Opinion: Thailand’s ambitious plan to tax incoming funds risks falling flat due to lack of clarity

webfact

1 hour ago, GeorgeCross said:

i wonder what would happen if in your case you transferred 845K under the proposed rule or 100K for that matter.

100% claimed as tax or 30% ?

and if in the latter would the balance rollover to the following year?

devil will be in the details.

Well if they want the receiving bank to withhold tax they would have to withhold some average rate, at least the first year, and then recalculate the effective rate when they do your tax return. The subsequent year the could use the effective rate for withholding, But who knows..

If that was the case I'd transfer 600k to myself, 600 to my wife. Make 100k work of cash withdrawals on my Maestro card  and use my two UBS credit cards. The transfers would only be for building up savings  at minimal  cost (7% Tax). 

But that's totally hypothetical, of course.

6 hours ago, Adumbration said:

I posted just last week that I have been selling my stuff here for the last 12 months and anyone that does not have a bug out strategy already in place will be caught off guard.  As usual my post was riduculed.

As it should be ridiculed. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

7 hours ago, Enzian said:

Several times I've stated on forums that the fact that this government (even more than others) is perfectly capable of changing any rule in any way at any time is why I will never buy a condo here, or contemplate any other long term commitments for that matter. Even if this particular issue quickly blows over (or just doesn't apply to me personally), the point is only reinforced. Myself, if needed, can have everything wrapped up and be out of here for good within two months at most. Caveat emptor.

All the more reason Thailand should be colonized...!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

From the original article...

This ambitious tax reform agenda needs to be more than just a headline. It should be a meticulously crafted policy that serves its constituents — both the haves and the have-nots — without sacrificing economic stability. As it stands, the proposed taxation on incoming funds is a well-intended but half-baked plan, a ship sailing into murky waters without a compass.

This just sums up the whole scheme in a nutshell.

"It should be a meticulously crafted policy that serves its constituents — both the haves and the have-nots — without sacrificing economic stability. "

My friend...what are you smoking...? 

(I know...it's supposedly legal...

but...)

I read that an IO is requesting all extension seekers to fill out a form itemising every foreign transaction for this year 2023. I do hope that this is just a single office and is not a country wide thing and that they are not planning to retroact the taxation change to 2023.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Loopholes, by definition, are perfectly legal. So why wouldn’t he avail himself of it?

Chuvit has obviously been silenced. (sorry, replying to previous comment about the new PMs dodgy tax dealings)

Edited by MartinBangkok
Replying to wrong comment
  • Like 1

Typical sad panic button responses.

Yes indeed the initial "suggestion" to tax incoming funds without any clarification was worthy of some panic.

Was it "The Government" who announced a set plan ? Or was some eager wannabe news writer who wrote it in a way to invite/ incite panic?

Already there has been some clarification that eliminates  much concern for the average  fragile expat.

But it seems that for the sake of sharing comforting objections  that has been ignored ! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Do you seriously think that happens in any developed country?

Of course it doesn’t. You pay taxes when you become tax resident in a country and it gives you none of the benefits that simply being a citizen of that country would give.

give it a break with the being a victim syndrome will you.

Bull<deleted>, try coming to Norway, you get better welfare rights than citizens, before you quickly become a citizen yourself .

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, retarius said:

I read that an IO is requesting all extension seekers to fill out a form itemising every foreign transaction for this year 2023. I do hope that this is just a single office and is not a country wide thing and that they are not planning to retroact the taxation change to 2023.

I can itemise how many middle fingers I will have standing errect.....One...

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Look on the bright side. If they were to be stupid enough to go through with this state-sanctioned theft (i.e. taxing your taxed income twice in the case of remitting savings) then it provides a perfect excuse to relocate to Cambodia or the Philippines. In the latter case, there'll be an added benefit for us Brits as our state pension will be indexed there, unlike in Thailand where it's permanently frozen.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, crazykopite said:

When I moved here 18+ years ago the money I brought over was money I was prepared to lose and that still remains however I invested in property from day one and have more than quadrupled my original income and enjoy a very comfortable life style so it’s a case of swings and roundabouts I did the opposite to you and touch wood it will continue my Chinese neighbour keeps asking me if I want to sell my current property my answer I will give you first offer if I decide to !

The first thing my partner and I did when we arrived in 2010 was buy a condo.  Some 20 property sales later, we have found, like you, that buying property here has proved to be profitable and we also now live a comfortable lifestyle.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am still wondering if the journalists missundertood the taxation idea or if the new Minister of Economy is extremely incompetent.

Only taxing the money coming into Thailand would be a good incentive to leave as much money as possible outside Thailand and would create something worse than doing nothing.

But taxing all the income worldwide wherever it is would make more sense to close the loophole. The money could enter Thailand as soon it is earned because it would be taxed anyway.

• Confused 1

Thai Baht will end up in a desaster.

All currencies surges already!

Gold all time high in Thailand!

Less FDI in Thailand 

Less money from less retirees for the economy (its not the “little”tax; its the whole pension missing for Thailand)

Less Expats

Less income for Thailand because of devaluation Thai Baht

Imports more expensive

Less money transfers into Thai Banks (risky)

But:

Exports will rise:) and the 10,000 Baht gimick hand out might be financed.

Key question is:

How do you prove your money abroad has been taxed 11 years ago when you dont have any paper:).

and

What happen with the buffallo sick/washing machine broken transfers to the missus account?

Positive: This youtubers/digital nomads must pay also:) and they hopefully move to Cambodia.

Edited by Tom H
  • Thumbs Up 2

Another Typically Thailand ill-considered, greedy money grab by the same ol' inept nitwits. Different names and faces, same ol' stooges. If you're really so concerned about financial inequality, then open the vast Thailand coffers and lead by example. Eliminate the caste system.

Provide gainful employment with livable wages...not "slave labor" wages.

And MAN UP and do it from within. Don't do it off the backs of retired foreigners already spending all their hard earned money here.

Take responsibility FOR ONCE. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, El Matador said:

I am still wondering if the journalists missundertood the taxation idea or if the new Minister of Economy is extremely incompetent.

Only taxing the money coming into Thailand would be a good incentive to leave as much money as possible outside Thailand and would create something worse than doing nothing.

But taxing all the income worldwide wherever it is would make more sense to close the loophole. The money could enter Thailand as soon it is earned because it would be taxed anyway.

Near everyone, everywhere, in any capacity is inept here. Apologies to those who'll claim I'm bashing. JUST CALLIN 'EM AS I SEE 'EM. And I've seen 'em for 30 years now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When does the exchange rate profit since the government is in place equalise the tax? Lets say 1 M Baht per year?

Just in rough a quick calculation:

USD/THB 33,0:    30,000 USD

Tax 20%?:               6,000 USD lost

USD/THB 41,x:      24,000 USD (for 1M B)

Right now we have an exchange rate of nearly 36.

5 to go????

Done.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Well if they want the receiving bank to withhold tax they would have to withhold some average rate, at least the first year, and then recalculate the effective rate when they do your tax return. The subsequent year the could use the effective rate for withholding, But who knows..

If that was the case I'd transfer 600k to myself, 600 to my wife. Make 100k work of cash withdrawals on my Maestro card  and use my two UBS credit cards. The transfers would only be for building up savings  at minimal  cost (7% Tax). 

But that's totally hypothetical, of course.

Well, if you have a Thai account abroad you even can use this money over ATM:)

I know many banks with Thai accounts.

Wise i.e.

4 hours ago, Tom H said:

Thai Baht will end up in a desaster.

All currencies surges already!

Gold all time high in Thailand!

Less FDI in Thailand 

Less money from less retirees for the economy (its not the “little”tax; its the whole pension missing for Thailand)

Less Expats

Less income for Thailand because of devaluation Thai Baht

Imports more expensive

Less money transfers into Thai Banks (risky)

But:

Exports will rise:) and the 10,000 Baht gimick hand out might be financed.

Key question is:

How do you prove your money abroad has been taxed 11 years ago when you dont have any paper:).

and

What happen with the buffallo sick/washing machine broken transfers to the missus account?

Positive: This youtubers/digital nomads must pay also:) and they hopefully move to Cambodia.

"Key question is:

How do you prove your money abroad has been taxed 11 years ago when you dont have any paper:). "

Well online on my Gov. pension site i can see how much my Gov. deducted from my monthly pension , and  for the whole year i get an official statement how much pension i received and the total of tax money is whit held .......clear as mud ...and needed for filling in  my tax declaration 

This for a E.U country pension

Edited by david555