Thaksin may be released on October 13th as his prison status becomes a growing political target

webfact

7 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

He was accused of these crimes by his political opponents. At times the evidence presented was less than convincing. Then he was overthrown by a military coup, at a time when all the indicators were that he would win the pending election, (funnily enough the same thing happened with his sister). Then he was tried and sentenced by the coup installed junta (again as was his sister). No other country even bothered to consider extradition or limiting their freedom to travel the world.

If there was ever a political conviction, in a pathetic and transparent attempt to justify a coup that was it.

I am quite prepared to accept arguments that Thaksin was corrupt, and his manipulation of the tax laws for example was wrong, I am less than enamoured of his and his sidekicks manipulation of the current political situation to ensure his return; but frankly his corruption pales when compared to that of the succession of coup installed and gerrymandered regimes which have been "fixed" over the last two decades. And over all the protests of his mendacity by the self righteous towers the elephant in the room, which is still evacuating it's bowels enthusiastically over Thai Democracy. He (and his sister) were the emphatic choice of the Thai people to form a government. If you ignore that ("but, but, but Thaksin") then you ignore democracy, whether you are a Thai politician or an expatriate observer.

Agree with all of that. People just hate him cause he's rich. They don't actually have any proof of anything.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Bravo! Whoever planned and directed this political farce should get an Oscar!

I'm sure it was a very expensive production for him! 

But he'll recoup the cost, no doubt! ????

Everything we read about Thaksin since he came back was planned and rehearsed to the exact smallest details not leaving anything for chance, thinking to him self how lucky I'm my people are so gullible and dumb,  it's nothing but a big joke and shame on the Thai people to be bamboozled in such clear to see charade.

Edited by ezzra
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

Please help me. I don't understand how bats are coming here into? And why bats got a channel? Where?? I'm very confused. Enlighten me! ????

It's a reference to the sign-off line from the popular 60's Batman live action TV series starring Adam West. 

At the end of each show, an announcer would tease the forthcoming episode with the words: "Tune in next week. Same bat-time, same bat-channel."

Nowadays the phrase, "Same bat-time, same bat-channel" is often used to refer to a series of events that are predictably consistent.

(Answers based on Quora responses but modified and consolidated).

I will raise a glass of Leo when Thaksin is finally set free in the homeland.

The man might be corrupt, but show me a powerful person who isn't, in the entire world?!

He is a hero among the working classes and an enemy of the wokeing classes - this makes him a decent human being.

Thaksin for PM!

• Sad 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, daejung said:

Why don't you complain about coup maker Prayut who is free ?

Prayut didn't do anything illegal in the system at this point.  Then again until the military loses any power, we will never know as he is protected.

Thaksin had very few friends and the army and wealthy were definitely out for blood.

The jail term does not surprise me and I think he will serve most of it in hospital or plush confines.

The question then becomes how does this affect the people and the political landscape.

Many military backers saw/see Thaksin as the anit christ so to speak.  

The fact that the miltary which had stated they would charge him if he ever came back are gong to hurt.

The fact that PT made the deal that they did with the senate and the military to bring him home to preferential treatment and may want to show him as the retruning hero is going to hurt them.

Can the MFP keep the heat on and keep this fresh in people's minds.

Will the other political 112 prisoners get released or is the preferential tratement going to be maintained so that it can be thrown in the face of PT t the next election?

The other question is how will the Yellow shirts take this if they are still active?

Going to be very interesting.  I expect as another article points out that one of his kids will be his mouth piece adn he will stay as the puppet master.

31 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

It's a reference to the sign-off line from the popular 60's Batman live action TV series starring Adam West. 

At the end of each show, an announcer would tease the forthcoming episode with the words: "Tune in next week. Same bat-time, same bat-channel."

Nowadays the phrase, "Same bat-time, same bat-channel" is often used to refer to a series of events that are predictably consistent.

(Answers based on Quora responses but modified and consolidated).

Thank you. I should have asked my grand parents ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Everything we read about Thaksin since he came back was planned and rehearsed to the exact smallest details not leaving anything for chance, thinking to him self how lucky I'm my people are so gullible and dumb,  it's nothing but a big joke and shame on the Thai people to be bamboozled in such clear to see charade.

Shame on farangs for whinging. 

25 minutes ago, bendejo said:

I've been trying to figure what is motivating him.  He is worth around US$2 billion (per Forbes), but ya never can get enough, eh?

The only other particular goal that he couldn't otherwise achieve on his own would be what is quoted. 

Vanity.

He doesnt like these other nations. Wants to hang with grand kids. Normal behaviour. Money doesnt make you happy.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's not really a surprise that the criminal won't spend too much time in jail.

If he wouldn't have a deal, he wouldn't have returned to Thailand.

I think the big question for the future is if Thaksin will be quiet and play with his grandchildren or if he will be even more active in politics than he was already when he was officially not involved.

And will PT include him on stage as the all-knowing leader?

Thaksin's downfall was his big mouth together with his criminal behavior. Will he do more of the same? Will he continue to behave like he is above the law? If yes, then another crisis for Thailand won't be far.

I hope the best, but I would be very surprised if he would just shut up.

Thaksin will be working full time with his new military allies to keep Move Forward out of power - get out of jail free cards aren’t free.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bendejo said:

I've been trying to figure what is motivating him.  He is worth around US$2 billion (per Forbes), but ya never can get enough, eh?

The only other particular goal that he couldn't otherwise achieve on his own would be what is quoted. 

Vanity.

Legacy.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

There is mounting speculation that former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra may be released from prison in the coming weeks possibly as early as October 13th

If not sooner!  :thumbsup:

Two-tiered justice for the wealthy and connected.  Commoners?  Shut up and do your time, peasants.

• Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Vanity.

You don’t see that he is de-motivated. His attempt to bring the military under civilian control has failed and resulted in personal miseries. He has retreated from his political stance to challenge the military. His active political days are over. 

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Because Prayut did a good job to get rid of Thaksin/Yingluck at that time. People in Bangkok were happy when the coups happened to get rid of the Shinawatras. I was here, I gave soft drinks to the soldiers on the streets. 

But go ahead, you can complain about him. 

Did you have a work permit?

6 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

It's in the pipeline, after Yingluck gets her pardon. I think Thaksin will stay out of the limelight, but will be director incognito 

He couldn't manage that last time, so no reason to think it will be any different now.

6 hours ago, daejung said:

Why don't you complain about coup maker Prayut who is free ?

Maybe because the article is about Thaksin. I myself complain about Thaksin but I don't always feel the need to bring in Prayut. If you're going to mention Prayut why not mention all the others as well. I believe Prayut was involved during the killings in 2010 so yes he should be included, but he wasn't the only one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Because Prayut did a good job to get rid of Thaksin/Yingluck at that time. People in Bangkok were happy when the coups happened to get rid of the Shinawatras. I was here, I gave soft drinks to the soldiers on the streets. 

But go ahead, you can complain about him. 

Whether the former unelected PM did a good job getting rid off the Shinawatras or not is not the point. They were voted in by the people. He stole the country in an illegal coup and his generals stopped Pita from being an elected PM, so Thailand still has an unelected PM today.