Patong tuk-tuk drivers charged after assault on tourist

webfact

20 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

These 3 are probably working today after a stern telling off thats why they didn't reveal there faces. We never hear what punishments were given out as a deterant.

Three Patong tuk-tuk drivers have been charged after assaulting a foreign tourist in a dispute over the fare.

21 hours ago, retarius said:

Not much good happens after midnight.

According to Anusorn, he picked up his passenger, a tourist from Saudi Arabia, at the corner of Soi Sansabai and Rath-U-Thit 200 Pi Road at around 6.15am

I suppose you could argue that 11am is after midnight too. So when is safe?

5 hours ago, Brick Top said:

They were beating up tourists when I first came here to Patong in 2001 , nothing has changed in 22 years , always 3 or 4 of them onto 1 tourist.

I can understand the tourist refusing to pay the extra as it was probably the Tuk Tuk driver who got the hotel wrong in the first place.

Also if they started the journey at the top of Soi Sansibi then it would have made no difference to the distance traveled has they would have had to go all the way along Rat-U-Thit road and then all the way along beach road anyway to get back to the beginning of Rat-U-Thit road to find the correct hotel in any case.

None of what you write matters. Three thugs beat up a tourist in an argument over 100 baht. End of.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Xonax said:

If you have been out partying and got more than a few drinks, what other choice do you have, than to use a Tuk-tuk? This exact problem with Tuk-tuk and Taxi mafias have existed for decades and is fully accepted by the governor of Phuket. Just do like millions of others - Stay away from this dump.

I went to Phuket once.....I said Phuk-et I'm never coming here again. 

5 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

What will the sentance be as this Tarnishes Phukets reputation ? maybe the local press can start asking questions maybe why are there faces blurred out for starters, are they being protected from view.

Tarnishes Phuket's reputation ? I thought it CONFIRMS Phuket's reputation!

Phuket/Patong Tuk Tuk drivers; Parking everywhere and stopping traffic flows, double parking, aggressively cutting up traffic, emergency breaking in flowing traffic, erratic driving, blasting deafening loud music in residential zones, overcharging, fighting. Did I miss anything?   

Certainly not defending the tuk tuk a holes but geez get the crap beat out of you over 100 baht fare difference at 6 in the morning? 

Some of course will say "it's the principle"  not to agree to more of a fare...but from the story it appears they did take him where he wanted to go for the agreed 200 baht fare....and then he is at wrong place and wants to go to a different location....did he not negotiate the second leg of the trip or did he think these nice tuk tuk guys would just drive him there for free?  If he did not and then they wanted 400 and he offered 300 that means he got beat up over 100 baht?  Not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Getting into violent arguments with tuk tuk drivers is very very rarely going to end well yet people continue to do it day after day.  Especially in phuket that has likely the worst tuk tuk mafia in all Thailand.

Edited by pomchop

32 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

Phuket/Patong Tuk Tuk drivers; Parking everywhere and stopping traffic flows, double parking, aggressively cutting up traffic, emergency breaking in flowing traffic, erratic driving, blasting deafening loud music in residential zones, overcharging, fighting. Did I miss anything?   

They take over all the parking spaces, recently I wanted to go to a certain restaurant in Karon, we just could not park anywhere, I would say the local business's also lose out, 

5 hours ago, neeray said:

4 to 6 is more common.

My standard claim after getting my arse kicked.    Send a big white guy with an attitude into  an Oakland, Ca  and if things go bad, 4-6 Thais would seem like a plush beat down.   I've found that the locals by default are the ones ganging up on people regardless of destination.

1 hour ago, IamNoone88 said:

Yes weapons under the Dash, stowed just in case and a CB radio to call the boy's in if there are 2 tourists in the Tukkie.

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Three Patong tuk-tuk drivers have been charged after assaulting a foreign tourist in a dispute over the fare.

May have been charged Barry but thats it we never get to find out what punisment's are given out, and they will be waiting for a sucker oops Tourist on beach rd an hour later.

1 hour ago, IamNoone88 said:

False advertising? They're not real tuk-tuks now are they, just a miniature songthaew.

Mitsubishi Colt if I recall correctly from my one and only visit there in 2007.

Bangkok tuk-tuk drivers should die them for defamation ????

5 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Srettha is looking to ' normalize ' ties with Saudi Arabia , he wants their tourist's money ...

He should charge the 3 tuk tuk drivers with " tarnishing the reputation " of Thailand .

Life in prison ...?

When I worked in Saudi (2005) one of my Saudi colleagues got into trouble there when a Thai immigration stamp was found in his passport (by Saudi Immigration). He said that they were only supposed to visit Thailand if they had a business visa, they weren't supposed to visit Thailand as tourists (at that time). He got off with a slap on the wrist due to the fact that he had 'friends in high places'.

Edited by Andrew65
  • Like 1

I've been here for 20yrs (Phuket) and don't know anybody who uses Tuk Tuks on a regular basis. Hence its only the new arrivals who keep getting ripped off. Its time for the airline magazines to print permanent articles on the do,s & don'ts of the destinations they are traveling to, Phuket being the first. 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 12:06 PM, retarius said:

Not much good happens after midnight. Only really really stupid foreigners use a tuk-tuk, the worst mode of transport ever invented, driven by some of the lowest examples of humanity, imho. 

It might be your opinion but it is certainly not mine. For three years now here in Cambodia, I use a regular friendly tuk-tuk driver who speaks and understands English. He is a family man with a young daughter and a pleasant wife who runs a laundry (which I use) and a general store. They are great examples of humanity and always willing to help me when I go shopping or sightseeing.

Tuk-tuks are a major form of transport, especially here in Siem Reap. Forget baht buses and taxis, there are'nt any.

IMHO the abnoxious lady boys and prostitutes that roam the streets and frequent the bars in Pattaya, Phuket etc.etc. are the lowest examples of humanity!

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

14 hours ago, Brick Top said:

They were beating up tourists when I first came here to Patong in 2001 , nothing has changed in 22 years , always 3 or 4 of them onto 1 tourist.

I can understand the tourist refusing to pay the extra as it was probably the Tuk Tuk driver who got the hotel wrong in the first place.

Also if they started the journey at the top of Soi Sansibi then it would have made no difference to the distance traveled has they would have had to go all the way along Rat-U-Thit road and then all the way along beach road anyway to get back to the beginning of Rat-U-Thit road to find the correct hotel in any case.

you are using logic to settle a problem in Thailand?! that pointless exercise assumes thai drivers understand logic!

On 10/9/2023 at 1:22 PM, BarraMarra said:

These 3 are probably working today after a stern telling off thats why they didn't reveal there faces. We never hear what punishments were given out as a deterant.

A Wai and a few-hundred baht fine, probably. In other countries they'd lose their license. But in Thailand they are told to be more discreet with their scams...

Edited by StayinThailand2much

9 hours ago, Frankie baby said:

I've been here for 20yrs (Phuket) and don't know anybody who uses Tuk Tuks on a regular basis. Hence its only the new arrivals who keep getting ripped off. Its time for the airline magazines to print permanent articles on the do,s & don'ts of the destinations they are traveling to, Phuket being the first. 

In all fairness frankie how are you going to get back to your hotel in Patong when you've had a few beers. I woudnt fancy walking over a mile to get back specially in a resort where your seen as a target for a thief or a mugger.

6 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

It might be your opinion but it is certainly not mine. For three years now here in Cambodia, I use a regular friendly tuk-tuk driver who speaks and understands English. He is a family man with a young daughter and a pleasant wife who runs a laundry (which I use) and a general store. They are great examples of humanity and always willing to help me when I go shopping or sightseeing.

Tuk-tuks are a major form of transport, especially here in Siem Reap. Forget baht buses and taxis, there are'nt any.

IMHO the abnoxious lady boys and prostitutes that roam the streets and frequent the bars in Pattaya, Phuket etc.etc. are the lowest examples of humanity!

I'LLsecond that Bill i was on holiday in Phnom Penh 2 years ago my hotel was about 2 miles from the city centre bar area Tuk tuk picked me very friendly told me when you go home i come get you . He must have remembered me and when i was ready he saw me and got me in his Tuk Tuk after that i took his number and used him all the time never ripped me off even made sure i got into my hotel.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 12:00 PM, webfact said:

Anusorn was the first one picked up and taken to Patong Police Station, where he then provided officers with the identities of the other two drivers.

Everyone had to know this was coming.