Did you just go on the spur of the moment

georgegeorgia

12 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

It's too late .....that's why .

You can't just leave somewhere and try to move back especially for the money he will have left .

He had to live now for the next 40 years or so on that .

Are you insane?

You think he will live to a 100?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

How many years does he have left? Do you know what percentage of the population lives to be 110? He likely has no more than 25 years left. And he has enough money, especially with his pension. 

Quite the contrary to your position. Life is way too short to hang out in a broken down nation, that gives you no fulfillment. 

In some ways your right , but I'm not pushed to leave ,I still have my secure government job, I have my own house ,and retirement funds but if I leave my job and will never get another one at my age 

So I must keep on planning 

If I was pushed out like him (sacked)  then maybe but what if something happens, I might go to Philipines /Thailand and then get sick and then what ?

What do I do if they say suddenly I need cancer treatment or something, I would have nothing to come back to in Australia 

I always recall that YouTuber who got cancer and he left it too late by the time he got back to his home country.

Edited by georgegeorgia

17 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

No but he is in " paid disclpline suspension leave " by Human resources 

Only rumours what he done but apparently used the work email to send "something" to a female colleague who he thought liked him .

He was going thru a bad divorce at the time , he still was emotional the other day in the work mealroom when he visited.

He looked like he had a breakdown, he was saying he is off and won't be back.

He had no more house in Australia,and he has 2 daughters who apparently he is not close to 

23 million baht sounds a lot but if he gets sick ,I told him he can't come back to Australia with no money he is off on November,

30 ,one way ticket to Koh Samui apparently,

It's a risk ...a very big risk 

In his case he is losing his job,100 percent he will be sacked , 

but how many of you would LEAVE a secure job and take that risk with 20 million or 23 in his case 

Ok he is possibly the right age ,I myself I can't risk it I'm too scared ...but .. remember he is only risking it because of a tragedy in his life has pushed him this way ....loss of job....divorce ......

Pretty much says it all.

You think only multimillionaires can relocate to Thailand?

5 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

There is a man at my work currently on disciplinary paid leave .

But he is 60 and recently divorced and has  1 million dollars AUD which is 23 million baht  , after selling the house in Australia and retirement savings combined 60yo

He is going to Thailand ,no plans ,no nothing ,he has been there many times 

I told him not to ,he said stress ,life ,divorce , has given him a breakdown he must leave as soon as the money hits his bank account,he starts crying to me at work on one of his days of interview,he said I had enough, the house is sold ,the Superannuation will hit the bank account and I'm off ,no planning ,no nothing and I won't be back !! 

Obviously he won't survive,why ?

No planning ,I'm 62 and still planning , unable to survive on that money for the next 50 years he has left .

Did you plan on retiring to Asia or just left !

He says he has no plan.

You mentioned he's been to Thailand many times before so he does have some insight into places, types of accommodation, costs, food, available transport etc.

Truth is he's probably, unconsciously, got some parameters already in his thinking.

On the other hand if he's a person who just spends without any thinking then so be it, and yes he'll be broke fairly quickly, and it's doubtful you'll change his thinking and trpical behaviors. Bottom line, my guess i there's several thousand foreigners in Thailand, at any time who are the same. Up to them.

Personally I had several short holidays / short work stints in LOS when I was stationed in Singapore.

Then my company offered me a good long-term posting to Bangkok, never looked back. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

He is 60 next month ,he won't get the old age pension (67)  because he obviously won't come back. And obviously they won't pay you with a lot of money in the bank 

Does Australia not pay out the state pension if you have money? sounds odd. How much is it worth per month?

If he has a secure government job, I'd imagine the superannuation is good also?

40 minutes ago, Sigma6 said:

Does Australia not pay out the state pension if you have money? sounds odd. How much is it worth per month?

If he has a secure government job, I'd imagine the superannuation is good also?

The Australian Federal government does not pay you the full old age pension (67yo) if you have a certain amount in the bank ,I think it's around $250,000 then you lose so much ,some don't get it at all if they are self funded drawing on  their retirement savings they saved all their life.

I believe the UK also has a assets limit ?

The current old age pension I believe  around $1100 per fortnight 

The guy I'm talking about is using his own retirement savings (we call it  Superannuation) that he has paid into thru his working career .

Currently the employer must pay around 10,% on top  your salary into Superannuation 

He cannot apply for the old age pension until he is 67 but he may have too much cash  to be eligible,even then he has  to go come back to Australia for a whole 2 years residency to be eligible to apply ! 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I doubt he's got more than 5-10 years left.

I'm totally amazed at the number of guys thinking thell make 70+. It's just a fantasy.

I don't understand why not ,I am planning to 100.

That's why I'm still working and doing shift work and overtime even at my age which I'm finding it very hard to work one week day and then night etc but I'm doing it so I can retire in case I live to 100

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Jelli said:

I'd be quite ok with the 32M THB + interest for what appears to be 30 years of life left.

I don't even understand why this is posted. What single man can't live in Thailand on like 1.5m THB a year?

You don't understand inflation ,in 20 years that won't be enough 

Go back 20 years ago the expenses were different 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I don't understand why not ,I am planning to 100.

That's why I'm still working and doing shift work and overtime even at my age which I'm finding it very hard to work one week day and then night etc but I'm doing it so I can retire in case I live to 100

Not sure you should be giving the advice if you are forced to do this.

Edited by noobexpat
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

I love all your posts but you lack "planning" 

What if he gets sick ?

He is 60 next month ,he won't get the old age pension (67)  because he obviously won't come back. And obviously they won't pay you with a lot of money in the bank 

It's planning that's lacking , life just can't fall into place ,it must be planned.

Running away to another country to be escape past life 

23 million baht only , no house in Australia, no support , what if something happens?

What if he is involved in a accident or legal dispute in Thailand, how long does 23 million last a 60yo man ? 

Colleagues tried talking him out of it and to get a job in a petrol station at night or Bunnings hardware store but he was. Emotional 

So, with 23 million what age do you think he can go?

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

In some ways your right , but I'm not pushed to leave ,I still have my secure government job, I have my own house ,and retirement funds but if I leave my job and will never get another one at my age 

So I must keep on planning 

If I was pushed out like him (sacked)  then maybe but what if something happens, I might go to Philipines /Thailand and then get sick and then what ?

What do I do if they say suddenly I need cancer treatment or something, I would have nothing to come back to in Australia 

I always recall that YouTuber who got cancer and he left it too late by the time he got back to his home country.

You know that retirement in South East Asia is not for everyone. It may be better that you accept South East Asia is only a holiday for you and plan on staying in Oz.  If you plan on living to 100 it is the safer choice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

You don't understand inflation ,in 20 years that won't be enough 

Go back 20 years ago the expenses were different 

You don't understand money or life.

There has been technically little to no inflation up until 2018.

1. It's plenty of money

2. You'll stay home saving and worrying until you can't leave OR so old and worried you don't want to risk your precious healthcare ... BS usually anyway and will be g7 bankrupt in a decade regardless

So... keep on saving!

I called it quits thirty years ago. I've made it until 63 and have a bit more than half of what the sum posted by op. I'm married as well.

Once the tiny social security sum kicks in two years that will be 40k THB more.

But hey, keep worrying and by all means keep paying taxes! ????

????????????????????☁️????

Edited by Jelli
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I told him not to ,he said stress ,life ,divorce , has given him a breakdown he must leave as soon as the money hits his bank account,he starts crying to me at work on one of his days of interview,he said I had enough, the house is sold ,the Superannuation will hit the bank account and I'm off ,no planning ,no nothing and I won't be back !! 

You should try less to control or give advice to grown ups in my opinion.

Obviously he won't survive,why ?

No planning ,I'm 62 and still planning , unable to survive on that money for the next 50 years he has left .

You don't really need to plan to survive if you have $'s, although it does help to plan a budget. That said, he has more than enough to survive here for the next 50 years.

Did you plan on retiring to Asia or just left !

Mine was a plan, took me 8 years because I wanted to remain in Oz till my daughter from a previous marriage completed her HSC and I was turning 55, the perfect age to retire in my opinion

8 years on, the planning has worked very well, no regrets, now I plan to return to Oz in 2 years to work for 2 year at age 65 to survive there, until I reach the pension age being 67, then have it made portable and keep receiving it until in Thailand until I croak, not that I need it, but if I last till I'm 77, then that pension money that I would have put aside will be another nest egg the kids will get, i.e. around 6 million baht which will further set them up here.

Planning is up to the individual, there are those that go without a plan, and we all know if you don't have a plan, you don't have a plan, simple really.

Don't over procrastinate George, just plan where you are going to live and how much you will need to survive on and enjoy the rest of your years.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1