TAT confident of 4 million Chinese arrivals by end of year

webfact

TAT ohhhh TAT stop the bs as your estimates/high hopes are completely off ....

Chinese tourist arrivals plunged nearly 30% week over week

https://thainewsroom.com/2023/10/10/chinese-tourist-arrivals-plunged-nearly-30-week-over-week/

Chinese tourist arrivals plunged nearly 30% week over week

Edited by Mavideol
  • Like 1

Isn't this from Thai BS organisations that claims 3.8 million 'tourists' have arrived from Malaysia in 2023, and they all spent 50K Baht during their visit, generated 200 Billion Baht in 'economic benefits'?

Even the tallest village idiot should know that the vast majority of 'visitors' from Malaysia come over the southern border (walk) - for work, family and other social reasons. 

Maybe I am wrong, but I have not seen any large numbers of Malaysians about in Bangkok, Chonburi, Pattaya or Rayong - and someone said on their vlog recently  'They aint here in Phuket'.  Are they all going to Hua Hin maybe? Chiang Mai? Isaan? 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, kinyara said:

TAT's original target for Chinese arrivals for 2023 was 5 million, so 4 million would represent a 20% shortfall from their expectations at the start of the year.

Chinese, always leaves you hungry for more. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Isn't this from Thai BS organisations that claims 3.8 million 'tourists' have arrived from Malaysia in 2023, and they all spent 50K Baht during their visit, generated 200 Billion Baht in 'economic benefits'?

Even the tallest village idiot should know that the vast majority of 'visitors' from Malaysia come over the southern border (walk) - for work, family and other social reasons. 

Maybe I am wrong, but I have not seen any large numbers of Malaysians about in Bangkok, Chonburi, Pattaya or Rayong - and someone said on their vlog recently  'They aint here in Phuket'.  Are they all going to Hua Hin maybe? Chiang Mai? Isaan? 

You're 7 foot 5 tall and wrong. ????

Edited by kinyara
correction
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Most Malaysians come for day-trips, not travelling further north than Hat Yai. Why Thais love tourists who only come for a few days (Chinese, Malaysians), heaven knows; probably because they like to see tourists leave again quickly...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Haha 1

There has been a huge influx of Chinese tourists these past few weeks unfortunately. 

The big busses are back. The bus trying to go down a narrow Soi is back. 

The leader holding up a flag followed by 20-30 Chinese are back. 

Packing out the BTS is back. 

Throwing litter and spitting is back. 

Not buying anything but crowding is back. 

Walking around and just hearing Mandarin is back.

Unfortunately there also seems to be a rather unpleasant aggressive type of Chinese tourist, who may well be drawn by no visa fees. 

If you live nearby a touristy area, unfortunately you are going to start feeling like you are in China. 

I just wonder what is the maximum number TAT would be happy with Chinese tourists before it gets too much for the local population and infrustructure? 

Edited by DonniePeverley
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is optimistic that its target of 4 million Chinese arrivals by yearend will be achieved, despite the recent shootings at the Siam Paragon shopping mall in Bangkok and the Israel-Hamas war.

Putting a spin on a decreasing market from China.

On 10/11/2023 at 10:53 PM, DonniePeverley said:

There has been a huge influx of Chinese tourists these past few weeks unfortunately. 

The big busses are back. The bus trying to go down a narrow Soi is back. 

The leader holding up a flag followed by 20-30 Chinese are back. 

Packing out the BTS is back. 

Throwing litter and spitting is back. 

Not buying anything but crowding is back. 

Walking around and just hearing Mandarin is back.

Unfortunately there also seems to be a rather unpleasant aggressive type of Chinese tourist, who may well be drawn by no visa fees. 

If you live nearby a touristy area, unfortunately you are going to start feeling like you are in China. 

I just wonder what is the maximum number TAT would be happy with Chinese tourists before it gets too much for the local population and infrustructure? 

10 Billion - then TAT would get paid HUGE bonuses for bringing exconomic properity and happiness to the Thai people.  I am sure that in a country run by people that have no care about repairing the roads and footpaths (and everything else), that the people running the place dont give a rat's rear about how badly Chinese behave - as long as they spend money.

• Thumbs Up 1

I must admit to being intrigued by this endless forecasting about 4 million or not. Suppose it ends up at 3.95 million? Is that a disaster for Thailand. Will the country enter a deep depression? Or will it continue on as it has been doing? Suppose it is 4.05 million, will the sky open and millions of money filled envelopes float down and bring joy back to the people? Somehow I don't think so. The fact is 4 million, less than 4 million or more than 4 million makes little difference to anyone other than the owners of hotels and travel businesses who get a little more or little less profit.....I'm making a possibly totally untrue assumption in here that if 4.05 million Chinese arrive the hotel and business owners won't award their employees a 50% pay rise in which case the difference in numbers may affect a lot of people.? I could be wrong of course.

Edited by retarius

1 hour ago, retarius said:

I must admit to being intrigued by this endless forecasting about 4 million or not. Suppose it ends up at 3.95 million? Is that a disaster for Thailand. Will the country enter a deep depression? Or will it continue on as it has been doing? Suppose it is 4.05 million, will the sky open and millions of money filled envelopes float down and bring joy back to the people? Somehow I don't think so. The fact is 4 million, less than 4 million or more than 4 million makes little difference to anyone other than the owners of hotels and travel businesses who get a little more or little less profit.....I'm making a possibly totally untrue assumption in here that if 4.05 million Chinese arrive the hotel and business owners won't award their employees a 50% pay rise in which case the difference in numbers may affect a lot of people.? I could be wrong of course.

Excellent point/questions.  The answere IMO is ' They dont have a clue'.   A few weeks ago a report was released that showed clearly that although there had been a big growth in tourism in late 2022 and early 2023, there had been no measurable positive impact on the local economy at the grassroots level. That of course was quickly forgotten, and they made even more efforts to increase tourism - including Visa exempt entry for the Chinese. This was done while they constantly looked the other way regarding the constant news about the amount of crimes being committed by 'Chinese' people. 

To understand what the answers are to your questions, means knowing how the rich got richer during Covid, while the vast majority of us got poorer.  The uber rich are very good at 'making money' during difficult times - they and the media thrive during those periods - they love a 'good war'.  That is the same in Thailand.