House speakership up in air as resistance to Jim Jordan hardens

Social Media

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

Yeah, McHenry would be a reasonable option for the short term.  For the longer term, Dems should consider getting behind Liz Cheney.  She has the conservative credentials which should get some Rep support.  She also hates Trump, which is something every Dem can get behind....555

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/maddowblog/raskin-points-republicans-might-get-dems-support-speaker-rcna120995

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Doesn't the speaker have to be a sitting member of congress?

Cheney got the boot last election.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liz_Cheney

On August 16, 2022, Cheney lost renomination in Wyoming's Republican primary to Trump-endorsed Harriet Hageman in a landslide, garnering just 28.9% of the vote.

No the speaker does not have to be a sitting member of Congress.

Article 1. Section II, Clause 5 of the Constitution of the United States:

https://constitution.congress.gov/browse/article-1/section-2/clause-5/#:~:text=Clause 5 Impeachment,the sole Power of Impeachment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, JCauto said:

This among other things is why the USA is in such a mess; the Right simply pretends things like "we'll fight to the death defending the Constitution!" but don't even understand the basics of what is written in it.

They don't even try for that any more, except for the Sedition Caucus.  McConnell announced that the purpose of the GOP Congress was to ensure that Obama was a one-term president, and that was that.

I think it was the day after the GOP lost the 2012 election that Bobby Jindel, a GOP contender for the WH that year, said "the Republican Party has to stop being the party of stupid."  Sez who?

15 hours ago, JCauto said:

Another "Constitutional Conservative" asking the real questions! This among other things is why the USA is in such a mess; the Right simply pretends things like "we'll fight to the death defending the Constitution!" but don't even understand the basics of what is written in it. Once informed, if they don't like the consequences, then they're in favour of burning the thing to the ground.

This is the problem of not having any actual principles, very soon one finds oneself supporting diametrically opposite positions or following someone who shares none of your actual values. Never mind that those values are appalling and you'd be virulently opposed to them being applied to your own people.

When faced with the choice between two appalling people, one tries to pick the less appalling one to support.

20 hours ago, stevenl said:

No.

I'll have to accept that you may know more about the speaker position than I, but seems strange then that the position has always, to my knowledge, been occupied by a sitting member of the house, and if it is possible why is it not being considered now?

Regardless, cheney would never be acceptable to many in the GOP, so not even worth considering.

On 10/21/2023 at 3:35 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I'll have to accept that you may know more about the speaker position than I, but seems strange then that the position has always, to my knowledge, been occupied by a sitting member of the house, and if it is possible why is it not being considered now?

Regardless, cheney would never be acceptable to many in the GOP, so not even worth considering.

It wouldn't take many if she had unanimous Democratic support. Only 6 Republicans would be needed.

9 Republicans are running for House speaker. Only 2 of them voted to certify the 2020 election

After House Republicans dropped Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, as the nominee for House speaker Friday, nine candidates threw their hat in the ring for the top spot. 

But only two of those lawmakers voted to certify the 2020 election, raising questions among some Republicans about where they'll lend their support in the speaker battle. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2023/10/23/2-house-speaker-candidates-republicna-certify-2020-election/71286754007/

14 hours ago, placeholder said:

9 Republicans are running for House speaker. Only 2 of them voted to certify the 2020 election

After House Republicans dropped Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, as the nominee for House speaker Friday, nine candidates threw their hat in the ring for the top spot. 

But only two of those lawmakers voted to certify the 2020 election, raising questions among some Republicans about where they'll lend their support in the speaker battle. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2023/10/23/2-house-speaker-candidates-republicna-certify-2020-election/71286754007/

So only two of them are committed to democracy and rule of law.