Modest drinker, no p4p, 60k month. Where can my friend afford live?

sidjameson

This video might be of interest to the OP's friend... 

It shows an example budget...

image.png.40b3e958eb885905c71bf88945779bb9.png

... and breaks it down so you can adjust it to your particular needs (e.g. We have friends & family visit a few times of the year so I go for 2br 2bth Condos near the Beach so obviously my Rent & Electric is a lot higher)

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, newnative said:

And, once again, how's his life going to be any better on $1,666 a month (60,000 baht) in, say, the US?

Well sadly if that is all the income the individual has, then he is really in for a long road.  I wish the fella the best. 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Well sadly if that is all the income the individual has, then he is really in for a long road.  I wish the fella the best.

That's the reality for many I'm afraid. My Visa Agent told me that the majority of her clients are Brits receiving Government pension only. The increased (new) pension effective from 2016 is, today, a shade under 40,000 baht per calendar month. Don't even want to think about what will happen to these guys in the case of serious illness or accidents.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/6/2023 at 9:31 AM, pomchop said:

Not being a part of P4P will save you a LOT of $$ and contrary to what a lot seem to think not every guy necessarily wants or needs that for a variety of reasons.

The p4p stuff is risky in other areas as well. everyone talks about bar fines and such, but there are other risks underneath the surface far more serious.

people stealing stuff from rooms (laptops, passports, rings, etc). people putting stuff in your coffee to knock you out, witnesses and cameras at the condo or hotel monitoring who you are with, moto taxi guys as witnesses informing on you, catching someone stealing something and you hit them when they fight back and they hit their head on something...and a record there to backup false accusations and possible police problems later on. the list goes on and on, the more you do it your chances increase of a serious problem. it's not possible to eliminate all risk by being careful.

any serious problem and your packing home and your financial plans get blown to the wind.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JAFO said:

The person becomes trapped and life is about posting on internet forums to pass a day... 

As an old person (67),

Just cycled 25Km with a pal this morning, I've not much energy left for the rest of the day except sitting on the sofa, posting, listening, watching TV/music/books.

Yesterday, was out to dinner at 7pm (Indian) and drinks in bars, rest of the day sofa.

Remember my dad in his 60s with heart problems, mostly sitting all day, every day, he couldn't even mow the lawn.

Passing the day is what elderly retired people do IMHO, not much energy for anything else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

As an old person (67),

Just cycled 25Km with a pal this morning, I've not much energy left for the rest of the day except sitting on the sofa, posting, listening, watching TV/music/books.

Yesterday, was out to dinner at 7pm (Indian) and drinks in bars, rest of the day sofa.

Remember my dad in his 60s with heart problems, mostly sitting all day, every day, he couldn't even mow the lawn.

Passing the day is what elderly retired people do IMHO, not much energy for anything else.

And I think age defines the needs and wants and for many what makes it a "comfortable" life here.  I am not a sofa guy and sitting in a house all day is not anything that interests me. My life doesn't revolve around an eating schedule nor posting on forums (last few days have been pretty heavy rains so not a lot going on) and watching TV.  I am very active/busy type and like to be off outside or traveling around and that typically always requires cash. So I fully see where 60K baht to some is "Comfy" but for me, I'd lose my mind. 

So again, its back to the OP's buddy and what is his life like, and what are his expectations. One persons idea of comfortable is likely to be a prison life to others.  

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, newnative said:

My point is it will likely be a much easier road in Thailand than in the US--mainly because decent housing, usually the biggest monthly expense, is so much cheaper here.  That huge savings simply leaves much more of the monthly budget available for other living expenses.  In the example I used, it left $41 to spend a day here vs $5 and some change in the US.  (Or, 1,476 baht vs. around 203 baht.)   As a number of posts have pointed out on this thread, one can live a fairly comfortable life on 60,000 baht  in Thailand.  

Exactly. Many people don't get it. I can only speak for the Usa, but once you hit 50 your chances of getting hired in the Usa at a new job are very slim.

So you have a certain income or savings. You don't to be a rocket scientist to understand that living in a cheaper location is the way to go. Even if you had a major medical priblem you would likely still be better off in Thailand (the cost of living in the Usa would likely eat up any benefit you got from medicare unless the illness was timed just right).

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

What a vivid and paranoid imagination you have. Have you experienced any on that list?

You probably just don't realize that things can go sour. Lack of worldy experience or naive.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

You probably just don't realize that things can go sour. Lack of worldy experience or naive.

I've been to England, Scotland, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Switzerland, Israel, Malta, Tunisia, Egypt, Jordan, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, China, Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Canada, USA ..... How about you?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JAFO said:

And I think age defines the needs and wants and for many what makes it a "comfortable" life here.  I am not a sofa guy and sitting in a house all day is not anything that interests me. My life doesn't revolve around an eating schedule nor posting on forums (last few days have been pretty heavy rains so not a lot going on) and watching TV.  I am very active/busy type and like to be off outside or traveling around and that typically always requires cash. So I fully see where 60K baht to some is "Comfy" but for me, I'd lose my mind. 

So again, its back to the OP's buddy and what is his life like, and what are his expectations. One persons idea of comfortable is likely to be a prison life to others.  

How old are you and what does your daily activities look like then?

You've weighed in heavily with emotive posts that my friend would be on a long road to purgatory. It would be good to know how relevant your views are.

20 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've been to England, Scotland, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Switzerland, Israel, Malta, Tunisia, Egypt, Jordan, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, China, Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Canada, USA ..... How about you?

But not Australia ????????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Depends when during start of covid, as every place (tourist area) was a ghost town, for quite some time.

I cant remember exactly but it was definitely before then, no one was wearing masks as the outbreak was just news emanating from China which i had been following intently at the time. when i needed to return to the UK i was shocked that very few people at the airport were actually wearing masks. Bearing in mind what China had been doing to contain it and the amount of Chinese tourists that enter Thailand. In fact it was probably only the Chinese tourists that were wearing them.

Anyway there was simply no children there. Also you could see that around 35/40% of the units where empty which at the time made me think at the time it was expanding at too great a pace.

13 hours ago, Dene16 said:

I will be coming in high season and  somewhat excited to take my son to a new themed water park there Colombia Aquaverse which seems geared to a very young age group. i was even thinking of bringing one of his friends so he would not feel out of place. At about 1300 baht entry i don't expect to see many of the local populace. but i think it will give a good indication of the holidaying demographics.

If anyone on here has been there, your experience of it would be appreciated 

You assume that the ‘local populace’ are paying the same price as a short term tourist. 
I don’t know why you think that it will ‘give an idea of the holidaying demographics’. Not everyone can swim and not everyone has children. 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, JAFO said:

I think you should wish it for yourself. You are projecting. 
Many want for nothing with the aforementioned budget. You are one of the few who get nervous even thinking about it. That’s your problem. You’re going to struggle…

7 hours ago, JAFO said:

good one and I laugh as well, but lets be realistic.  That said though, in the end it will all depend on what this guy plans on doing, how active he is etc.  I remember my early days here.  Thought "Hell.  I pay 8500 bht a month for a really nice condo, I can walk to anything I want so I do not need a car, Cell phone pay as you go.  Great for about a year.  Then.....rose colored glasses off, reality sets in and I required more and a better social life etc.  That's when life can become very strange because it is not a choice anymore. The person becomes trapped and life is about posting on internet forums to pass a day... ????

Hopefully meditation in Thailand will help you with your overactive mind. You have some way to go. Learn to enjoy the moments rather than hoping for a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. 

8 hours ago, JAFO said:

good one and I laugh as well, but lets be realistic.  That said though, in the end it will all depend on what this guy plans on doing, how active he is etc.  I remember my early days here.  Thought "Hell.  I pay 8500 bht a month for a really nice condo, I can walk to anything I want so I do not need a car, Cell phone pay as you go.  Great for about a year.  Then.....rose colored glasses off, reality sets in and I required more and a better social life etc.  That's when life can become very strange because it is not a choice anymore. The person becomes trapped and life is about posting on internet forums to pass a day... ????

In other words… you were that idiot and you are writing about yourself. A loser. Now you are infecting the thread with your negativity. 
How much money one has at his/her disposal has absolutely nothing to do with posting on social media. All you are doing is describing your own experiences and creating your own scenarios.
Personally, I could be out doing anything I want. But sometimes I stay in to avoid the heat or to have a bit of mental sparring without having to actually meet the awful characters in person. 
Experiences that I would not have in person. You can learn something about yourself and others in so doing. 
There is no doubt that someone prudent can survive quite nicely on 60k monthly. In your case, it seems that you aren’t comfortable with yourself. I don’t need to spend money on much, as I don’t need much. Whereas you might be ‘high maintenance’. As an aside, I know people working here on a salary of 60k per month and they seem to be thriving. 
Not everyone spends their time drinking alcohol and paying for company. For those that do, budget for it. 

Edited by NextG
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

This video might be of interest to the OP's friend... 

It shows an example budget...

image.png.40b3e958eb885905c71bf88945779bb9.png

... and breaks it down so you can adjust it to your particular needs (e.g. We have friends & family visit a few times of the year so I go for 2br 2bth Condos near the Beach so obviously my Rent & Electric is a lot higher)

All the Doubting Thomas’s and quarrelsome posters should review the video. The facts are clear for all to see. You can live on a lot less than 60K to enjoy a good life here.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, NextG said:

You assume that the ‘local populace’ are paying the same price as a short term tourist. 
I don’t know why you think that it will ‘give an idea of the holidaying demographics’. Not everyone can swim and not everyone has children. 

There is an assumption that the local populace are paying the same price as i can find no mention of Thai prices on its web site or any where else, Maybe you assume that everything has to have a Thai price.

As to your second question  i am thinking the same as every other normal person on this planet, except you obviously.

You do not need to swim to go down a water slide into waist high water and traveling in a rubber dinghy's in 2 foot of water. 

Your statement suggests that absolutely nothing is able to give an idea of anything as there will always be an exception to the rule however small.

You are obviously trying to create conflict for some strange and unknown reason where none exists

As i have said before you need to 'get a life and move on'

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Ohhh  I am quite comfortable with myself. I have to say though you come across like a grumpy old geriatric type living in either Pattaya or Hua Hin. Extremely defensive and judgmental. Its funny in that all I asked was define comfortable to give the OP's friend and idea and you went off the rails.  If I had to guess, you aren't really happy with your plot in life.  

Neither geriatric nor in Pattaya. It’s you who is being judgmental about someone with a 60k budget. 
It’s you who is writing long and rambling posts about nothing, other than what is in your imagination. The same crashingly dull statements time and time again…

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, Dene16 said:

There is an assumption that the local populace are paying the same price as i can find no mention of Thai prices on its web site or any where else, Maybe you assume that everything has to have a Thai price.

As to your second question  i am thinking the same as every other normal person on this planet, except you obviously.

You do not need to swim to go down a water slide into waist high water and traveling in a rubber dinghy's in 2 foot of water. 

Your statement suggests that absolutely nothing is able to give an idea of anything as there will always be an exception to the rule however small.

You are obviously trying to create conflict for some strange and unknown reason where none exists

As i have said before you need to 'get a life and move on'

If you were of pleasant and deserving character, I could easily have assisted you with all of your queries. 
You believe that because you cannot find something, that it does not exist. In a way you are correct. It does not exist for you, but that does not mean that it does not exist. 
https://we-offers.com/product/columbia-pictures-aquaverse/

Websites in the local language will have discounted tickets. 
My opinion of you hasn’t changed…

• Sad 2