What do you like or dislike in the new MacBook Pro 2023 and 2024 ? Ideas, rants and Recommendations welcome.

observer90210

39 minutes ago, timendres said:

I have the M1 MacBook Pro. Best computer I have ever owned.

The screen is fantastic, and the keyboard is finally "back" to awesome.

I have been waiting for the M3 (if 3nm) to upgrade.

The only improvement I would like to see is a slightly smaller trackpad.

Man you make me feel lika a Dinosaur with my i7 Pro, Intel based 2016 unit !! 😆 Guess I'll go for the Pro as the Air seems to have the heating issues. Hope the 2024 one's will get back the touchbar.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, timendres said:

I still have, and still use, my 2014 Intel MBP. almost 10 years on, three replaced keyboards (I am really tough on keyboards), and some delamination of the screen (unnoticeable when lit), and it is still a workhorse.

Delamination seems to  happen with cleaner fluid here, I remember buying some from the 20baht store and almost ate through my screen, I've since bought a 200baht one from a proper store but even that seems be too corrosive, get someone to bring over some from back home before cleaning up that sneeze mark 🤣..

• Thanks 1

I have become a real Apple Fanboy!

I have a 14" M2 Pro.  (Also an M1 Mac Mini, a 2 year old 11" iPad Pro, & as of yesterday an iPhone 15ProMax, to replace my 12PM)

I am happy with my Mac Book. It is very fast, and has plenty of  oomph to perform any photography or video editing tasks I need to do.

It is quite hefty, compared with the iPad. It can get a little warm with extended use - but has never crashed on me.

I tell a lie - it did crash once.  My bloody cat knocked it off my desk - it landed on its corner & cracked the screen , which eventually went black after a few days. 20K Baht later - new screen - all good again.

I am not sure what the improvements of the 24 Mac will be, but I am happy with this one. 

When I need to replace/update - I might just stick with iPad and smart keyboard. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Listen to the top expert. He repairs Apple products since years and he is very good at his job.

The following video is not new. He has hundreds of more videos if you have a specific product in mind.

100% true!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, circa02 said:

Delamination seems to  happen with cleaner fluid here, I remember buying some from the 20baht store and almost ate through my screen, I've since bought a 200baht one from a proper store but even that seems be too corrosive, get someone to bring over some from back home before cleaning up that sneeze mark 🤣..

Same for me on my 2017 MBP...and I recall just having lightly damped a microfibre cloth only with slight bit of water !! But the issue got  solved recently  as my screen went dead rand got it replaced (the screen)  (at a cost🥵). Guess the screen won't handle the slightest bit of humidity on wiping.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, timendres said:

I still have, and still use, my 2014 Intel MBP. almost 10 years on, three replaced keyboards (I am really tough on keyboards), and some delamination of the screen (unnoticeable when lit), and it is still a workhorse.

Same for mine, on the 2017 MBP...2 replacements of the 3 keyboards thank god under the warranty...but recently some of the letters are starring to rub off and I don't no why !¨?..Maybe should get me Ph tested on my fingers 😂. I do hope the next gen keyboards will be of better quality as I saw some chaps at the local Apple store with older MacBooks in fine condition.

Any experience with the Apple Stores in Bangkok ?

Edited by observer90210
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Same for me on my 2017 MBP...and I recall just having lightly damped a microfibre cloth only with slight bit of water !! But the issue got  solved recently  as my screen went dead rand got it replaced (the screen)  (at a cost🥵). Guess the screen won't handle the slightest bit of humidity on wiping.

That's very surprising.

On my HP laptops, I've been cleaning with a slightly damp (water) cloth right along, never an issue. Been doing for over 2 decades!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I use a Windows at Work (Dell and an HP)..  and use Apple MacBook at home.

I never have an issue with anything on the Mac....  Yet both windows machines crash regularly.

Having used both for years Mac just simply works better...   But, a Mac is no good if you are the type of person who digs into the nuts and bolts of operating system - then Linux is probably better (not that I know much about that OS).

You need to get the tech at work to look at it. I have used windows at work for years and never had a problem.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

You need to get the tech at work to look at it. I have used windows at work for years and never had a problem.

Erm..  thats someone what of an oversimplified misunderstanding... 

The companies I consult for have large IT departments, large multinationals... 

It is the IT techs that cause most of the issues IMO (under the guise of security in many situations).

The most common issue though is windows stalling or crashing when I'm trying to do too much....  Similar issues, different companies, different machines, different countries...   the common denominator is that Windows just isn't as stable or reliable as it should be.

• Love It 1

I feel like saying that the OsX is a gem, but here and there the hardware used by Apple could be improved (screen, keyboard). For Midi applications,. Vstis, confugurations of Audio interfaces all under Logic Pro, Mac is to this date, for a dummy user like myself, the best i.e. the simplest.

Obviously for the tech learned, Windows is a childs play, But the dummies who mainly  want to plug and start to play straightaway with no glitches and enjoy the application, Mac is a lifesaver.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

On 10/29/2023 at 7:01 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Listen to the top expert. He repairs Apple products since years and he is very good at his job.

He is an excellent repair technician, I agree, however he is far from an expert on iOS. His experience is very usual for someone who is expert in an OS and experiences the frustration of a different one doing things in a different way or not being able to do the thing you want to do. Becoming expert in an OS takes weeks and you will still find things that trip you up.

My experience of the android OS was comparable in frustration to his experience with iOS.

You seem to think that having skill in electronics and repair of a product has any relevance to the ability to use the product, they are completely different skill sets. Also the knowledge of one operating system doesn’t directly translate to another. That along with the criticisms just show that he doesn’t know that much about iOS as I have been able to do everything he complains about reasonably easily.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

He is an excellent repair technician, I agree, however he is far from an expert on iOS. His experience is very usual for someone who is expert in an OS and experiences the frustration of a different one doing things in a different way or not being able to do the thing you want to do. Becoming expert in an OS takes weeks and you will still find things that trip you up.

My experience of the android OS was comparable in frustration to his experience with iOS.

You seem to think that having skill in electronics and repair of a product has any relevance to the ability to use the product, they are completely different skill sets. Also the knowledge of one operating system doesn’t directly translate to another. That along with the criticisms just show that he doesn’t know that much about iOS as I have been able to do everything he complains about reasonably easily.

I never saw him talking about iOS. I watched countless of his videos where he repairs the electronics - which is obviously very different from using the device.

I selected one of his videos without watching it - because I guess most people are not really interesting in working on SMD parts under a microscope.

What Louis shows in many of his hardware related videos is how Apple rips of the customers by making it hard to impossible to repair a device. The error might be a chip which usually cost max a few dollars. But Apple makes sure nobody can buy the chips so that they can sell replacement parts for hundreds or thousands of dollars.

They also have some design flaws since years. And they do nothing about it.

I think it is interesting that from an electronic engineering point of view Apple is by far not as good as many people think it is.

• Haha 1

On 10/27/2023 at 3:36 PM, observer90210 said:

For the MacBook techies,  geeks, users or fans out there, what are your thoughts, concerns or rants on the current and forthcomming MacBook Pro announced for 2024 ?

Well, we will see in about 8 hours what new Macbooks Apple will announce. Looking forward to M3 although they probably will announce only new Pro models and not a new Air which I'm waiting for.

• Thumbs Up 2