Give your life a score out of 10 in Thailand and last few years in farangland

sidjameson

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

Im an ex pro golfer, been to 190 countries and dated super models.

What have you done?

I wasn't asking about you, asking about your girlfriend.

Seems you need to read some more self help books

As for your golf, probably a fantasy, you've always been negative towards golfers

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, bignok said:

Im an ex pro golfer, been to 190 countries and dated super models.

What have you done?

Only 5 countries to go, why waste time? I recommend a visit to North Sentinel island, out in the Bay of Bengal, not too far away from Thailand.. They'll welcome such a world traveler.

Just now, scorecard said:

Last 30+ years here in LOS. I'm sad that so many folks have to include words about bar girls, there's plenty of other things in life. My very big item is family, I live with my wonderful caring Thai son and his wonderful Thai wife and 4 great loving grandkids. My delightful Thai wife passed on, she was a doctor of medicine and an inspiration for a happy and fulfilling life. Love the food too. 

Reality. Id guess 50% date bargirls. Most Thais have zero interest in farangs who can't speak Thai.

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Last 30+ years here in LOS. I'm sad that so many folks have to include words about bar girls, there's plenty of other things in life. My very big item is family, I live with my wonderful caring Thai son and his wonderful Thai wife and 4 great loving grandkids. My delightful Thai wife passed on, she was a doctor of medicine and an inspiration for a happy and fulfilling life. Love the food too. 

Why confused, please share why you are confused it might help you to reduce your total ignorance.

• Haha 1

Here 8 years, built a big comfy house to which I could only dream of back in the old country. We won't mention the cost of living being about 1/3rd of what it is back in the old country.

I have always said this, if you have money and live in Thailand, life is good, if you're on the pension, you still have a better life than back in the old country by far, but have to budget wisely, that means no more than a meal a day to compensate you for those 10 large ones at the local water hole every night ????

Thailand 8, the reduced score is 1) because of the corruption and 2) lack of police presence on the roads to control all the idiots who can't drive/ride.

The last few years in farang land, 4.

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

Thailand 8, the reduced score is 1) because of the corruption and 2) lack of police presence on the roads to control all the idiots who can't drive/ride.

Because I like no police presence on the roads and corruption doesn't seem to effect me directly.

Could use a pub downtown but not enough farangs to keep it open. 

5 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Because I like no police presence on the roads and corruption doesn't seem to effect me directly.

Could use a pub downtown but not enough farangs to keep it open. 

Don't get me wrong, I prefer no cops on the road vs cops on the road, but it would be nice to see them out and about sticking it to the cowboys.

The corruption, well, as little as it is on my side, had to fork out 500 baht at immigration the other day to transfer the stamps onto my new passport, it's free, but you try arguing with those bozzo's, and yes it's a little amount but it still urkes me, could have used that for tonight and Saturdays drinks ????

Still an 8, but then again the weather can be a little trying at times as well as the smoke burning, don't start me or that would be another 2 off the cuff when I think about it.

My first year in Thailand: 8

Second Year: 5

Third Year: 2

Fourth Year: 6

Fifth Year until now: 7

The initial fascination with the place wore off fast once it stopped being new. I started a business which hastened my discontent and went through a stage where I felt like I couldn't shake the stress. Every time some new senseless red tape popped up (which as we know can be pretty often), it was like one more nail in the coffin of my personal hellish insanity.

Since that difficult period I decided to either a) leave or b) figure out how to accept what it is - without trying to change all of Thailand to match my ideas of what's best. ????

I've leaned hard into option B and found that after I started getting to the beach more often, better delegating tasks to people who are equipped to deal with bull-splat, and just stop worrying about everything. I also really leaned into building a good social circle of others who are also happy. Now I've found the enjoyment again.

Home country, USA: 6.5-7.5. I do miss my friends and family, and honestly sh*t just works pretty well in my city and it's gorgeous in the summer time. But I don't miss how hard I hard to work just to keep pace with the next unhappy guy when I lived there.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, SbuxPlease said:

Since that difficult period I decided to either a) leave or b) figure out how to accept what it is - without trying to change all of Thailand to match my ideas of what's best. ????

If you had done that on day one your life in LOS would have been soooooo much better.

At some point farangs have to stop banging head on brick wall and complaining that it hurts.

10 for the Uk 

Nothing wrong with the country or set up, I just didn't exploit opportunities to the full, but did ok, my time there has enabled me to retire to Thailand 

Thailand 10 because, here I am, and any short comings should have been identified and already taken into account previously, I made the choice to live here, Thailand did not invite me 

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

15 in LOS. So low in farangland as to not register. Haven't seen a pretty feminine female since I left LOS, and the prices of things are outrageous, and don't get me started on rents.

To see pretty women in America, all you have to do is go outside. When I lived there, I saw them everyday, especially in larger towns like Austin and San Antonio. I think Thai ladies are the prettiest females on earth, but there were some western women that would rival any here. Prices suck, but that's happening here also, and will continue to rise.

• Like 1