I don't want to rent a hotel and just sleep in my tent on a beach. Should I be afraid of police?

DizzyProtos

On 10/13/2023 at 8:22 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

It's illegal in Thailand. 

Go to Australia and holiday, they like your type, you'll probably be offered social security befefits, free medical etc. 

Have fun ????

LOL it is definitely illegal in the nanny state, you can camp only in designated camp sites near the beach but never on the sand, and sometimes you get charged 50-80 AUD for a couple of square metres of camping site.

• Thumbs Up 2

20 hours ago, gearbox said:

AFAIK there are no laws in Thailand in regards to wild camping. Obviously it is illegal to camp on private land without asking the owner. The beaches in Thailand are owned by the king and are public property.

I've camped on quite a few beaches straight on the sand (he'll need sand pegs), in official camp sites of the national parks, and on secluded remote beaches on the south islands.

Ao Yon and Panwa are not secluded, there are plenty of hotels there, no facilities and as TiT the owners around may call the police to move him out. Much better to head south to the camp sites of the Tarutao National Park, the camp sites have good facilities and he'll meet plenty of interesting travellers.

as have i when i cycled thru Thailand < I prefer to be back under the trees thou  ????

• Like 1

I have camped many times on a beach here in Thailand,no problem whatsoever!

If it is a beach with absolutely no other people you can do it also but of course you need some facilities.

What i usually do is find a beach with a restaurant nearby or something like that.

I ask for use of shower and toilet if i buy my meals and drinks there,always accepted and they will even keep an eye out for you.

Be very nice and respectful and you will find the Thai people will be the same.

There is a big increase of camping after Covid and you will see many younger Thais traveling together on motorbikes and camping.

Have fun!

IMG_20211019_060800.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

On 10/13/2023 at 4:22 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

It's illegal in Thailand. 

Go to Australia and holiday, they like your type, you'll probably be offered social security befefits, free medical etc. 

Have fun ????

It's the complete opposite in OZ there you are not allowed to free camp hardly anywhere anymore, local bylaws forbid it, certain criteria can apply, if a self contained camper some places you can, but 2 nights only, yes out in the bush or remote areas you can, one rule I came across was no camping within a certain distance (50k ?) to a camp site, national parks, only on the sites. motels were cheaper than most camp sites.

TTBOMK Thailand has no set laws on camping 

The police are the last thing you should worry about.

If you mange to find a nice secluded place, you might find you are sharing it with the local teenage scooter gang. 

I have a little experience wild camping, mostly in Malaysia where its more acceptable (mostly as the hotels and whatever are not so appealing) It gets really hot and close in a tent in Thailand, you need somewhere to wash up in the morning or you will feel pretty horrible the next day.

You will take your tent down at first light. Some resorts and all national parks allow camping but it's not a cheap alternative. 

tbh, you are better off getting a cheap hotel, but by all means bring a hammock and tarp, you could just throw it up if you could find a quiet spot and quickly breakdown at first light.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

One thought .. I always see workers camped under the Sala at the temple. Temples always have water and a kettle for a coffee in the morning.

I often drop the wife off at the market and slope off, park the truck in the shade and grab a couple of hours sleep. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, jvs said:

I have camped many times on a beach here in Thailand,no problem whatsoever

You are breaking the law.

I have riden my PCX shirtless many times in Thailand, no problem, but I'm breaking the law. 

Lots of quirky laws in Thailand. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, shackleton said:

What about your valuables money passport ect 

You have a good chance of being releaved of them living in a tent no security ect 

If Shackleton had the same mindset as you he wouldn't have left Ireland ????

4 hours ago, bradiston said:

Why come here at all?

I've met quite a few people, many of them Germans, who stayed for months camping on the south islands national parks campsites. Many are coming almost every year.

There are many campgrounds in Thailand. Some private and others, usually in national parks. See on Google.

You might also be able to ask permission from someone to pitch a tent on their land, " for a small fee."

You might be able to do it on some of the smaller, quieter islands. I remember about ten years ago, seeng someone camping on a beach in Koh Kood, but it's busier there nowadays.

You might get away with stealth camping, but very doubtful. Thais don't seem to miss a thing. Eyes everywhere.

Also, you might be leaving yourself open to crime if in out of the way places.

https://www.thainationalparks.com