TAT considers actions needed to restore tourist confidence in Thailand

snoop1130

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is working on a plan to restore foreign tourist confidence in Thailand, after assessing the impacts of the Siam Paragon shopping mall shooting on the Thai tourism sector.

Another cunning plan.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, blazes said:

Abandon most of your regulations.   Period.

It makes them feel important, having power over people. The whole of Thai society is based on that. Everyone has to bow down to someone higher up the social ladder. And if you wear a uniform then that gives you an automatic right to bully those you are meant to serve, in retaliation of themselves having to bow down to their superiors.

• Like 2

Every week they come up with some brainwashed idea to attract tourism trouble is most of the times they don’t get off the ground I doubt that the dreadful killings  that took place in Bangkok will have any impact on tourists cancelling there holidays the issues are flights being to expensive , charging tourists to go to national parks when Thais go in free, rip off tuk tuk prices the list is never ending 

3 hours ago, Gknrd said:

Must be nice to not have to put 800K in a Thai bank and not worry about future taxes..before they changed the rules for westerners I used to do the same. But, even then if you travel and get caught out of your zone then the 90 day and TM are an absolute nightmare. For someone like you that never goes anywhere and never travels then it must be heaven.  I get this mental picture of you sitting on your porch in your rocker thinking you are the luckiest guy alive...

Travel all over Thailand racing and for fun the last 3 years and no issue.   It would be hard to find an area in Thailand other than the deep south threat I haven't spent time in.   Like I said my situation is probably unique. For me the visa, 90 day, and TM reporting is a breeze.  I feel your pain but just isn't mine. 

• Like 1

There is never any meaningful shift in real policy to make significant change to both encourage expats or their investments, home ownership or indeed quality tourism. Minor temporary tweaks in existing long in the tooth policies at best with little effect. There is no desire for real positive beneficial change towards foreign markets. 

China started COVID back in 2019.

Thailand locked down for 2-3 years because of COVID transmission.

Many thousands of Thai businesses and companies closed due to COVID.

Many millions of jobs were lost due to COVID.

Many thousand of Thai lives were destroyed because of COVID.

2023 Thailand opens to warm China ...  free VISAS for all Chinese nationals.

Oh the Irony of these knuckleheads.    They are clueless in that China destroyed many Thais incomes. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Sigmund said:

What confidence ? With corruption all over, cheating taxi drivers, immigration red tape and harassment for retirees, bank hassles just to open a account and all the absurd residence certificate or translations they ask, all the TM20-30-50-90 xxx forms to fill...what confidence left for investors and wealthy retirees to come  ? These people tell back home how the situation is and is deterrs their tourist families and friends from comming.

Well said! I have just gone through the annual "nightmare" of annual visa extension, and when the Chief of Immigration said last year he was going to make it easier for expats to extend their visas HE WAS TELLING PORKIES!!! Every year, the rules change to make it just that little bit more awkward or difficult - extensions by reason of marriage to a Thai national being a prime example. Last year 2 Immigration Officers visited my house to have photographs taken of themselves with my wife and I. This year there were 3 of them, and we had to get someone else to be included in the photos - someone Thai to presumably confirm that they knew us and that we were who we said we were!!! And my friend who has a visa by way of Retirement says that he has been told that the next time he applies for an extension, he will have to have photos taken of himself inside and outside of the house. 

So how is that is "making things easier" - they haven't stopped any ridiculous requirements - just added to them.

And to further complicate things, the "Rules and Regulations" differ from office to office, and in my case even from Officer to Officer - I was given a "new" form to fill in and sign by an IO, (Acknowledgement of fines and "punishments" for overstay)  which was thrown in the bin by the next IO that I saw (because she didn't personally give me the form!) and when we saw the interviewing IO, I was given the same form to fill in and sign again!!!

Making things easier? I think not!!!

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yet with all the nonsense that some see the hordes are returning.  They will be above 2015 numbers by end of the year and then off to the races. 

Miss the early 2000's when tourism was not out of control here.  How many tourists can fit in this country is my question because I think we are soon to find an answer in the next 5 years.  IMO, tourism is just going to become the unavoidable nuisance that it has been since shortly after the 2008 financial crisis.

image.png.0ab33b380677f0dd2bb73028ab12b4e3.png

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mavideol said:

555 good luck with that, u have been damaging it for quite some time and it will take much longer to restore, tourists are going somewhere where they are welcomed, at the rate your country is moving into the wrong direction soon it will not only tourists that u will miss but if the "tax scam" will be implemented many expats on retirement will be looking for better and safer pastures as well

I seem to remember seeing that tired much used promise many times Post COVID along with an announcement following a poll that said THAI PEOPLE DIDN'T WANT FOREIGN VISITORs.....

Tourists will still come to Thailand 

The guys after cheap sex will come to Pattaya as its known world wide bars and girls ????

The family tourist for the scenery beaches and Temples and good food  

There is something for everybody plus its still cheap ????

16 hours ago, Mavideol said:

555 good luck with that, u have been damaging it for quite some time and it will take much longer to restore, tourists are going somewhere where they are welcomed, at the rate your country is moving into the wrong direction soon it will not only tourists that u will miss but if the "tax scam" will be implemented many expats on retirement will be looking for better and safer pastures as well

Don't kid yourself, the world is in a bad place right now, economies are spiraling downwards and governments are looking for any cow that can be milked. Everything is a trade off, find a super cheap impoverished country with a good exchange rate for your money and you pay for it with a lack of personal safety, poor health service, rip offs and poor housing, nothing is for free. Thailand is a good compromise country and from what I read about my own country, the UK, I'm far better off here than there, for me it would be a nightmare to return. Yes, Cambodia sounds good but has sub-standard medical facilities (I met a normal working girl from Cambodia at my dentist in Surin lately whose family put themselves into debt to get her good dental treatment here) and crime is a problem with worse traffic safety than Thailand, the grass only looks greener.

• Confused 2

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

000_33XF69J.jpg

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is working on a plan to restore foreign tourist confidence in Thailand, after assessing the impacts of the Siam Paragon shopping mall shooting on the Thai tourism sector.

TAT Governor Thapanee Kiatphaibool said today (Wednesday) that it may take about a week to get a clearer picture of how many foreign tourists cancel or postpone their planned visits to Thailand following the shooting.

The first action to be taken, in coordination with relevant state agencies, is to improve safety at all tourist destinations, including shopping malls and restaurants, so visitors can feel safe, she said, adding that they will also mount a publicity campaign to boost the image of the country as a safe place for visitors on short, mid and long-term bases.

Thapanee said that relevant agencies must make sure that the injured are properly taken care of, both physically and mentally and expressed condolences, on behalf of the TAT and staff, to the families of the dead and injured.

Source: Thai PBS 2023-10-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Prepare to release…………THE FIGURES!!!!!!!

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thapanee said that relevant agencies must make sure that the injured are properly taken care of, both physically and mentally and expressed condolences, on behalf of the TAT and staff, to the families of the dead and injured.

Give the victims a fruit basked, offered by TAT and wait a few days until everything is back to normal again.
With lots of pictures everywhere of the hand-out of the baskets.
You know, the usual stuff.

18 hours ago, Mavideol said:

should we understand there would be NO more scams, no more double/triple overcharging on state parks and similar facilities/amenities..... TAT, u can only reap what u have been sowing

double/triple overcharging on state parks

A lot more than triple. Foreigners pay 10 times the amount Thais pay .