House makes history, removes McCarthy as Speaker

Social Media

5 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

This shows one of the Democrats' biggest advantages over the GOP- discipline.  Too many big egos on the GOP side, too many idealists, too many posers.  

Can you see anyone seriously trying this on Nancy Pelosi? They wouldn't see the next sunrise.

Patrick too is seriously scared of monster Nancy like you.

McHenry orders Pelosi to vacate Capitol office in one of first acts as Speaker pro tem

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

Yet another embarrassment. 

Unfortunately it's far more than an embarrassment although it is obviously that as well.

It's actually another very worrying symptom of frightful decay.

Edited by BusyB
  • Thumbs Up 2

No tears for McCarthy ????

"I wasn't sure it was going to pass," he remarked. "You want to know why? Because the Democrats tried to do everything they can not to let it pass."

Brennan responded with laughter.

"Democrats were the ones who voted for this in a larger number than Republicans to keep the continuing resolution alive," she said.

"Did you watch the floor yesterday?" McCarthy asked.

"Yes," Brennan replied. "Ninety Republicans voted against it."

https://www.rawstory.com/kevin-mccarthy-shutdown/

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, BusyB said:

Unfortunately it's far more than an embarrassment although it is obviously that as well.

It's actually another very worrying symptom of frightful decay.

Matt Gaetz may have won his personal feud with Mccarthy and expose the rift in the caucus. It has decayed to such an extend that frightened anyone who has the ambition to be the speaker as I doubt anyone can unite the fracticous GOP without the assist from the Dems. In my wildest thoughts, Liz Cheney may possibly get the votes with the Dem and RINO representatives. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I'm genuinely surprised it took this long.

BTW, @HanagumaI gave you "Thank you's" on both posts you put here. I often disagree with what you have to say, but to quote @JCauto "Appreciate you engaging in reasonable debate, by the way."

Appreciate it, thanks!  I am not so blind (I hope) that I cannot see the good and bad both. I probably would disagree with Nan on 90% of political issues, but at the same time it would be great to have lunch with her and hear what she has to say. And also credit where credit is due.  If you are in the Democratic party and you cross her, she will cut your Jacobs off.  Look how she cowed "The Squad" with little more than a stern look.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JCauto said:

That's true. On the other hand, the Democrats are not so badly fragmented as the Republicans and whatever constitutes their "radical Left" is hardly at all radical, so much easier to compromise with. The other main difference which is far more important in my opinion is that the Democrats actually see government as having a critical role in regulating the economy and providing a social safety net for the citizenry, whereas the Republicans take a fundamentally "hands off" approach to government and are prone to want to burn it down when it comes to their radical flank. This makes getting those people in line almost impossible because they have no interest in cooperation or in the outcomes of sensible government.

Appreciate you engaging in reasonable debate, by the way.

Thanks, same to you. Sometimes people go a bit "down the rabbit hole" in political discussions, run to their corners, cover their ears, etc etc.  Nothing wrong with a bit of what my British friends call "p1ss taking" about certain political figures, they all deserve to be knocked down a peg or three IMHO.  But in the end it is all just keystrokes and not worth the elevated blood pressure.

Interesting take on the parties. I will digest it and give it a think. But at the core I think you may be right. Many GOP lawmakers go to Sodom on the Potomac with the goal of giving power back to the citizens, while the Democrats go with the idea of doing good for the public.  I always thought that getting the GOP members in line was like trying to herd cats.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Appreciate it, thanks!  I am not so blind (I hope) that I cannot see the good and bad both. I probably would disagree with Nan on 90% of political issues, but at the same time it would be great to have lunch with her and hear what she has to say. And also credit where credit is due.  If you are in the Democratic party and you cross her, she will cut your Jacobs off.  Look how she cowed "The Squad" withs little more than a stern look.

I am looking at, or rather, attempting to look at, how Nancy Pelosi "cowed" The Squad. Care to share with us some evidence for that? 

2 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I'm genuinely surprised it took this long.

BTW, @HanagumaI gave you "Thank you's" on both posts you put here. I often disagree with what you have to say, but to quote @JCauto "Appreciate you engaging in reasonable debate, by the way."

Actually, Hanaguma was damning Nancy Pelosi by apparently praising her. What in Pelosi's record confirms that

"And also credit where credit is due.  If you are in the Democratic party and you cross her, she will cut your Jacobs off..."?

42 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

What ideals would those GOP ‘idealists’ have? Making corporate America and the rich 1% even richer? Pollute America some more? Increase the defense budget some more? Making life for the poor in America even harder? Cut school budgets some more?
Remember MTG and Lauren Boebert screaming ‘liar, liar’ at president Biden during his state of the union, when he said that Republicans were planning to gut social security and medicare? Everybody was huffing and puffing, feeling all offended and vehemently denying that the GOP would ever do such a thing.
And guess what? Republicans are bringing back their plan to gut social security and medicare. That’s real idealistic. 

Well, they can be “ideals” … you and I would probably agree that they are not positive ideals but ideals by definition need not be positive. Don’t you agree?