How would you react if your meal was served this way ?

Social Media

They have this on soi 3 in Nimman, Chiang Mai. 250 baht for unlimited bucket pouring at lunch. They charge you 200 baht for excessive leftovers to make sure you eat all of the squid. Haven't done it.

At that price, it's too good to be true, like an unlimited Shabu restaurant always is.

2 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

many Indian Thali restaurants where the food is dished out onto a banana leaf along with a mound of rice..

As long as the table is clean, what's the problem?

This great ol' tradition of thwacking your banana leaf with curry goo from a bucket may be gone.  

'Looked for it in vain in Singapore this year, even at fabled The Banana Leaf Apollo -who provided plates and not a banana leaf, and then brought all the little bites together from a steam table at the same time.

Same in Kuala Lumpur.  Possibly a victim of Covid?

• Sad 1

It's easy to take things out of content, if I said 50 people in the restaurant touched the spoon before me, it sounds gross, but at the Sizzler salad bar that's exactly what's happening.

24 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

This great ol' tradition of thwacking your banana leaf with curry goo from a bucket may be gone.  

'Looked for it in vain in Singapore this year, even at fabled The Banana Leaf Apollo -who provided plates and not a banana leaf, and then brought all the little bites together from a steam table at the same time.

Same in Kuala Lumpur.  Possibly a victim of Covid?

Shame on them. There's too many over the top hygiene rules around nowadays. I last enjoyed this wonderful dining experience in Kerala. The real authentic stuff.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, bbko said:

It's easy to take things out of content, if I said 50 people in the restaurant touched the spoon before me, it sounds gross, but at the Sizzler salad bar that's exactly what's happening.

Share your food, share your bugs, share your immunities.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Eat it of course. I've been in many Indian Thali restaurants where the food is dished out onto a banana leaf along with a mound of rice..

As long as the table is clean, what's the problem?

Especially in Southern India, I love it! 

• Thanks 1

Plenty of restaurants that serve a 'seafood boil' out on the table... 

... its a bit of fun.

There is (was?) one at the night train-market behind Seacon Sq. in Bangkok, and there are some around town (BKK), called Holy Shrimp...

I'm not sure what the point of the thread is... asking how you would react - quite odd.

How would I react ?: Answer, by eating !!! 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2023 at 8:45 AM, JayClay said:

I went to a restaurant where they served the food in this manner. In far less ridiculous quantities, thankfully.

Many restaurants all over the world offer various novelties.

Went once with a client in Shanghai to a 5 star restaurant, all the young waitresses dressed in tiny bikini bottoms and pasties, young male waiters dressed in only tiny speedo type swim bikinis. Great food.

Restaurant had a strict rule, guests forbidden to touch the servers anywhere at any time. Secretary to the client who sponsored the meal quietly gave myself and the 2 other guests a card for the restuarant inviting calls for any further details, written in Chinese characters and in English.

I've heard of similar venues in Japan and in Manila.

2 hours ago, novacova said:

During survival training we were trained to eat anything with protein, bugs and all. I’d eat anything on that table, no problem. Heck I’d eat it off the floor if I was hungry enough.

Royal Marines?????

20231007_135151.jpg