American man faces dilemma as Thai girlfriend’s parents demand 1 million baht dowry

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Maybe he decided to stick with American traditions.

I stick with my own traditions regardless of where I am, they keep reminding us that we're not Thai - well this is a perfect example of that.

Not thai - don't care for their nonsense customs and traditions.

Doesn't this fall under the people trafficking laws?

Exactly!

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

Some individuals online suggested that the dowry served as a form of security for the woman, as her parents might have been concerned that a foreigner would eventually abandon her.

Ironically (not), it's the demand for a 1 million THB dowry (which the parents who own a "shipping company" don't need) that is going to cause her abandonment now - not "eventually."  "Love for $28,000+."  TIT.  You can buy a lot of love and affection in Thailand for 1,000,000 THB and never have to deal with anyone's parents.  Not that 99% of Reddit users would understand.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Already looking to bail = he just looking for cheap sex.

1 rock aint feck all these days.

Typical broke arse cheap charlie, she better off without him.

He could be 25 to 30yo. No mention of age. 1m baht is a lot for a 26yo.

22 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have no kids and obviously there is no daughter who wants to marry.

But if I would have a daughter then obviously I would want that when she marries that she marries a guy who makes her happy and who wants to stay with her longtime.

Would I want that she marries somebody who does not even have 1m THB (28k USD)? I think a foreigner who wants to live in Thailand long term and who wants a family should have that money.

Obviously there are still lots of things which can go wrong. But a first barrier, like, is that guy willing to pay 1m for our daughter, is maybe in the best interest of the daughter. 

Average Thai women might have 100,000 baht. Some might have 500,000 baht. A 26yo farang might have $10,000 to 20,000.

Not everyone has 1m baht to give away and many dont. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bignok said:

He could be 25 to 30yo. No mention of age. 1m baht is a lot for a 26yo.

My guess is that he's in his 20s or early 30s (Reddit users).  All the parent are going to accomplish is to make their daughter into a bitter spinster.  What's her chances of finding a Thai guy whose parents are going to kick in 1 million large for a dowry?  Slim to none.  I've met a number of Thai Uni grads who are past their prime and essentially unmarriageable unless they find a farang later in life. 

1 minute ago, connda said:

My guess is that he's in his 20s or early 30s (Reddit users).  All the parent are going to accomplish is to make their daughter into a bitter spinster.  What's her chances of finding a Thai guy whose parents are going to kick in 1 million large for a dowry?  Slim to none.  I've met a number of Thai Uni grads who are past their prime and essentially unmarriageable unless they find a farang later in life. 

Yes my thoughts as well. Some 30yos are rich, many poor. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Perhaps a compromise and instead agree to pony up for breast implants for her???  At least then, he (and her family) would be getting some tangible return on his investment!

Buy a 1m condo in both names. 50/50. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1