Serious Charges Filed against Young Suspect in Shopping Mall Shooting

webfact

image.jpeg

BANGKOK, Oct 4 (TNA) – The police have filed five serious charges against a 14-year-old youth related to the shooting incident that occurred within the Siam Paragon shopping mall, resulting in two fatalities and five injuries.

The investigation also involves questioning the youth's parents about potential violations of child protection laws.

Pol Maj Gen Nakharin Sukonthavit, commander of the Metropolitan Police 6 said the preliminary investigation led to the police filing charges against the minor on five counts, including premeditated murder, attempted murder, possession of firearms without permission, carrying firearms in public areas without authorization, and discharging a firearm in a public place without permission.

Full story: TNA-MCOT 2023-10-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Multidisciplinary Team to Coordinate Questioning Suspect in Mall Shooting

image.jpeg

BANGKOK, Oct 4 (TNA) – The police have taken into custody a 14-year-old juvenile suspect involved in the shooting incident at Siam Paragon Shopping Center. A multidisciplinary team will coordinate the questioning.

Pol. Gen. Torsak Sukvimol, the National Police Chief revealed that preliminary investigations suggest that the perpetrator is currently unable to provide a statement. He has a history of psychiatric treatment at Ratchawithi Hospital and appears to have not adhered to the prescribed medications.

Currently, no details regarding the suspect’s family history or motivations for the act can be disclosed to prevent copycat crimes.

Full story: TNA-MCOT 2023-10-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 1

Juvenile court procedures in dealing with 14 year old Siam Paragon gunman
by  Nattapong Westwood 

image.jpeg

Photo: Central Investigation Bureau Facebook.

Juvenile Court spokesperson Sorawit Limprangsi today revealed the legal procedures in dealing with a 14 year old offender who used a 9mm gun to shoot people at the Siam Paragon shopping mall, resulting in injuries and fatalities.

Sorawit stated that upon arresting a juvenile, the Juvenile Court procedures will verify the lawfulness of the arrest. The investigative officer must bring the child or juvenile to the Juvenile Court within 24 hours for the court to inspect the arrest to ensure it adheres to the law and protects the juvenile’s rights.

Typically, in cases where a child or juvenile commits a crime, the law gives the investigative officer authority to detain the individual for no more than 24 hours.

Most often, an officer will bring the individual to the Juvenile Court to decide whether to detain them further and what subsequent steps should be followed. After inspecting the arrest, the court waits for the arrest report from the investigative officer who brought the juvenile to court.

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-10-04

3 minutes ago, ezzra said:

This bravado talks is only meant for public consumption so it is seen that the police doing their job, but it will not end  being anymore than a slap on the wrist and some re-education camp...

or psych time for a few years...until he's no longer a juvie....

Even though the mental health system's (I use that term loosely here) prior efforts to cope with this kid obviously failed miserably.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

Mall shooting suspect charged with premeditated murder

000_33XB2HV.jpg

Five criminal charges, including premeditated murder, have been filed against the 14-year-old male suspect in the shooting spree at the Siam Paragon shopping mall in Bangkok yesterday (Tuesday).

The other charges are attempted murder, possession of a firearm without a license, carrying firearms in public without permission and discharging a firearm in public.

The suspect, whose identity is being kept confidential, has been taken to the Central Juvenile and Family Court, to seek approval for further detention while the investigation continues.

Caption: Ambulances and police vehicles are seen outside Siam Paragon shopping centre in Bangkok on October 3, 2023. / AFP

Full story: Thai PBS 2023-10-04

As  bizzare as it may seem there are  jurisdictions where the severity of a criminal act negates that  expected norm of juvenile culpability .

Demonstrated  diminished physc control regardless of age in terms of community threat justifies detention and confinement until timely investigation and identification of contributing  factors are established.

By that I mean that if serious drug use was a factor then as a component of the  criminal act  the perp should be confined and  treated  for an extended period to confirm loss of addiction  and then an ensuing  period of  establishment of acceptable comprehension of social and  legal norms.

Enough of the new age humanitarian concept of " oh they did  not  mean it, it was the drugs that done it, they had a broken heart, the parents did not love them, beat them, Uncle/Aunt Doe  sexually interferred  , etc  etc , f....n etc.

Some of the contributing factors  may actually be true. But  the social community reality is  "kindly  remove them from  society ....but  find a  genuine way to  re-introduce them......which is not "do the crime...serve  your time".

If  they are eventually genuinely found to be incurable  Phys..paths ..... employ them as contained  Black Ops members !

7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Serious charges????  Just what does that really mean for a 14-year-old kid in Thailand?

Although the above articles totally fail to address this basic point, I think it's pretty certain that Thai law doesn't allow 14 year olds, even if convicted of murder, to be sentenced to prison.

What's the worst that could happen to this (allegedly) murdering kid? 

One of the above articles mentions he might be sent home to his parents pending trial. Or there's a reference that he might be sent to a psychiatric facility, but for how long???  Until he turns 18 and is no longer subject to juvenile jurisdiction?

Odds are, if I was a family member of one of the murdered victims here, I'm likely to come away from the end result of this whole process, whatever it ends up being, feeling an adequate price has not been paid.

I don't think they jail 14 year olds here - but they can be put in a juvenile detention center. That's where he's heading unless his parents are wealthy.

• Like 1

'Serious charges'...ya think⁉️ This murderer should be executed ASAP. Don't give a fig how young, how disturbed, how fragile. Don't need the likes of "it" or any like "it". Put this effed-up freak down NOW:coffee1:

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, webfact said:

He has a history of psychiatric treatment at Ratchawithi Hospital and appears to have not adhered to the prescribed medications.

I don't know Thai laws, but in my country all the charges are meaningless due to his age and the Psychiatric treatment.
The worst he can look at in my country would be a lock-up in a mental institute for the next 20 years, but at his age he can not being lock-up in a mental institute before that age of 18.
I understand that thailand wants make him pay for the damages he has done to the thai economy, but it doesn't work that way.

18 hours ago, pedro01 said:

I don't think they jail 14 year olds here - but they can be put in a juvenile detention center. That's where he's heading unless his parents are wealthy.

I doubt he will go to a detention centre if found guilty. Seeing as he suffers from psychiatric problems he would likely be detained in some sort of facility where he could be both treated and secured.

I wonder. Would Thailand accept a plea on the grounds of 'diminished responsibility?'

2 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

The photo of the gold-helmeted policeman crouching over the alleged shooter does not appear to be one of the three commissioned officers awarded 'hero' certificates. ????

And how on Earth do you determine that? You can't even see his face.

Screen Shot 2023-10-05 at 16.01.44.png