School Appeals for Compassion and Privacy for Siam Paragon Mall Shooter

webfact

image.jpeg

On the evening of October 3rd, a 14-year-old boy’s violent rampage at the Paragon Mall, resulting in injuries and a loss of life, sent shockwaves throughout the society. Amidst the widespread panic and alarm, the boy's school, Dusit Senses, confirmed that the shooter was one of their students.

In a public statement, the school expressed its commitment to cooperate fully with the ongoing investigation. Simultaneously, it appealed to the public for understanding, asking for compassion and respect for the privacy of the young perpetrator and his family.

The gravity of the incident, involving a minor, has thrust not only the horrifying event but also the sensitive issues of juvenile crime and mental health into the national spotlight. As the investigation unfolds, balancing the pursuit of justice with the ethical treatment of a young offender emerges as a complex challenge.

The shocking incident prompts society to grapple with difficult questions concerning youth violence, mental health, and the adequacy of existing mechanisms to identify and address underlying issues before they escalate into tragedy. The aftermath of the Paragon Mall shooting is expected to engender profound reflections on prevention, intervention, and support frameworks for at-risk youth.

Picture: Siam Rath

-- ASEAN NOW 2023-10-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

Credit: Siam Rath

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Compassion for the shooter ... ????

Yes, the 14 yr old has mental problems... can you try to get some understanding of that? Not like when you were 14 and couldn't get a date, but serious mental problems.

Hopefully the kid can get some effective treatment, but Thailand is not known for its mental health programs

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

It seems other countries report shootings and other events without giving the perpetrator exposure in the press. Because it seems that is what some of those perpetrators want.

If they don't get their 15 minutes of fame, then it is less likely that others will do the same. 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The aftermath of the Paragon Mall shooting is expected to engender profound reflections on prevention, intervention, and support frameworks for at-risk youth.

This is Thailand. That above just ain't gonna happen here, particularly among any of those with the power/authority to do anything about it.

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems other countries report shootings and other events without giving the perpetrator exposure in the press. Because it seems that is what some of those perpetrators want.

If they don't get their 15 minutes of fame, then it is less likely that others will do the same. 

Haven't read anything in any of the news reports on this to suggest that this kid was some kind of publicity/attention seeking type....

8 hours ago, webfact said:

appealed to the public for understanding, asking for compassion and respect for the privacy of the young perpetrator and his family.

Are they kidding both him and his family are to blame for this, it's in the public interest to know about him and how he behaved at school. 

33 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Haven't read anything in any of the news reports on this to suggest that this kid was some kind of publicity/attention seeking type....

That's not the point.

It seems others are motivated to do some bad things for that reason.

I.e. I know suicides from famous bridges are not reported anymore so that not more people do the same.

It's a crazy world out there... 

School Appeals for Compassion and Privacy for Siam Paragon Mall Shooter

If the school can show how the killer merits compassion, then maybe I will find some, however, his age and mental state alone do not earn this, only selfless actions do.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Emdog said:

Yes, the 14 yr old has mental problems... can you try to get some understanding of that? Not like when you were 14 and couldn't get a date, but serious mental problems.

Hopefully the kid can get some effective treatment, but Thailand is not known for its mental health programs

Oddly enough, both in the OP post and also in your post there is NOT a single word of sympathy or compassion for the MUREDERED and injured victims, their family or their loved ones. You know the ones that I am talking about. They are the INNOCENT victims whose lives were torn away and in the case of the injured, their lives are ruined for ever.

I don't give a rats anus about some sad 14 year old who deliberately set out and succeeded in MURDERING and injuring innocent victims at random.

Several years ago, while working at a Thai university, staff brought me a pistol a student had carried to campus. I took away the gun and contacted the administration, which told me I had to give him back his gun because it was his property.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Simultaneously, it appealed to the public for understanding, asking for compassion and respect for the privacy of the young perpetrator and his family.

What about compassion and respect for the privacy of the shooting victims?

Honestly, when you commit a heinous act such as murder, I think you give up any privacy that you may want. 

• Thumbs Up 2

25 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Several years ago, while working at a Thai university, staff brought me a pistol a student had carried to campus. I took away the gun and contacted the administration, which told me I had to give him back his gun because it was his property.

You should have call the police and arrange to give the gun back to the student in their presence.
Because the chances of that student having the legal right to carry a gun are about zero. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sherwood said:

It's not like an accidental shooting, it was premeditated murder and the useless piece of <deleted> should be exterminated.

I don't care how old the scumbag is. His punishment should fit the crime. 

He'll be back on the street at the age of majority - 20 years old.  And given that he's done it once?

3 hours ago, connda said:

What about compassion and respect for the privacy of the shooting victims?

Honestly, when you commit a heinous act such as murder, I think you give up any privacy that you may want. 

I suspect they are protecting their own privacy in case they did something wrong, like not notifying the cops if a student is acting disturbed and violent. once the school answers one question, eventually they will be asked questions that could make the administration looks bad. or maybe they are callous enough to prioritize respect for his privacy, no telling with this lot

On 10/4/2023 at 11:00 AM, bamnutsak said:

I'm not comfortable with how LEO handled this suspect after arrest.

Interviewing him without legal and parental representation is a definite no-go. Making videos and publishing them on-line is also a no-go (for me).

Having a known Gangster interview him on site was a definite no-go.

Releasing his medical/medication history is also a violation of his privacy, if we're to believe the excuses used for Thaksin's hospitalization.

I understand that Thailand is new to the mass shooting experience (acknowledging Korat and Uttahi Sawan), but how you treat the vulnerable says much about a society.

Expressing all those admirable western procedures, sentiments and characteristics says much about your lack of years here (despite the Thaksin jibe). This is the wild west east and yes, there is a total lack of care for the vulnerable but that's because it is Thailand and not (say) Poughkeepsie.

On 10/4/2023 at 10:06 AM, Emdog said:

If there is one thing i have learned in Thailand is that it dos not take much to get a doctor to sogn or say something on writing when asked. But ask yourself this. If the boy really had serious mental problems then why didn't the parents have better control over him in their custody? Finding all those guns in his house makes me think that perhaps either they did not care or ever look into or after thier mentally unstable kid or perhaps thier was never a mental instability there and parents had no concern when seeing bad behavior. 

On 10/4/2023 at 4:08 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

There are very good reasons why you do not reveal details about a public shooter at this stage of an investigation. 

So desperate for PR they appear to be ignoring the fact he is a minor with a history of mental health problems.

True or not, procedures are in place for good reason, but is that a thing here in Thailand?

This is a typical clown show with everyone trying to jump in front of a camera because they're new to their positions and need to be seen. Dumb asses will end up with copycats.

Edited by fondue zoo
  • Like 1

On 10/4/2023 at 2:50 PM, billd766 said:

Oddly enough, both in the OP post and also in your post there is NOT a single word of sympathy or compassion for the MUREDERED and injured victims, their family or their loved ones. You know the ones that I am talking about. They are the INNOCENT victims whose lives were torn away and in the case of the injured, their lives are ruined for ever.

I don't give a rats anus about some sad 14 year old who deliberately set out and succeeded in MURDERING and injuring innocent victims at random.

You want me to do the standard hypocritical "in our thoughts and prayers" BS? I don't have to preface discussing his mental condition without first genuflecting... of course it is horrible they lost their lives... no frickin' argument there. It goes (or should go) without saying.

I am talking about a seriously disturbed young person. Oh, and the word is "murdered" not "muredered"