It isn't the end of the world, if you have to move to a nearby country in SEA. See the positive things!

Shop mak

2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

deserting my 16 yr old son in the middle of his studies isn't something I could even contemplate.

The "middle way" might be to move the family to another SE Asia country. Bottom line is I have a limit to financial resources.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, Gottfrid said:

Easy to blow a big hole in your not the end of the world story. Here you only point your topic towards single retirees. There are many, that already have problems reaching todays minimum income level. At least if you read the complaints on this forum for a couple of years.

There are many of those who are married, have children, bought car and motorbikes as well as bought land and built a house. All for the reason to live in Thailand with the family in style and comfort.

The wife don´t want to sell, as she was never told there will be any problems. Neither does she want to relocate and nor will the children in school. Here we are talking about a lot of people living in Thailand, and you just start a topic that it´s not the end of the world. What do you think these people have to say about that?

My hope is that, due to the family reasons you cite ... Marriage Visas will not be changed as it would be too detrimental to Thais married to retired foreigners.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

My hope is that, due to the family reasons you cite ... Marriage Visas will not be changed as it would be too detrimental to Thais married to retired foreigners.

Yes, there is always that way to go.

When I came to Thailand 18+years ago I made up my mind that money invested was money i was prepared to lose that has been always the same as none of us know where we stand as governments chop and change the rules at the click of a finger . Yes I have a beautiful beach property by way of a company if it all went belly up I would lock the place up or rent out at a very modest price and move on to the Philippines where my U.K. pension would be increased at the current rate by £30+ per week as far as I am concerned it is the value of the beach land and not the two properties that are on the land and in time when my time has come to meet my maker my two adult grandchildren Brother and Sister will inherit all my possessions both here in Thailand and the U.K. all that is needed in Thailand is that the Company account are kept up to date on a yearly basis that’s unless someone knocks on my door with an offer I cannot refuse that happened with my last Thai property .

'I thought they just want to see you have an acceptable balance in your account to provide for yourself.' 

Well that was the original idea but the latest rules knocked that on the head. Let the balance drop below 400k during the year and IO can refuse to renew your extension. 

Philippines has very easy immig rules. You can actually enter on a visa-free 30 day, (or a 60 day tourist visa) extend it every 2 to 6 months (for a fee) upto 3 years. Leave for one day and start again, I know several who are doing this. 

Edited by biggles45
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1