Odd behavior at a theater.

Felton Jarvis

3 hours ago, nikmar said:

My family have stopped going together to the cinema for a while now, ever since my son started gaining his own opinions on a subject. Last movie we saw as a family was “Creed 2” I think. During the “anthem” my son, along with about 80% of the cinema didn’t stand but my wife, a staunch royalist, did. It wasn’t pretty. All through the movie my wife snapped at our son who, unwisely, argued back to his Mum. We had to leave in the end.

Now, I watch a movie with my son, we both don’t stand. I go with my wife, we watched “Oppenhiemer” recently, I stand with her. Just to keep her company ????.

Its not illegal. Some time ago, Prayut advised young Thais to be brave against their peers and stand in support of the institution, even if they are bullied for it.

I'm not sure if my wife would stand now or not.  She was deeply committed and respectful to Rama 9 and Rama 5.  Now?  ???? "Hummmmm." 
We haven been to a movie since before the death of King Bhumiphol and considering that I can't stand movie theaters, we may never find out. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, clokwise said:

This is a touchy subject to address publicly, I hope you catch my drift. Let's just say for the last four years many Thais have chosen to no longer honor the tradition of standing when they hear a certain song. Don't worry, no one is gonna haul you out of the cinema and off to jail.

This ^^ except the "tradition" was out of a deep love and respect that didn't get passed along

4 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Protesting for chickensh*ts.

It's like taking a knee at a ballgame.  

Not even close - Taking a knee at a ballgame is disrespecting the country as a whole because someone's great granny didn't get "40 acres and a mule". I say, give 'em all 40 acres and a mule and cutoff the welfare checks. They can start with all the national parks in CA. That's 6,240,000 acres - much cheaper than the $103 Billion paid per year just in CA.

Bet they'd start getting down on both knees begging to have it reversed. Even better, they (the overnight millionaires taking a knee) could just share their combined yearly take of $43 Billion income (again, just in CA for relevance) with all those they're protesting for but you won't see THAT happening either.

Edited by mrwebb8825
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Somjot said:

The cinemas themselves were surprised in the early 80s when the first video tapes came on the market, as they were sure their business has come to an end.

At that time, we had VHS, Beta and video 2000; only the first survived.

However, the reason for cinemas still being there is quite simple:

no matter how big your screen is and how sharp the image, there is nothing like this cinema experience where you`re basically sitting in the middle of the action together with many others and just forget the world around yourself.

Does not appeal to me and many i know, i much prefer to sit in my house and watch on the telly, no other people, no travelling to and from cinema and no cost.

To each their own i guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrwebb8825 said:

This ^^ except the "tradition" was out of a deep love and respect that didn't get passed along

Not even close - Taking a knee at a ballgame is disrespecting the country as a whole because someone's great granny didn't get "40 acres and a mule". I say, give 'em all 40 acres and a mule and cutoff the welfare checks. They can start with all the national parks in CA. That's 6,240,000 acres - much cheaper than the $103 Billion paid per year just in CA.

Bet they'd start getting down on both knees begging to have it reversed. Even better, they (the overnight millionaires taking a knee) could just share their combined yearly take of $43 Billion income (again, just in CA for relevance) with all those they're protesting for but you won't see THAT happening either.

Racist much?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Denim said:

Why. I'm that old that hardly any movie I have seen has a new plot. Seen it all before. Also, a lot of movies are made to appeal to the generation with a lot of disposable income , no mortage or children etc. So they mostly appear to younger rather than older people. Hence, a lot of gratuitous violence and excessive bad language. Last  good movies I can remember watching were Sideways , Missisipi burning and the Great Kowalski. 

The world would be a boring place if everyone enjoyed the same things and had the same taste.

I was just joking around.

More about not watching TV.

That is unusual.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I was just joking around.

More about not watching TV.

That is unusual.

I watch the news and thats about it. If I don't feel like reading then youtube is my go to entertainment. This I can do in my man cave leaving the wife to watch her Korean or Chinese soaps. Dreadful things.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

This shouldn't be any surprise to anyone at all that has spoken to a few Thai people that are willing to talk in the last decade. Of course understandably Thai people don't usually want to talk about such things with f-rangs.

Nor should they. What the the benefit? Nothing. What is the cost? Depending on what's said can be absrdly serious

8 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

We all do things here in LOS to get along because the positives outweigh the negatives. Standing for 2 minutes doesn't seem out of line or difficult.

But it's not necessary, would you stand if you were the only person there doing it thinking you were doing something positive?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

We all do things here in LOS to get along because the positives outweigh the negatives. Standing for 2 minutes doesn't seem out of line or difficult.

Sure if that's what Thaus are doing. 

If they aren't it's easy to stay seated too!