet last April. Maybe those are the ones that are being bailed up or causing any tigher scrutiny? Alternatively, maybe a few expats who are... estranged, are trying to pull a fast one?

Seeing as I was chatting in real time to a person in the queue and he was relaying what was happening, the only worthless thing is your comment!

And the specifics are clearly documented on another advice page.

Edited by bigt3116
add info
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Lots of unhelpful posts in this thread. 

I guess the ED visa is still probably the best option. But you must look for one of the reputable schools and be serious with the lessons as they might check your Thai skills.

There is also a Smart Visa advertised in this Forum : 

No idea how good and legit it is but this is a possibility if you have some online income. I would like to have some feedback too.

There are also some companies which employ you if you pay a part of your income : https://iglu.net/relocate-to-thailand/ It may have a path to permanent residency too which could be nice.

The marriage visa is obviously the simplest option. But I guess you don't want to gamble at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...