Have you ever had trouble in Pattaya?

georgegeorgia

5 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I had a few Thai guys earlier this year push in front of me at 711 , they just walked Infront of me , I immediately apologised to them and let them in ,it's not worth getting into trouble over it ,I had to wait a few more minutes in line but so what ,it's their country, 

Even Wai them 🙏if you have to ,it's called swallowing your pride 

I have never had to swallow my pride.

Simply being polite has proved sufficient over these many years.

• Love It 1

I nearly got attacked.

There was a guy, I think he was Arab ... he was being agressive with a street worker on Beach road.

I told him to leave her alone and then he directed his anger towards me. 

Don't get involved in other people's disputes unless you're ready to get into a fight or get yourself killed.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Walking street apparently in my guess would be the area where assaults would occur most but even then it's caused by drunken farangs 

Look let's face it ,most if not all these "altercations" between farang and Thai people are caused by the farang not showing respect and swallowing their pride 

I had a few Thai guys earlier this year push in front of me at 711 , they just walked Infront of me , I immediately apologised to them and let them in ,it's not worth getting into trouble over it ,I had to wait a few more minutes in line but so what ,it's their country, 

Your story has nothing to do with lack of respect being shown to Thai's. It shows the exact opposite, nothing more.  

14 minutes ago, Dan O said:

They dont count the incidence that are never recorded because the police typically dont file a case and require you to settle it between each other in a large number of occurrences whenever they can? 

You are asking me if they don't report the cases...that are never recorded?

Short of something out of the movie Minority Report, how would that work?

5 minutes ago, QuantumQuandry said:

5 minutes ago, QuantumQuandry said:

It doesn't and that's my point about you posting that data. Its not very accurate since in the case of Thailand its common that the majority of incidence are never recorded or filed so statistics are less than usable. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dan O said:

It doesn't and that's my point about you posting that data. Its not very accurate since in the case of Thailand its common that the majority of incidence are never recorded or filed so statistics are less than usable. 

It probably isn't.  Go ahead and post some more reliable data and I will be happy to use that instead.

Until then, isn't it probably better than "Nothing bad ever happened to me" singular anecdotes?

Edited by QuantumQuandry
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, QuantumQuandry said:

It probably isn't.  Go ahead and post some more reliable data and I will be happy to use that instead.

Until then, isn't it probably better than "Nothing bad ever happened to me" singular anecdotes?

Kinda ridiculous to ask me to post something that doesn't exist as is posting faulty data without disclaiming the flaws in what you data. 

Sorry that I'm pointing out the uselessness of that data,  but it is what it is. 

1 hour ago, Dan O said:

Kinda ridiculous to ask me to post something that doesn't exist as is posting faulty data without disclaiming the flaws in what you data. 

Sorry that I'm pointing out the uselessness of that data,  but it is what it is. 

It's not ridiculous to ask someone who criticizes something to provide something better.  If I wanted someone to point out flaws all day without offering anything of value, I would go live with my mother in law.

You also didn't point out uselessness, you pointed out a limitation of the data.  Which I agreed with.  And I will even go further, now,  than you did, and say it's got more limitations than that because it's not even an official source and a limited number of data points.

That said, I think it's a reasonable contribution in a thread where so far, there was only singular anecdotal evidence.  If you don't agree, provide something better.

49 minutes ago, QuantumQuandry said:

It's not ridiculous to ask someone who criticizes something to provide something better.  If I wanted someone to point out flaws all day without offering anything of value, I would go live with my mother in law.

You also didn't point out uselessness, you pointed out a limitation of the data.  Which I agreed with.  And I will even go further, now,  than you did, and say it's got more limitations than that because it's not even an official source and a limited number of data points.

That said, I think it's a reasonable contribution in a thread where so far, there was only singular anecdotal evidence.  If you don't agree, provide something better.

Its a reasonable contribution IF you point out the limitations or uselessness of the data which wasn't.

Many unknowing people reading that would walk away thinking its far safer than it is and also probably presume the police are on top of crime and problems, which they certainly are not. 

I pointed out the limitations of what was posted as you put it and it apparently upsets you, but thats on you and the issues you may have with your MIL.  

Again as you know well or  now admit  there isn't any data to show real events so asking for it to be posted in this instance is pointless. 

9 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Walking street apparently in my guess would be the area where assaults would occur most but even then it's caused by drunken farangs 

Look let's face it ,most if not all these "altercations" between farang and Thai people are caused by the farang not showing respect and swallowing their pride 

Why are you singling out Whitey ("farang") in your posts, are you rascist against your own kind?

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Why are you singling out Whitey ("farang") in your posts, are you rascist against your own kind?

it's not good to have too much complacency when living abroad that everyone with the same skin color or who is from the same country as you or who is a farang is your friend.

Edited by save the frogs
  • Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Its a reasonable contribution IF you point out the limitations or uselessness of the data which wasn't.

Many unknowing people reading that would walk away thinking its far safer than it is and also probably presume the police are on top of crime and problems, which they certainly are not. 

I pointed out the limitations of what was posted as you put it and it apparently upsets you, but thats on you and the issues you may have with your MIL.  

Again as you know well or  now admit  there isn't any data to show real events so asking for it to be posted in this instance is pointless. 

You seem upset that I ask you to do more than be a critic and provide something useful to the thread.

And you seem confused about the difference between the words "limited" and "useless".

Anyway, you don't seem to be addressing my counter points so I guess we can end our discussion.

5 hours ago, save the frogs said:

I nearly got attacked.

There was a guy, I think he was Arab ... he was being agressive with a street worker on Beach road.

I told him to leave her alone and then he directed his anger towards me. 

Don't get involved in other people's disputes unless you're ready to get into a fight or get yourself killed.

What a coincidence. Same happened to me often. Except that it was usually a drunk beer belly Brit or Aussie...

9 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

No one Thai or otherwise will cut in front of me in any queue or they will know all about it. If you are too scared to stick up for yourself against anyone you may as well join the "scared of your own shadow" brigade.

And of course you are ex CIA, ex Navy Seal and why not, ex SAS and GIGN ? sure..

1 hour ago, QuantumQuandry said:

You seem upset that I ask you to do more than be a critic and provide something useful to the thread.

And you seem confused about the difference between the words "limited" and "useless".

Anyway, you don't seem to be addressing my counter points so I guess we can end our discussion.

you have no counter points that weren't addressed, you're just trying to deflect now. not upset at all, unlike you, but you can go.

2 hours ago, save the frogs said:

it's not good to have too much complacency when living abroad that everyone with the same skin color or who is from the same country as you or who is a farang is your friend.

Sure, but Whitey aren't the only non-Thai race that get into altercations with the locals in Pattaya so why is the OP singling them out?

• Thumbs Up 1