Felicia, 25, in a coma after accident on Samui - family struggling to bring her home

webfact

9 minutes ago, impulse said:

The bigger questions are how can someone rent out a vehicle without confirming the renter is licensed to legally operate the vehicle, and how is it that a vehicle with no insurance can be registered and rented out

Have you visited Thailand yet?  That's how it works here, always has.  There was talk of a crackdown on Phuket but it's business as usual as far as I know. 

I like the way they roll here.  You can do pretty much what you want as long as it doesn't interfere with the locals, but the consequences fall squarely on your shoulders, regardless of who is at fault. 

The cops probably took a look at the situation, quickly ascertained what had happened and who was at fault, and let their countryman slide instead of putting him through the ringer. 

Maybe the young lady will stop being a gross ho after this incident, though I don't know how her parents will be able to live down the shame. 

11 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Felicia Cedergren, 25, is in a coma after a moped accident on the island of Koh Samui in Thailand. Now the family has gone there to try to get her home.

- Everything is terrible, it is so difficult to accept what happened, says Felicia's mother Susanna Cedergren.

Felicia Cedergren, 25, was on a long trip in Thailand . Last Sunday she had a serious accident on the Thai paradise island of Koh Samui .

After a day with friends and her boyfriend, she was on her way home in the rain. When she was going to cross the island on a moped, she got skidded and slid over to the other side of the road.

At the same time, another moped driver came from behind and tried to overtake Felicia and her crashed moped. During the overtaking, Felicia received a violent blow to the head, a blow that caused a cerebral hemorrhage, swelling of the brain and fractures in both the back and head.

Felicia's mother Susanna Cedergren was at home in Sweden when the accident occurred.

- I received a message on messenger from her boyfriend's mother who said that there had been a serious accident with Felicia. This set a lot of things in motion, we contacted the Ministry of Foreign Affairs but we only got help for self-help, so we decided to go down and arrived on Wednesday, says Susanna Cedergren.

image.jpeg

"It is progressing and the doctors cannot say when or if she will wake up," says Felicia's uncle Daniel Cedergren. Photo: Private

On location in Thailand

Susanna was accompanied to Thailand by son Filip Cedergren and Felicia's uncle Daniel Cedergren.

- Everything is terrible, it's so hard to accept what happened and it's terrible to see her like this, says Susanna Cedergren.

Now the family is fighting to bring Felicia home.

- We are constantly working around this and we do not give up, we want to get her home, that is our highest priority and we have the energy to work for it, says Daniel.

The person who drove Felicia has been questioned by the police and released without a report being drawn up. For a report, the family needs to do it themselves, but it is a last resort. They have contact with a lawyer on site and there may be a report if it is a way for them to get further help.

Appealing for help

The family's greatest wish is to bring her home to Sweden, they have appealed to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in a letter for help, but received the answer that they cannot go into individual cases and therefore could not assist with any further help.

There is another possibility to bring Felicia home as early as next week, but whether it will work depends on a number of factors.

- We have been in contact with SOS International who say they can fly Felicia home as early as Wednesday or Thursday if everything looks good, says Daniel Cedergren.

- But it can also take two weeks because they may need to have a surgical procedure.

The family also does not know how much it may cost them. Felicia's travel insurance had expired when the accident occurred. Her accident insurance does not cover the full hospital costs either. And mother Susanna's various insurances have not been able to help.

The flight alone costs almost SEK 750,000 (approx. 2.5 Mil THB) and for each day Felicia receives around-the-clock intensive care approximately SEK 50,000 (approx 165,000 THB per day).

This has prompted the family to start a fundraiser to raise money for the daughter's trip home.

- It is going well and we have received help from some influencers who shared it on social media and we are extremely grateful to everyone who helped us, says Daniel.

While the family's work continues to bring Felicia home, her own battle is ongoing in the hospital and according to doctors' forecasts, it is going in the right direction.

- We see a doctor every day who shows how the development is progressing, how she has started to become responsive to touch and that she has started to react to pain. But even if it is progressing, they cannot say when or if she will wake up, says maternal uncle Daniel Cedergren.

TOP picture: 25-year-old Felicia was on a long trip in Thailand when the tragic accident occurred. Photo: Private

Source: Aftonbladet 2023-10-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Again fund raising ????. I really dislike that behaviour.

Sure, it's a tragedy for the family and more for the girl. 

They paid a lot for the trip but forgot sufficient insurance.

As I don't know the girl I'm convinced she's not riding a motorcycle in Sweden. Hardly nobody does it there.

So, no experience and maybe no helmet.

No fundraising at all!!????

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I find it difficult to believe she could have sustained the kind of serious head injuries alluded to in the OP if she had been wearing a helmet.

She might have took the helmet off (playing Devil's advocate) after she hit the ground.   As the head injury was from another scooter that hit her afterwards.  

"At the same time, another moped driver came from behind and tried to overtake Felicia and her crashed moped. During the overtaking, Felicia received a violent blow to the head, a blow that caused a cerebral hemorrhage, swelling of the brain and fractures in both the back and head."

• Haha 1

About her insurance:

In Sweden most people have home insurance. That insurance almost always gives you medical coverage abroad for 30 days after you leave Sweden. It doesn´t cover everything. For example, if you want coverage for diving or mountaineering accidents you have to pay extra. But it covers traffic accidents, including expensive things like flying you back home or intensive care. If you want coverage for more than 30 days you have to buy extra travel insurance. As a general rule, Swedish tourists going to Thailand for the normal 2-3 weeks have medical coverage. Those who don´t are outliers.  I have never seen (I am Swedish) any cases of people that have insurance that are being denied help from the insurance companies because they did not wear a helmet, did not have a license for a motorbike in Thailand or because traces of alcohol could be found in their blood. It is always cases like this. And they are not common.

According to an article I read this girl sold her apartment (or moved out from a rental) before she went to Thailand. No home, no home insurance. In that situation she would have needed to buy medical insurance. Which she appearantly did not do.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Nsp64 said:

Hold on a moment ! 

Felicia got into an accident and bumped her head, now the Thai health care system is going to milk it for all it's worth..........there,  fixed it !!

Private hospitals have always been expensive.

What's your point ?

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, stoner said:

what does it mean to get skidded ? was she wearing a helmet at the time ? 

Apparently not since someone who drove past her kicked her in the head causing the trauma hence the coma. What I do not understand is why there is no mention in the OP about the driver of the bike who kicked her in the head while she was laying on the ground after she slid on the bike. Surely that would be a criminal act in itself. 

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

She might have took the helmet off (playing Devil's advocate) after she hit the ground.   As the head injury was from another scooter that hit her afterwards.  

"At the same time, another moped driver came from behind and tried to overtake Felicia and her crashed moped. During the overtaking, Felicia received a violent blow to the head, a blow that caused a cerebral hemorrhage, swelling of the brain and fractures in both the back and head."

That may have happened. Difficult to know from the OP, which is quite vague.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

6 people paying for insurance now, or 100 people paying for insurance, its pretty obvious the costs (premiums) more likely would go down.

It is only obvious to people that do not think things through. When six people buy insurance, only six people are covered. When 100 people buy insurance, 100 people have to be covered. 

The people already buying insurance generally have assets they stand to lose. The people that go without insurance, often do not.

14 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

Riskier can be based on medical history, insurance history, claim history, age, etc. 

Right now, you pay the money and get the travel insurance. You (apparently) want to compel people to provide a lot of personal information that the insurance company has to verify, which would take weeks and add cost. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I think the easiest/best thing to do is to make the rental companies liable. 

Why?  Theres always that one who thinks that everything should be regulated to protect yourself from yourself... what ever happened to self responsibility.  Oh wait... participation trophies from momma.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

you assume people with non immigrant entry have licences ?

No. But I do assume if you're renting a vehicle you have a license from Thailand but at least from home country

I assume any foreigner that drives transportation is 100% legal. You certainly wouldn't rent to someone without a license. In western countries you'd be liable for their damages and probably the idiot as well

15 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Why?  Theres always that one who thinks that everything should be regulated to protect yourself from yourself... what ever happened to self responsibility.  Oh wait... participation trophies from momma.

Because I think the people participating in the behaviors should pay for the results of the behavior. 

Right now, if some bone-head rents a motorcycle and runs me down on the sidewalk, I would be liable for my medical bills, and my taxes will ultimately pay for bone-head's medical bills. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jelli said:

No. But I do assume if you're renting a vehicle you have a license from Thailand but at least from home country

I assume any foreigner that drives transportation is 100% legal. You certainly wouldn't rent to someone without a license. In western countries you'd be liable for their damages and probably the idiot as well

You sure do like the word "assume".

Something weird here with the reporting. Essential details missing like helmet, who was driving, who goes on holiday with their boyfriend's uncle, what happened to the driver who was overtaking her and hit her in the back of the head? What does got skidded mean? Is it it just poor English meaning she skidded or did the overtaking motorcycle driver behind her hit her and make her skid. Was Felicia actually driving? It doesn't state explicitly that she was. Was the person who hit her from behind, her boyfriend or uncle? Where they at a fault?