What do you like or dislike in the new MacBook Pro 2023 and 2024 ? Ideas, rants and Recommendations welcome.

observer90210

53 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What Louis shows in many of his hardware related videos is how Apple rips of the customers by making it hard to impossible to repair a device. The error might be a chip which usually cost max a few dollars. But Apple makes sure nobody can buy the chips so that they can sell replacement parts for hundreds or thousands of dollars.

I must have owned about 25  Apple devices  and  haven't spent anything  beyond Apple care or battery replacements on older laptops. Apple products are elegant, pleasant to work with, reliable and extremely well supported by the Apple network.

I replaced my 8 year-old MacBook Pro with the new M1 MacBook Pro 16 inch and it's fantastic. I also just recently replaced my 27-in Mac desktop with the M2 Studio and a 42 inch LG C2 Oled as a display. Also fantastic, so my suggestion is if you can afford it, go for it. Computer wise, they are as it gets. 

Though I am obviously an Apple fan, I do use a Samsung S22 Ultra, as I feel it's a much better phone than the iPhone. On countless levels. 

7 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

I must have owned about 25  Apple devices  and  haven't spent anything  beyond Apple care or battery replacements on older laptops. Apple products are elegant, pleasant to work with, reliable and extremely well supported by the Apple network.

Good luck for you.

Louis business is repairing Apple products and recovering data from Apple products. He does that since many years very successful. He couldn't do that successfully if Apple would do it themselves.

I know not all Apple products fail and other brands have also their problems. This thread is about Apple and there won't be many people who are more qualified talking about the hardware and repair politics than Louis. Just watch some of his videos. 

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I never saw him talking about iOS.

The video you linked is exactly him talking about iOS at the first, I haven’t watched all the way through, so unless you didn’t watch it at all I fail to understand your statement, having read further it seems you didn’t, so it doesn’t help your argument.

I think it is interesting that from an electronic engineering point of view Apple is by far not as good as many people think it is.

From a user’s point of view, Mac’s are just vastly more reliable and easer to use. So while they may be able to be better built it is virtually irrelevant to the user specifically because the Apple warranty service is so phenomenally good. Were the repair service similar to the other companies it would drastically impact the brand loyalty that Apple has.

What Louis shows in many of his hardware related videos is how Apple rips of the customers by making it hard to impossible to repair a device.

That is his (and it seems your) viewpoint. The “rip off” claim is totally subjective not objective.

It is very possible to make arguments that the restrictions are beneficial to customers, as while there are superb repair technicians who can do a good job, there are many more who can bodge things. The problem with that is that the superb repair does nothing to enhance Apple (the product failed after all) while the bodge jobs have a disproportionate negative influence on Apple (the product failed and the repair tech didn’t or couldn’t do anything) so the inference is that the failure was because of Apple, not the repair tech.

So by making repairs in house Apple ensures that they can make the customers happy (or at least not unhappy)

I have had 2 MacBook Pro’s over the years that had significant faults, both had extremely fast turnaround’s on repair (the fastest was just over 48 hours from collection to return) they got ¾ repairs each over 2+ years then I received a newer model as a replacement. So buy 1 get 1 free!!

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Well, we will see in about 8 hours what new Macbooks Apple will announce. Looking forward to M3 although they probably will announce only new Pro models and not a new Air which I'm waiting for.

Correct it’s the MacBook Pro and iMac that get the M3 chips 

you are going to have to wait about 6 months for the Air

52 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The video you linked is exactly him talking about iOS at the first, I haven’t watched all the way through, so unless you didn’t watch it at all I fail to understand your statement, having read further it seems you didn’t, so it doesn’t help your argument.

From a user’s point of view, Mac’s are just vastly more reliable and easer to use. So while they may be able to be better built it is virtually irrelevant to the user specifically because the Apple warranty service is so phenomenally good. Were the repair service similar to the other companies it would drastically impact the brand loyalty that Apple has.

That is his (and it seems your) viewpoint. The “rip off” claim is totally subjective not objective.

It is very possible to make arguments that the restrictions are beneficial to customers, as while there are superb repair technicians who can do a good job, there are many more who can bodge things. The problem with that is that the superb repair does nothing to enhance Apple (the product failed after all) while the bodge jobs have a disproportionate negative influence on Apple (the product failed and the repair tech didn’t or couldn’t do anything) so the inference is that the failure was because of Apple, not the repair tech.

So by making repairs in house Apple ensures that they can make the customers happy (or at least not unhappy)

I have had 2 MacBook Pro’s over the years that had significant faults, both had extremely fast turnaround’s on repair (the fastest was just over 48 hours from collection to return) they got ¾ repairs each over 2+ years then I received a newer model as a replacement. So buy 1 get 1 free!!

I didn't look at the video I added in my post above. I saw many of his videos which are mostly about Apple hardware and their repair policies. He shows often enough that Apple charges enormous amounts of money to fix minor problems.

It seems you are an Apple fan and if you want to buy their products and be happy with them then do that.

For everybody else, who don't want to be ripped off, here is another video. I watched that one and Louis knows what he is talking about. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/28/2023 at 5:18 AM, timendres said:

I have the M1 MacBook Pro. Best computer I have ever owned.

The screen is fantastic, and the keyboard is finally "back" to awesome.

I have been waiting for the M3 (if 3nm) to upgrade.

The only improvement I would like to see is a slightly smaller trackpad.

I am with you - 16-inch M1 Macbook Pro owner here and it's the perfect machine! My feeling is that for existing M1 or M2 MacBook Pros, the new machines, while nice, aren't sufficiently different / better from what we already have to justify an upgrade. I used my 2014 i7 Macbook Pro for 7 years before I upgraded to my current machine. I don't know if I will wait quite that long to upgrade, but am guessing by the time M6 MacBook Pros comes around, i might be ready to upgrade. Apple nailed it with the M-series MacBook Pros and whether you have an M1, M2 or M3, you have a sweet machine!