Thai baht plummets against the US$

snoop1130

Mavideol  I was in Thailand the last time it hit 40.  100 Baht cost $2.50.  I am leaving for Thailand in a few days.  The money I have there was bought a long time ago at 34.06.  If you were me would you used money from the US if I can get 36 Baht to the dollar or spend the old Baht?

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Don Chance said:

Another reason you wouldn't want to put your money in Thai baht like for a retirement visa. Currency devaluation.

thanks for stating the obvious. do you have a plan for avoiding the 800k rule (400k if you're 'murried' ). the real concern for us peasants is - what with the helicopter money politics being practiced here, I'm sure the Govt would love rake in more cash, by raising the deposit limits on retirement visa extensions.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Now looks like two factors could drive out expats from LoS:  An extended period of Baht inflation, and/or a taxation of our pensions, dividends, interest and cap gains brought into Thailand.

It'svery unlikely and if it did come about, it's not really a problem, as long as you can sell USDT crypto in exchange for TB.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Tom H said:

The Tax issue relates to the Thais in first line:). Not only farangs.

The tax issue is a non-starter.  It is likely that there is some serious exposure, to FX losses, for US$ borrowings by certain Thai industries & government. Remember the Thaitanic? Not exactly the brightest bunch of people in the room.

2 hours ago, LALes said:

Dollar hit 38 last October.  I'd like to see that again this October.  First, we have to hit 37.  Baby steps.  i bought 80,000 baht at 38 last year.  Should have bought 280,000.

Last time that happened I sent over a million baht to pay off the townhouse, made out on the exchange, and killed the mortgage debt/interest payments. If it happens again, may do the same to pay off the last of our rental condo mortgages.

Here's something for the "manipulated baht" conspiracists to chew over:

Thaksin out of the country = wants to move money out = strong baht.

Thaksin back in the country = wants to move money in = weak baht.

Edited by ballpoint
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Plummet is what the pound did after Brexit a lost satang is not oblivion ????

The £ had plummeted well before Brexit go back to 2009 when the then Gordon Brown flogged all the UKs gold reserves I remember getting 35 to the £ a far cry when in 2005 I was getting 74 to the £ this morning it was 44-666 to the £ according to Wise

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Walker88 said:

A little over a month ago oil was trading at ~$78/bbl. Today it is over $90/bbl.

A .6% drop in the baht is within line. Buyers of oil might try to wait for a better price if unhedged, but a major hedge, or price reaching an 'uncle' point, can easily move a spot rate .6% in a day.

Yes, not quite a plummet, but it gets one's attention.

In terms of comparable economies, the US as no. 1 in yearly BPD oil production vs Thailand no. 29, higher oil costs significantly benefits the US, albeit Russia, Saudia Arabia and China. That means greater economic pressure on Thailand.

16 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Noticed it hasn't budged much at all against other prominent currencies of the last several months up to a year.....yet, the U.S. Dollar is showing decline in the same period as it is today - which of course, creates these seemingly false currency fluctuations. It's all manipulated in one manner or another. Part of the dumbed down sleight-of-hand show that we easily accept......and truly has nothing to do with anything [fabricated currency exchange ratings].

What we should be paying attention to is the growing influence of BRICS and the ever present and real downgrading of the U.S. Dollar as a standard currency reserve the world over......all of which is being fast degraded as we speak. Things are changing quickly to the detriment of the traditional Western/Anglophone influence....perhaps for the betterment of the real world. 

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Thailand and major SE Asian players are integrated into BRICS by the next official gathering of this prestigious body. 

Your understanding of the global financial market is remarkable you should be financial professionals! Again what currency will replace the dollar and what is that currencies debt to gdp now? 

• Love It 2

17 minutes ago, Nairbem said:

Your understanding of the global financial market is remarkable you should be financial professionals! Again what currency will replace the dollar and what is that currencies debt to gdp now? 

You do realize the Debt to GDP of the USA isn't anything spectacular, right?

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Baht is always yo-yo'ing. Watching the £/baht this week, went down to 44.12 earlier in the week then shot up to 44.96 on wise yesterday, so sent my monthly money yesterday. If you do not watch your currency most of the month you deserve the losses you get

Monthly money will need increasing from 2024 once they start taxing as income from abroad. Thieving b#st#rds at every trick in the book 20% would be my guess ????????????????

Edited by Toby1947
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Noticed it hasn't budged much at all against other prominent currencies of the last several months up to a year.....yet, the U.S. Dollar is showing decline in the same period as it is today - which of course, creates these seemingly false currency fluctuations. It's all manipulated in one manner or another. Part of the dumbed down sleight-of-hand show that we easily accept......and truly has nothing to do with anything [fabricated currency exchange ratings].

What we should be paying attention to is the growing influence of BRICS and the ever present and real downgrading of the U.S. Dollar as a standard currency reserve the world over......all of which is being fast degraded as we speak. Things are changing quickly to the detriment of the traditional Western/Anglophone influence....perhaps for the betterment of the real world. 

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Thailand and major SE Asian players are integrated into BRICS by the next official gathering of this prestigious body. 

Edited by Iamloki
want to delete. I wasn't signed in when I wrote, and lost the text upon signing in. This is just not worth the trouble.

20 hours ago, Mavideol said:

when I saw the title I thought it had reached 40 baht to 1 USD.... it's just a 0.6% fall  to the dollar nothing (yet) to "plummet" about, if and when it reaches 38-39 then it's a different story 555

Sensationalism, rates were about the same level a few weeks back, must have soared before the plummet.

20 hours ago, Keep Right said:

"prestigious body?" This is a joke, right? BRICS includes communist Russia and China, far left wing Brazil and basket case South Africa. The U.S. dollars is doing just fine and most of the BRICS countries are in decline.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/RTWEXBGS

you must be living in a bubble to believe that! widen ur horizon or be surprised..btw smart money is on the BRICS

Edited by Zapitapi
  • Haha 1

There are market jitters about the govt planning to issue bonds to the tune of about 270 billion baht to partially fund the digital wallet which they have claimed won't be funded with debt and but have refused to say how it will be funded other than by cancelling the old age allowance, done by the last the government.  This is not quite a Liz Truss or LIz Truss in reverse moment but there are some similarities.  The digital wallet is not expected by economists to contribute anything like the economic boost that Srettha is claiming, largely because it is partly funded by cutting other welfare budgets and Thailand being so import dependent around half of what gets spend on consumption goes to imports which reduce GDP growth, ie the contribution of trade to GDP growth is calculated from exports less imports.

• Thumbs Up 1