Foreigners and Thais Severely Injured in Midnight Pattaya Crash

webfact

10 hours ago, KannikaP said:

But the headline says Midnight!

On 10/23/2023 at 4:58 AM, webfact said:

The incident occurred near Mouse Bar, located in the city of Pattaya, around 3:00 am on October 22. Rescue workers from Sawang Boriboon Thammasathan Foundation, accompanied by an ambulance, quickly arrived on the scene.

I see 03:00 am?

On 10/23/2023 at 9:59 AM, mikebell said:

In Pattaya this means who can pay the most.

Totally untrue!!  When my friend was hit by a car, the Pattaya police were amazingly helpful, assigning an English speaking officer to mediate the case.  Though the driver was from the UK, his wife brought in their village headman to negotiate but the senior cop in charge was totally even-handed and no bribe was asked or even hinted at. Everything was on the up and up and totally fair.

Please stop the ignorant perpetuating of myths.

Edited by dddave

18 hours ago, dddave said:

Totally untrue!!  When my friend was hit by a car, the Pattaya police were amazingly helpful, assigning an English speaking officer to mediate the case.  Though the driver was from the UK, his wife brought in their village headman to negotiate but the senior cop in charge was totally even-handed and no bribe was asked or even hinted at. Everything was on the up and up and totally fair.

You give a good example of things going well, just a single incidence. I believe as this was a falang on falang matter that was the reason. I have heard of many incidences where the penalty went against a foreigner, despite the local being completely in the wrong.....and one where a criminal was allowed to go free for a crime that would get many decades in say the USA, as police negotiated a split of a cash payment. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dddave said:

It's obvious we are miles apart depending on which cop/station is involved. These are NOT myths:

1  A female Thai hired a car from my S-i-L & sold it.  The family took the thief (in my car) to Dongtan police station where a fat officer demanded 10K to proceed.  The S-i-L (a nurse) spent four years paying back a bank loan on a car she did not have.

2  I was waiting at a U-turn in Bang Saray when two tearaways crashed into me at 90kph (I have photos).  A scruffy cop turned up 15 minutes later & deemed the farang was at fault (for crossing a major road from a minor!).  A hopeless car Insurance agent eventually cost me 90K in damages + the cop at Sattahip took 15K off my wife or my next-year's visa would be 'difficult.'

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

It's obvious we are miles apart depending on which cop/station is involved. These are NOT myths:

1  A female Thai hired a car from my S-i-L & sold it.  The family took the thief (in my car) to Dongtan police station where a fat officer demanded 10K to proceed.  The S-i-L (a nurse) spent four years paying back a bank loan on a car she did not have.

2  I was waiting at a U-turn in Bang Saray when two tearaways crashed into me at 90kph (I have photos).  A scruffy cop turned up 15 minutes later & deemed the farang was at fault (for crossing a major road from a minor!).  A hopeless car Insurance agent eventually cost me 90K in damages + the cop at Sattahip took 15K off my wife or my next-year's visa would be 'difficult.'

Clearly, I was too hasty in saying "Totally untrue" and labeling "myths"   As you say, different situations, different experiences.  In my 20+ years here and sometimes on this forum, farangs have reported being surprised at how even handed police were in dealing with a Thai-farang accident but indeed, there are a host of other reports that go the other way.