Did you appreciate living in the 70s, 80s and 90s?

thaibeachlovers

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I was too young to remember much of the 70's but the family pics are hilarious.

The 80's were great. BMXing, skateboarding, playing football (jumpers for goalposts) in the local park and going home for dinner when the street lights came on. Watching 80's TV, ET, Star Wars, Ferris Bueller etc. while playing Scalextric and gaming on the Spectrum 48 and Commodore 64/Amiga.

Then the 90's came with the illegal raves taking pills to dance music in farmer's fields, then off to Uni to get wasted for 3 years during the Oasis Britpop scene before backpacking around the world with my hot blonde 21 year old girlfriend.

Then came the noughties ????. The slide started with Blair and then 9/11. Then we were treated to social media and the rise of the smartphone. Political correctness, the precursor to the scourge of Wokeness etc. Fortunately I still have a great time as I moved to Thailand in 2006 and laugh at much of the nonsense in the West but I am very happy to have grown up when I did.

You are lucky you had a good family to provide you with stability and all your toys.

I was in survival mode in the 80s after my mother died of cancer and my father took off with the neighbor's wife leaving me to fend for myself.  As a young teen I worked two full time jobs and rented a car garage from a friend of my mum in a <deleted>ty housing commission suburb to live in.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

You are lucky you had a good family to provide you with stability and all your toys.

I was in survival mode in the 80s after my mother died of cancer and my father took off with the neighbor's wife leaving me to fend for myself.  As a young teen I worked two full time jobs and rented a car garage from a friend of my mum in a <deleted>ty housing commission suburb to live in.  

I'm sorry to hear that. Although such a situation would have been difficult in any decade.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/11/2023 at 2:40 PM, retarius said:

I can't honestly say I enjoyed my life more when I was young. I was young but had kids, a single income and lots of worries and pressures. I love my life now in my 70s, I loved it a decade ago as well and a decade before that. If a pill existed to take me back to my 20s I'm not sure I would take it to be honest. my life is drawing to a close and I'm happy with that.

What is your gender?

13 hours ago, billd766 said:

I was in the RAF in the 1960s to the early 1980s and whilst there was 'supposedly' free love it never got as far as Norfolk though it did work, to some extent on the odd base and intermittently in Singapore though not in Bahrain.

Music in the 1960s to the early 90s was much better apart from punk and grunge music.

You mentioned Singapore. If you were there in the 70s you may recall a British female presenter on ANZUK radio, whose name I forget, but when I had to go to the station on some errand I got to meet her and I would certainly have welcomed a bit of "free love" with her, given that she was drop dead gorgeous. Needless to say, such was not forthcoming, though she did dedicate a song to me the next show she presented.

30 years later she was working for the BBC, and I knew the voice straight away soon as I heard her.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jingjai9 said:

One force I did not appreciate in the 60's - 90's and beyond was the transformation of hippies to yuppies and then guppies (greedy boomers) who transformed many of our countries around the world into the bifurcated or two-class system we find ourselves living in presently. We could label the two classes as the greedy and the needy. the middle class is being hollowed out.

It is the baby boomer generation which I am a member of that lead many nations in many parts of the world presently. The billionaire class that heads the tech giants, banks and telecommunication companies are in this generation. Not in recent memory have the  salaries of the CEO's of the  giant corporations been at a higher ratio to the rank and file workers; in some companies the ratio is 300:1. 

For every dollar the workers earn, the CEO's get 300 or more. 

The music was so cool oh yeah, I personally loved it. But I cannot accept the idea that "our music was the coolest of all" in the 60's and 70's. The 1930's with the Harlem Renaissance was equal to the 60's,

We must be realistic and leave our egos at the door. What kind of world are we the people from the 60's to the  80's leaving to our children and grandchildren. We wanted to change the world and we sure did, but can we be proud? We did many good things but the mistakes are huge.

"We have not inherited the world from our parents. We have borrowed it from our children." 

I appreciated the  60s and 70s, but saw it slipping away in the 80s and 90s and now I stand here in the 2020s shaking my head with a tear in my eye.

Agree with a lot of that, but I don't think the people in the 60s to 90s were any different to people now. Bad people do win, quite often, and there was no shortage of bad people during those decades.

5 hours ago, bignok said:

I don't care about 2 weeks ago. I used to think about the 1980s but its just a waste of time. I look 3 months ahead at a time.

Yes music is crap now but you can listen to Muddy Waters on youtube.

It makes me laugh when people say music is crap now, because, being an avid music lover of all genres, I see and listen to good music coming out all the time. I can name many relatively new artists that have made very good music the past 2 decades, especially in the progressive rock, folk rock, southern rock, blues and others. I came from the 50's, and listened all through the decades until now, so I've heard it all.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

It makes me laugh when people say music is crap now, because, being an avid music lover of all genres, I see and listen to good music coming out all the time. I can name many relatively new artists that have made very good music the past 2 decades, especially in the progressive rock, folk rock, southern rock, blues and others. I came from the 50's, and listened all through the decades until now, so I've heard it all.

Who cares what you think.

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, bignok said:

You don't know anything. Pretending to be an expert on women and music. 

I don't pretend to be an expert on anything. I do understand women, and relationships, and how they work, even if I have had a few that went sour, like most of us. Music I do know, as well as most anyone on earth, because like hunting and fishing, it's a passion. I have over 40,000 cd's, which would explain that to most anyone, and I know the music on them, meaning I only buy or burn music that is good, and don't waste my time listening to soulless pap.

• Thanks 1

I think a lot of your good times had to do with your age , music which is/was rubbish to many was cool depending on what age you were. To me the best music was between 1965 and 1975 . I was born in '47.

There it is to me the best was when I was a bout 20.  In 1968 at 21yo I had a Morgan , went to The Netherlands to visit an aupair that in England spent many hours in the Morgan.  Never was a better year. Music .......what about Wizard    Run and get the fire brigade.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Yes! I had the great fortune of living in New York City for the entire 1980s and into the early '90s. It was a golden era in New York, the city was coming up from a terrible time in the 70s, and things were really vibrant and alive. Lived in huge lofts downtown, for $2000 a month! (They are now $15,000 and up, per month). Needless to say, when you brought a woman back to a space like that, you got a strong reaction. Always very positive!

The nightlife was amazing, I was into the club scene back then, and of course I was much younger. The ratio of single available straight women to single available straight men was seven to one. It was absolutely ridiculous, like fishing for salmon in Scotland or Alaska. I had a lot of gay friends at the time and they would invite me these incredible loft parties (I guess I was the designated straight friend) where there were 200 people, and 130 were women. Maybe 70 guys, and typically only two straight men in the entire loft, and I was one of them! It was insane. Alot of the women were supermodel types, as they love their gay friends. They were totally open with me, would give me a bear hug and a kiss when meeting me, as they assumed I posed no threat! Ha! Needless to say those those kind of parties resulted in a very good time. Sometimes, I would have to prove to these women, that I was straight, as they could not believe a straight man would want to hang out with their gay friends!

The fashion was horrible back then, and with the exception of Warhol, Basquiat, Mapplethorpe, Kiefer, and Richter, not much great artwork. But red and white Burgundy was cheap, and so were the other great wines of the world. Rents were low, properties were affordable, the standard of living was good, the politicians were less toxic, there was no social media, and the world felt like a better place.

That was really a glorious era, and I look back on it with a lot of fondness.

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I don't pretend to be an expert on anything. I do understand women, and relationships, and how they work, even if I have had a few that went sour, like most of us. Music I do know, as well as most anyone on earth, because like hunting and fishing, it's a passion. I have over 40,000 cd's, which would explain that to most anyone, and I know the music on them, meaning I only buy or burn music that is good, and don't waste my time listening to soulless pap.

You more or less confirm my theory that the current decade (and perhaps the decade prior to this one) is utterly hopeless for new music. Very little of it seems to have soul, wit, charm, or quality. An extraordinary amount of junk music, that seems to be about good marketing, social media hype, and not much else.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

You more or less confirm my theory that the current decade (and perhaps the decade prior to this one) is utterly hopeless for new music. Very little of it seems to have soul, wit, charm, or quality. An extraordinary amount of junk music, that seems to be about good marketing, social media hype, and not much else.

How did I confirm your theory about music when I stated a lot of good music has been coming out all along? Many, and I mean millions, of people have no idea what is out there. Most good music doesn't hit the radio stations. Most is pop music, which sounds a lot the same, promoted towards teenagers who go to their concerts, buy their music, and have no idea there is tons of music much better that they will never hear. There are progressive rock bands, who have some of the best musicians worldwide, that never get heard by again, millions of people, because promoters themselves either don't understand what good music is, or go for the money, the teens and early 20 crowd that buy a certain kind. Some people live their whole lives not knowing hat good music is. My girlfriend here had only heard some of what's popular of American and European music, not getting close to touching what I've turned her onto the last almost 3 years. She understands English pretty well, and I've been turning her onto music 95% of Thais will never hear, and also movies that will never be seen on any Thai channels besides the same action movies with the same stars. All about money. If you told me what genre of music you like, hopefully not pop, I can give you examples of new or relatively new music that's good. When I say good, I mean musically, melodic, good lyrics, rockin', drawn out guitar solos, etc. Of course most music innovation came out from the 50's to the 80's, and a lot are copying others styles, but that doesn't mean there isn't any good sounding music that's new now.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

How did I confirm your theory about music when I stated a lot of good music has been coming out all along? Many, and I mean millions, of people have no idea what is out there. Most good music doesn't hit the radio stations. Most is pop music, which sounds a lot the same, promoted towards teenagers who go to their concerts, buy their music, and have no idea there is tons of music much better that they will never hear. There are progressive rock bands, who have some of the best musicians worldwide, that never get heard by again, millions of people, because promoters themselves either don't understand what good music is, or go for the money, the teens and early 20 crowd that buy a certain kind. Some people live their whole lives not knowing hat good music is. My girlfriend here had only heard some of what's popular of American and European music, not getting close to touching what I've turned her onto the last almost 3 years. She understands English pretty well, and I've been turning her onto music 95% of Thais will never hear, and also movies that will never be seen on any Thai channels besides the same action movies with the same stars. All about money. If you told me what genre of music you like, hopefully not pop, I can give you examples of new or relatively new music that's good. When I say good, I mean musically, melodic, good lyrics, rockin', drawn out guitar solos, etc. Of course most music innovation came out from the 50's to the 80's, and a lot are copying others styles, but that doesn't mean there isn't any good sounding music that's new now.

Thanks. Your words are encouraging. Perhaps I am not looking hard enough. I love many forms of electronica (not techno, and not house or dub), jazz, classical, progressive or underground hip hop (not the contemporary, commercial garbage) rock (not hard rock), folk, and world music. My taste is very broad, and I am incredibly open minded, for a man of my age. Help me out, please.

• Like 1

Is this a joke? I would do almost anything to grow up in the 80’s again.

Was into the heavy metal scene in the sf Bay Area. Went to many shows at the corner tavern. Saw Metallica, slayer, exodus, venom, etc when they were still garage bands. Also, punk bands at Gilman street. Good times! Lots of drinking, craziness & general immortality!

Edited by JimTripper

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Thanks. Your words are encouraging. Perhaps I am not looking hard enough. I love many forms of electronica (not techno, and not house or dub), jazz, classical, progressive or underground hip hop (not the contemporary, commercial garbage) rock (not hard rock), folk, and world music. My taste is very broad, and I am incredibly open minded, for a man of my age. Help me out, please.

I'm not into electronica or hip hop. Classical, is great,I grew up listening to my dad's Mantovani, Chopin, Back, Schubert, Brahms, etc etc records and will always have them in my heart. Try Neal Casal for one. Folk and rock, not hard. Took his own life from depression a few years back, but was not only a solo artist with a dozen good cd's, in another 6 bands, but contributed to many others albums. Progressive rock, Mostly Autumn, who have some of the best female singers in rock, Of course Enya, my personal favorite female singer. Downes Braide Association, The Flower Kings, Pendragon, Proto Kaw, RPWL, Spock's Beard, The Old North, Mark Knopfler (still making good music), just to name a few. If you look these artists up, others will appear that are relatively new and comparable. If you like Southern Rock, Rival Sons, Robert Jon and the Wreck, Blackberry Smoke, Whiskey Myers, The Steel Woods, are some that aren't too heavy but along the line of the Allman Brothers, Skynyrd and The Outlaws.

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You mentioned Singapore. If you were there in the 70s you may recall a British female presenter on ANZUK radio, whose name I forget, but when I had to go to the station on some errand I got to meet her and I would certainly have welcomed a bit of "free love" with her, given that she was drop dead gorgeous. Needless to say, such was not forthcoming, though she did dedicate a song to me the next show she presented.

30 years later she was working for the BBC, and I knew the voice straight away soon as I heard her.

I never listened to the radio very much over there. I spent most of my free time in the NAAFI or the Malcom club on camp depending on which still had duty free beer, the darts club behind the NAAFI, at one of the bars in the village, around Bugis Street in downtown Singapore, the Britannia Club opposite Raffles playing slot cars or sleeping.

I was also in the yacht club at Seletar and the RAF gliding club at the RM helicopter base at Sembawang.

I drank and ate too much in keeping with servicemen traditions when posted abroad but I had a great time.

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I never listened to the radio very much over there. I spent most of my free time in the NAAFI or the Malcom club on camp depending on which still had duty free beer, the darts club behind the NAAFI, at one of the bars in the village, around Bugis Street in downtown Singapore, the Britannia Club opposite Raffles playing slot cars or sleeping.

I was also in the yacht club at Seletar and the RAF gliding club at the RM helicopter base at Sembawang.

I drank and ate too much in keeping with servicemen traditions when posted abroad but I had a great time.

Great times in Singapore indeed. Certainly my most enjoyable posting.

If you mean the gliding club at Kangaw, I used to see the gliders flying there from Dieppe Barracks. I was also quartered at Nee Soon with the famous Transit Road for all things desired.

I spent many a night in Bugis Street- certainly nothing like it anywhere else I have ever been.

Happy days, but all gone to history.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

Is this a joke? I would do almost anything to grow up in the 80’s again.

Was into the heavy metal scene in the sf Bay Area. Went to many shows at the corner tavern. Saw Metallica, slayer, exodus, venom, etc when they were still garage bands. Also, punk bands at Gilman street. Good times! Lots of drinking, craziness & general immortality!

70s for me. Saw the world, enjoyed life. 80s were spoiled by the wrong woman, and the 90s were interesting, but only enjoyable on the times I spent in Thailand ( as often as possible ).

Music was just background then. Didn't get into it till the 90s, but never rap or hip hop etc. Loved Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac, Springsteen, De Burgh etc.