Thais are largest group of dead foreigners in Israel

webfact

image.jpeg

Thai nationals make up the largest single group of foreigners killed or missing following the October 7 Hamas attack in Israel. According to a Reuters report, 24 Thais have been confirmed dead and 21 remain unaccounted for. The number being held captive by Hamas has risen to 54.

In total, Hamas are believed to be holding 220 people captive and over half of those hold foreign passports from 25 different countries, according to the Israeli government.

A total of 328 people from 40 countries have been confirmed as dead or missing, according to updated figures from Israeli officials.

By Peter Roche

PHOTO: AFP

Full story: PhuketGO 2023-10-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 5

1 minute ago, pacovl46 said:

Why anyone would want to work in Israel or Gaza is beyond me! 10 horses couldn't drag me down there for all the money in the world! 

Some folk can work anywhere to feed their family without mum nearby, how about you......😘

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Some folk can work anywhere to feed their family without mum nearby, how about you......😘

My mom died in 1982 and I have been managing quite well since then. Thanks for asking! I still wouldn't go to work in Israel out of principle and my life is worth more than the money I could be making there. Are you able to comprehend that? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, vangrop said:

Why would anyone want to work in Israel? Maybe because it is easy to get a working visa, I wouldn't know. But what I know is that they are known for treating their workers as slaves.

I think they just require foreigners to work as hard as they do.

4 hours ago, transam said:

So you're an "I'm alright Jack", many thousands of Thais are not, many go where they can find money for their family, they come from a country that pays peanuts with virtually no social security, try thinking outside your box.... 🙄

Truth be told, there are plenty of reports of individual Thais and groups of Thai workers being abused and harmed -- though not necessarily killed -- in various other foreign employment destinations, including some of the various richer Middle East countries and even sometimes in places like South Korea.

Perhaps given a hypothetical choice between Saudi Arabia, et. al. and [pre-war] Israel, Israel wouldn't have looked so bad / risky / dangerous -- though no way would I ever have taken a job anywhere near Gaza.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

Because Thais are the largest group of foreign migrant laborers in Israel

Is that true? I was not aware that so many Thais were in Israel. I spent many years working in the ME and never saw many. Never worked in Israel. No oil

Edited by bang saen guy

10 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Apparently  Hamas targeted them. Probably because they resent them taking jobs that used to go to Palestinians with border passes in years gone by.

That might well be true. I am in the region presently and they do look down on Asians also, no doubt about that.