Prevention of swimmer's ear (external ear infection)?

Lorry

I normally go swimming every day.

Got external otitis (inflammation of the external ear) on the right side. ENT doctor cleaned the ear (by suction) and prescribed amoxicillin/clavulanic acid for a week,  no swimming. I added hydrogen peroxide drops. 

After a week, everything was fine.

But the other ear developed the same problem. It started when still on amoxicillin/clavulanic acid and got worse when I started swimming again. After swimming,  I used hydrogen  peroxide drops on both ears,  that was useless.  Another ENT doctor cleaned the ear (by suction) and prescribed Cravit ear drops, no swimming.

I have started to blow-dry the ears,  the doctor laughed it off.

A friend (diver) got diluted vinegar drops before swimming, and there are commercially available "Swim Ear" drops. The doctor has never heard of this,  and doesn't think it might help. Any experience? Is this avalable in Thailand? 

Any other idea how to prevent this from happening again? 

Supposedly, there are ear plugs for swimming? I use ear plugs to sleep,  they would definitely fall out when swimming. 

Edited by Lorry

Swim Ear drops are from Aus, someone could send them over.

I use swimming ear plugs and after the swim pour an earful of hydrogen peroxide or similar.

Mostly now I try to keep to breaststroke to stop the ear problem.

I you swam in cold water (winter in Sydney) and all year round, you may have the bones growing over the ear canal, so when water gets in, it can't get out, therefore infection.

I've had these bones cut out twice. The latest operations just go thru the ear canal where as the ones before made a big cut behind the ear.

If you ever have to have bones removed, and you get sea sick, the doctor can give anti seasick injection. I was sooooo sick (seasick) after the operations.

Edited by carlyai

Used to happen to me all the time. I got ear plugs at the local Thailand pharmacy. The waterproof wax kind that mold in to your ear. 75 baht. You can get them on Lazada also. They don’t fall out.

I also blow dry my ears after swimming, pulling down on the ear lobe to dry the inner ear. Hold it a foot or two away on lowest heat setting. You can get a cheap blow dryer on Lazada for 80 baht. 

No problems since. I attribute it primarily to the blow drying.

IMG_0299.jpeg

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lorry said:

I normally go swimming every day.

Got external otitis (inflammation of the external ear) on the right side. ENT doctor cleaned the ear (by suction) and prescribed amoxicillin/clavulanic acid for a week,  no swimming. I added hydrogen peroxide drops. 

After a week, everything was fine.

But the other ear developed the same problem. It started when still on amoxicillin/clavulanic acid and got worse when I started swimming again. After swimming,  I used hydrogen  peroxide drops on both ears,  that was useless.  Another ENT doctor cleaned the ear (by suction) and prescribed Cravit ear drops, no swimming.

I have started to blow-dry the ears,  the doctor laughed it off.

A friend (diver) got diluted vinegar drops before swimming, and there are commercially available "Swim Ear" drops. The doctor has never heard of this,  and doesn't think it might help. Any experience? Is this avalable in Thailand? 

Any other idea how to prevent this from happening again? 

Supposedly, there are ear plugs for swimming? I use ear plugs to sleep,  they would definitely fall out when swimming. 

Where were/are you swimming? If it is in a public swimming pool, do they treat the water; they should test it and add chlorine on a weekly basis at least. If not, stop swimming there.

11 minutes ago, safarimike11 said:

Where were/are you swimming? If it is in a public swimming pool, do they treat the water; they should test it and add chlorine on a weekly basis at least. If not, stop swimming there.

Condo pool, its heavily chlorinated, maybe too much

I am susceptible to ear infections from tropical sea water when scuba diving. I was given some ear drops by a doctor at a dive centre and it solved the problem totally and never had any further issues. Washed with fresh water on surfacing and added a drop or two of medicine to each ear. I seem to recall that they were antibiotic but could be wrong. Sorry I can't remember the name of the medicine but you might try a diving website or forum.

• Like 1

I use these. Dual purpose: secure ear plugs & high quality MP3 player. Have tried cheaper products but they all stop working. I buy extended 2 year warranty so get a new set FOC if required inside 3 years. 
Hydrogen Peroxide used regularly works best for me. 

IMG_8089.jpeg

I've been using Swim-Ear for more than 20 years, even after I take a shower. When I don't use it, I get an infection within about a week (or two) in one of my ears. When I use it after shower or swimming, I never have a problem. (It's not available in Thailand except by ordering online. I bought 3 last time I ordered, which was a long time ago. Can't remember which company)

image.png.963fb9572d0133d9b3c6a086ac22b7d5.png

• Like 1

The "Swim Ear" product you mention is quite popular in the States. I (and many others) have found that if you mix up equal parts of Hydrogen Peroxide and Rubbing Alcohol, it very effective in cleaning and drying if you use after every swim. Put a couple drops in each ear (one at a time of course) and drain after bubbling stops. You'll have clean ears from the HP and dry ears from the Alcohol.

To deal with the present infection, I suggest (as it works wonders for me all the time) to use:
Ciprofloxacin 500 (one after bkfst/dinner)
Tarivid Ear Drops (4 drops twice a day)
Once your ears are OK again, use corded ear plugs each and every time - 3M has an excellent choice, worthwhile the money and happy days in the pool again ????