Did you appreciate living in the 70s, 80s and 90s?

thaibeachlovers

Lived in Greenwich Village 75-90, with broad guest list privileges for live shows (my brother was a semi-famous bouncer).

So for example, in one week, I saw Madonna open for Prince, Shawn Colvin (pretty good folk singer), and Sun Ra, a jazz legend now much more famous post mortem.

Another week might be Tito Puente in the park for free, Run DMC/Red Hot Chili Peppers, and some only famous in New York band like Lydia Lunch. 

And at those shows, you could meet interesting people, many of them women. My best years are right now, but those were great days. 

16 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

More fun being 20 in the '70s than 70 in the '20s.

Haha, yes youth has many advantages. 

Certainly for some tho, that's not necessarily true. Especially those fortunate enough to have health, spending money and reside here or other parts of SE Asia now

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The best time ever for me is now!

Back in the good old days I was always a bit frustrated by lacking access to sex (even though I was married).

And the tech wasn't all that handy either, radio where I had to listen to what the DJ wanted to play, TV where I had to watch what was available on 3 channels that didn't start until 5:30pm. Books that the local library had chosen to stock. Life was all very limited.

Today, I can download any movie, TV show, music or books and have as much sex as I could ever imagine all easily available at either no, or little cost.

You only have lots of sex because you were lucky enough to discover Thailand when you had loadsacash. I didn't reference this century at all, which was when I discovered LOS, as my query was more about life in general, not how much sex we had.

I too had loadsasex in Thailand, but the rest of my life working in western countries sucked ( and not in a good way ). I didn't like anything much about this century- humanity has gone over regulated, PC, woke, overpopulated, overpolluted, too greedy, too many nasty people and generally unpleasant. Having a few nice songs doesn't make life in general better.

Anyway, I didn't start the thread to moan about life now, but about did we appreciate how good it was back then.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, xylophone said:

Thank heaven that in my younger days we didn't have women with nose rings, lip rings, facial studs and the like, nor any tattoo's, or none that you could see anyway!

Born in 1947, so experienced the 50s, and the 60s and 70s were brilliant, with far too much adventure and excitement to recall here.

The 80s were good, with a fantastic job in NZ, which enabled me to dine out wherever I wanted, and date some pretty Kiwi girls – – wouldn't change it for the world, and I'm well satisfied with what I'm doing at the moment, which is not much at all, apart from spending far too much time on the computer and collecting red wine.

Thanks for answering the topic.

Only Kiwi girls I knew were too good to "party", and I never got to know any bad girls. I had to wait till I was posted to Singapore to have some "fun times".

Prefer Asian girls.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The exceptions might be people who experienced war. 

Depends on the war, and what they did in the war. All NZ military that went to Vietnam were volunteers, and none that I spoke to regretted going. While they were not ecstatic to have gone, they were not unhappy about going.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I definitely feel privileged to have "come of age" during the 70s and 80s.

It was a simpler time where people didn't rely on technology and hand held electronic devices to run their lives. 

People weren't so easily offended and snowflakes were just something that fell from the sky every winter.

Well said. UTV.

27 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Depends on the war, and what they did in the war. All NZ military that went to Vietnam were volunteers, and none that I spoke to regretted going. While they were not ecstatic to have gone, they were not unhappy about going.

Very interesting thanks! Did New Zealand have National Service at that time? So there was no conscription? Only members of the regular forces who actually volunteered were deployed?

17 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

agreed 60s were the best for MODs on scooters and ska and blue beat 45s

soho R and B clubs were rocking all nite long 

keith was playing 98.6  

Good morning sun, I say it's good to see you shinin'
I know my baby brought you to me
She kissed me yesterday hello your silver linin'
Got spring and summer runnin' through me

Hey, 98.6, it's good to have you back again, oh
Hey, 98.6, her lovin' is the medicine that saved me
Oh, I love my baby
Hey everybody on the street, I see you smilin'
Must be because I found my baby
You know she's got me on another kind of highway
I want to go to where it takes me

Oh, I love my baby
You know she's got me on another kind of highway
I want to go to where it takes me
Oh, I love my baby

Wow, I just got a super flashback from reading this post and lyrics. Thanks for the post.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Vietnam  wasn't  he only war in the Seventies.  I was 20 in 1973, never fired my gun, just watched the R...eads run back to Egypt. Was great fun, the inventory of what they left behind was a chore though..

Those decades still have a few questionable wars and decisions made by the governments involved. Still not solved and may people still suffer.

Best times for us, but for many others, not so. We could be at a turning point now, and those who suffered have forgotten.

51 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Very interesting thanks! Did New Zealand have National Service at that time? So there was no conscription? Only members of the regular forces who actually volunteered were deployed?

National Service ended in 1972, and I'm sure none of them went to Vietnam.

I actually got my National Service call up after I joined, so I got the better deal by joining the regulars.

Even in the regulars, only volunteers went to Vietnam.

Best decision of my life joining up. Saw a lot of the world that I never would have otherwise.

• Love It 1