What Thai cities could you live in?

bignok

Pretty much any/all. Lived in BKK for 23 years. Spent many months in Pattaya on and off. Lived in Kanchanaburi for a year. Udon Thani for 3 consecutive months. Now living in Jomtien for 2 years and counting.

Faves in order:

Chiang Mai

Jomtien

Bangkok

Kanchanaburi 

Hua Hin area would be cool

Edited by Skeptic7

8 hours ago, bignok said:

Is there 5 that you like?

Hard to choose a city In Thailand, but a Ampur in the city province I could choose many places. Happy with our valley in Isaan, which is great base to travel every place when we want.

Now Korat City

If still Thailand after 70 (15 years to go) Hua Hin, Cha Am, Pattaya, or any other place with all necessary facilities needed within short distance. Time will show, but I might buy an apartment soon, if the right one show up. 

When I was, “casing” Thailand on my four monthlong visits in 2009 and 2010, I traveled around to see where I would like to settle. As I prefer the mountains over seashore living, I was drawn to the North. From the cities I visited, it seemed that Udon Thani, Loei, even Mae Hong Song were doable but … well, Chiang Mai had five universities and I thought I might continue working with students having retired teaching undergraduate history courses. Perhaps conversational English. As it turned out, I found I was happily retired and so donated the suits, dress shirts, ties, etc. Uniform of the day remains sandals, shorts, polo shirt.

Edited by wwest5829
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, daejung said:

1) Bangkok

2) Bangkok

3) Bangkok

4) Bangkok

5) Bangkok

If I had loads of money , the only city I could live in would be Bangkok, a beautiful apartment, lots of things to do, great restaurants and a driver on hand.  But… most cities come with pollution , and I’d avoid the rainy season too, so none. I need the sea air.

10 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Chiang Mai

Chiang Rai

Phayao

Lampang

Khon Kaen

and any other cities away from the beach and bar culture of ex-pats down south.

I now live in Siem Reap.

Beautiful areas, but I would prefer Chiang Rai first

I could also lived in Korat area as well, a city which have everything but also have the landscape, national parks and mountains close by, as well getting the infrastructure with elevated highways to BKK, and not to forget the high speed train also coming. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Thanks 1

On 9/21/2023 at 6:12 AM, bignok said:

Is there 5 that you like?

Bangkok is the only place in Thailand I would call a city.  The others are just big towns; and some (actually most) of them are boring sh*tholes (Buriram City I'm looking at you!)

After going all over Thailand, I would only ever want to live in Bangkok.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1