Hit and run got me, I'm all broken!

BritManToo

8 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:
3 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Still no excuse for what he did. 

What if BM2 was hanging around the Uni offering girls 500 Bhat for short time and the Uni Lecturer chased him off .

I seem to recall previously that BM2 stated he had personally  turned Uni girls into prostitution .

Maybe he was up to that again ?

And that excuses attempted murder ???

Your 'whatiffery' is not only out of order, its ridiculous and in this instance fundamentally flawed as you are making up scenarios which completely differ from the incident itself. 

Additionally, unless anyone is presenting an imminent threat of physical injury or risk to life there is no call whatsoever for escalation to a physical response.

In your comments it seems you want to find any reason whereby it could be justified for someone to 'deliberately drive into a stationary motorcyclist at a junction'... and there isn't any.

Edited by richard_smith237

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Charge translates to "Causing serious bodily harm", which I assume is the same as GBH back in the UK (assault with a deadly weapon).

Suggested jail time (by public prosecutor) was 5 - 10 years.

I have no lawyer, this is the state Vs my attacker.

I know his family are wealthy as this court was dealing with violent crimes, and the other 5 cases being tried were brought in wearing leg irons and pink "scrubs" and he could afford bail.

Surprised it's got this far, as I wasn't expecting anything.

What's the case number? my lawyer friend wants to check the compensation side. Up to you

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

How much was the bail?

Good to hear you are nearly mended physically, although I suppose you are far more wary on the roads.

Don't know it's state Vs criminal, they don't tell me anything or talk to me now. I get called as a possible witness and that's it.

These days, even walking, I am ten-times more cautious, and try to always remain vigilant listening for, and turning to look at, cars/trucks approaching from behind, as I travel down the left side of the road, facing oncoming traffic.

It's a nightmare, and rather scary, to think about being hit from behind either by a drunk, or by some nutcase driving and texting, or just by some distracted driver.

I will not say that this is something unique to Thailand.

I think I would be even more fearful about walking in the USA  on roads without "sidewalks", as they call them there.

How do I know?

You should listen to one of Stephen King's scariest horror stories....

If you wanna know....

So, it can happen here, just as it can happen there.

image.png.cc07912a3de157cf16e40c87b392f1fc.png

Edited by GammaGlobulin

20 minutes ago, Screaming said:

One of the thousand reasons I will never get on a motorbike in Thailand. They are a death wish.

Mimicking daft comments as 'Death wish'.... one of the reasons I'll ever accept any such comments has being clever.... 

...  Putting a gun to your head and firing it is having a death-wish.

Defensively riding a motorcycle around in a safe manner, not drunk, in the day time, while not raining, not speeding and wearing decent gear (at the very least a helmet) is not a death wish...   Its evaluating the risks vs the convenience. 

Getting in a car and travelling at 120 kmh on the expressway carries its inherent risk - yet I'm sure you get in a car.... Getting a taxi being driven by someone with an extremely poor education who may be 'under the influence of some substance, booze or narcotic' instead of driving yourself carries inherent risks...   Crossing a road carries an inherent risks that we must evaluate....   

... I think you get the point, but just incase you are missing it... 

... 'Bad stuff' can happen at any time, and riding a motorcycle here certainly cannot be considered a 'safe endeavour'...however, we can minimise the risk such that the risk profile as it applies to ourselves is far far less than the risk profile implied by the stats which includes street racers, drunk riders, speeders, those without helmets, youngsters without experience, those who'll undertake a left turning lorry etc etc....   

...  None of that implies that riding is without risk to us 'experienced western riders', but 'death wish' is a throwaway remark which lacks critical thought....   particularly when referenced to an extreme event which is ultimately a 'freak' occurrence....

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

These days, even walking, I am ten-times more cautious, and try to always remain vigilant listening for, and turning to look at, cars/trucks approaching from behind, as I travel down the left side of the road, facing oncoming traffic.

It's a nightmare, and rather scary, to think about being hit from behind either by a drunk, or by some nutcase driving and texting, or just by some distracted driver.

I will not say that this is something unique to Thailand.

I think I would be even more fearful about walking in the USA  on roads without "sidewalks", as they call them there.

How do I know?

You should listen to one of Stephen King's scariest horror stories....

If you wanna know....

So, it can happen here, just as it can happen there.

image.png.cc07912a3de157cf16e40c87b392f1fc.png

I wasn't too concerned about traffic in the US, even if I had to drive on the wrong side of the road, and remember where to look if I was a pedestrian. For the most part, I found American drivers to be sensible.

OTOH, I did not feel comfortable in a country where every police officer was toting a gun. Although it is pretty much the same here.

Every time I went to a show or sporting event, I was wondering if a crazy would pop out of the woodwork.

9 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

True, but if you fine locals, who are doing the majority of the bad driving here, you take money away from those that don't have much, and that's the best deterrent. Taking away their scooters would also work as a lesson. Walking isn't fun, especially if you live in the country.

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The fines are too small to be a deterrent, usually 200 baht.

Take someone's scooter away for a month, it probably affects their livelihood.

??

Do you guys live in Thailand?? Any Thai would have another scooter to use in less than 5 minutes. Moms, dads, uncles, aunts, grandparents, sons, daughters, cousins, local pawn shops.............

Take their scooter away for a month as punishment. :cheesy: 

You guys are hilarious.