How do you think Thai people REALLY feel about Farangs?

bob smith

How do you think Thai people REALLY feel about Farangs?  

144 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In the 70's, in Manhattan, the dollar was cheap and the town was awash with middle class European tourists. The resentment was strong;  it was from this time the term Euro-Trash was coined. Some benefitted from these new tourists, but there was the sense of getting priced out of "your" neighborhood.

Now I live in Nimman, and I am the equivalent of Euro-Trash to them. I represent a little bit of money for laundry and takeaway coffees, but mostly, I am a rent-raising, $5 mango shake-buying, net-negative.

They're outwardly nicer than I was due to various cultural norms. They're less educated and so less able to form opinions about gentrification etc. And they're more hierarchal so less inclined to even think much about it.

But even being the culturally sensitive, good guy that I am, if they could waive a magic wand and make me disappear, they would.

Edited by Prubangboy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Bs topic (which comes around all the time) not worthy of voting, or even commenting for that matter, but here I am. It is likely based on that of a tourist (well you are really) in a tourist area that cannot speak a lick of Thai, have no Thai friends, not interested in the culture etc etc. On that note, Thais think farang like this are numpties, but will generally keep it quiet to save your face because they have a bit of class. 

Thanks for your comment regardless.

And where are these classy Thais you speak of?

Is it the half naked homeless guy who just walked past me and almost peed on my shoes?

Edited by bob smith
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Bs topic (which comes around all the time) not worthy of voting, or even commenting for that matter, but here I am. It is likely based on that of a tourist (well you are really) in a tourist area that cannot speak a lick of Thai, have no Thai friends, not interested in the culture etc etc. On that note, Thais think farang like this are numpties, but will generally keep it quiet to save your face because they have a bit of class. 

Wow! you woke up in a grumpy mood today. lol

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Most Thais have almost nothing to do with farangs, they very rarely interact with Westerners, so they probably don't have any thoughts about us.

Other than the odd thoughts if watching their news at night on occasion and hearing about the occasional foreigner arrested on overstay and their passport that expired 6 years ago.............😉 

Edited by CANSIAM
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Thanks for your comment regardless.

And where are these classy Thais you speak of?

Is it the half naked homeless guy who just walked past me and almost peed on my shoes?

You are sitting on a sidewalk ?.

Beer in hand I assume.... at 7.30am.

I talked with a Thai lady about Farangs the other night. She based her opinion of them on how many baht they gave her every month. Interestingly, she had the same opinion about an older Thai man who was pursuing her.

But, when it came to young Thai men, she was proud to talk about the money she gave to them.

14 hours ago, DavisH said:

Who said that? And you think politicians represent the feelings of the people?

I'd say Thais are generally neutral...uless you live in a tourist area where they will try to get every baht out of you. I personaly know only one xenophobic Thai...suprisingly he studied overseas and fluent in English. Probably got teased for being so fat I guess when she was there. 

I think that a lot of Thais who went to school in the west come back xenophobic. Something to do with the bullying culture and being at the bottom of the pecking order I should imagine...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

I think that a lot of Thais who went to school in the west come back xenophobic. Something to do with the bullying culture and being at the bottom of the pecking order I should imagine...

One thai in particular who ended up this way springs to mind.

I best not mention his name though...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

Other than the odd thoughts if watching their news at night on occasion and hearing about the occasional foreigner arrested on overstay and their passport that expired 6 years ago.............😉 

Well if they judge all Farangs based on that, then they are as stupid as Farangs who judge all Thais on the actions and reactions of a few low class Thais.

15 hours ago, still kicking said:

You are wrong, where I live you cannot tell who a foreigner is at all we have migrants from all over the world and most of them are citizens now 

The racist ones in any country don't care if they are citizens. Look at the many comments: he/she is not really from that country, look at his/her name.

16 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

You would have liked Yinn. She was fun and entertaining. Many felt the same as she was the final Poster of the Year.

There are curmudgeon Thais who don't like farangs and curmudgeon farangs who don't like Thai's. Or think that Thai's don't like them. Or something. 

She actually set a record of sorts, joining the forum treading on a few toes and making a few friends on the way, then won poster of the year then promptly got sacked all well within 12 months, hard to beat that!

Ps Last i heard she just had a baby for what it 's worth!

• Like 1

Just now, Bundooman said:

I have lived here in Thailand for 18 years. I have never felt disliked, uncomfortable, unsafe, or any other negative vibe from Thai people.

I have been helped many times by Thai people from kindness, generosity, helpfulness, politeness and I think this post is offensive, deliberately aimed at degrading Thai people and I certainly have no wish to participate in the vulgar manner in which the choices are set out. 

I have noticed the OP on this forum on a number of occasions recently and find nothing pleasant contained in many of his other posts either.

If someone is so anti-Thai people, then why, for heaven's sake, or you still here in this delightful country?

Maybe try learning some Thai language, smiling at Thai people, dragging yourself of the bar stool, smarten yourself up, learn something about your host country and their customs and lay off of them.

Another reason why I try to avoid conversations with foreigners such as myself. This biased and vindictive survey is worthless.

Yours is a myopic view but it at least balances out the OP\s trolling post.

Biased and Flawed Poll. 

People are individuals.

Your selections are limited to group answers.

No one who responded could answer the question.

They would need to talk to many different Thais in many different regions.

How about anyone who has studied psychology (Behavioral), speaks fluent Thai and is foreigner or Thai's who speak good English.  Ask. What behaviors and qualities do Thai's appreciate from foreigners.

What behaviors and qualities do Thai's dislike or causes Conflict (state of disharmony or disagreements).

28 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Yours is a myopic view but it at least balances out the OP\s trolling post.

There's nothing 'myopic' about my views - I fully recognize and understand the nature of what goes on in many countries around the world, including the good and bad aspects of Thailand. Nevertheless, I prefer to live here, rather than anywhere else - having travelled extensively throughout my life and I like Thailand very much.

However, I see no reason why I should not speak up when I feel something is, in my opinion, unjustly promoted as 'click' bait.

• Like 1

I come from Perth and in my 20s America had a program called "Dial a Sailor" (multiple times/visits) a dating system for Yanks and Perth women.

https://tonyseed.wordpress.com/2007/06/22/liberty-visits-return-of-the-dial-a-sailor-program/

For 1,000s of years, to invade a place and have anonymous (for the woman) sex with the local women was an act of War,

yet 2,000 Yanks in uniform would regularly get off their ship, with 3 months pay in their pockets, horney and obviously Fcking "our" women.

We (men born in said location) did not like it and wanted to plan "bash a random Yank" nights. Plus all those caught by our Aussie sailors. Put it this way, every time a Yank ship left, a few were left behind coz in Perth hospitals.

It was a very very bad thing to do to an ALLY (enemy is fair game apparently) 

https://tonyseed.wordpress.com/2007/06/22/liberty-visits-return-of-the-dial-a-sailor-program/

It proved to us that Aus is just a lapdog of Uncle Sam and if you even threaten Yank bases, the CIA will remove you, as they did to Whitlam. Anyway, this was a long way to say I understand why this Farang (below) was attacked "unprovoced",

I'm pretty sure motive below was really coz the guys are thinking "fkucing fat stinking farangs, having sex with all our most beautiful women just coz they were born in a rich country". This is no doubt how many young men must feel, resentful, it would be totally un-natural and against evolution if they were happy about Yanks "breeding with their most beautiful women." and we can't compete financially etc

This attached below was my last girfriend (for 4yrs, I'm 63yo), I could see the envy in many mens/boys/lesbians eyes, as is natural I think.

I still resent the fact that not one Yank Admiral (from Westpoint or some <deleted> thing) did not think "hey, 2,000 of our horney soldiers will disembark in Perth, I wonder how us setting up a "dating site for Yank sailors and Perth girls will go down with the local men, our supposed Allies?" - Yank Admiral = "they are not from the Good ol USA, so (literally) screw them"

See above to explain to this attack below...

https://aseannow.com/topic/1310714-foreign-tourist-attacked-by-hostile-youngsters-in-pattaya/

Could contain:

• Thumbs Up 1

Stop trying to change youself so others like you.

On colonization...

Think like the British. They always carried who they were with them during colonization, and did not become the natives (typically). Of course, they were influenced by them, but they always had high tea and english breakfasts and remembered the civility (and morals) of the place wence they came. Now, sleeping with the natives did occur, but it was a grave offense and likely resulted in reprimand and return to the home country.

White socks, smart pressed shorts and clean hats ruled over the plant skirts and bare chests of the natives. No drinking with the natives, wearing their clothes, speaking in strange languages, etc.

Have you turned into a savage that another country values, or are you still what YOUR upbringing defines as a man?

Edited by JimTripper
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Shop mak said:
17 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Two things that were never reported as being said in the media.

The Twitter profile disappeared just hours after sharing disparaging comments attributed to the minister about "dirty and shabby farangs" bringing the Covid-19 virus to Thailand.

:shock1:

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/thai-health-minister-has-a-slash-at-dirty-farang

However, none of the farang are wearing masks This is the reason our country is being infected all around. We should be more careful of the farang than Asians.”

The Twitter comment was not verified by Twitter, as they would normally be, and no one ever confirmed that it was Anutin's post, neither did  it say that "farangs were the cause of Covid"

Your reference to The Thaiger's article did not confirm the quote that I was asking another poster to justify, either.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1