What’s more expensive in Thailand

Finspin

2 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Gillette Razors & shaving foam/gel are way cheaper in the UK so on my trips back I always pick up 5-6 cans (approx 90b each compared to >400b) & a couple of packs of blades (can’t recall how much they cost but again way cheaper than in Thailand). 

Perhaps the OP has a hairy face and has no need for such items 

As for shaving in Thailand.

Face soaped up with Dettol soap at around Baht 30 a bar

Face scrapped with Gillette Blue 3 Comfort at less than Baht 150.

IMG_1714.thumb.jpeg.43647d02c5081db0eabd128815e4c95b.jpeg

You couldn' heat the water for a months shaving in the UK for the equivalent of Baht 180.

5 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Where are all the nice two-bedroom places in central Bangkok for B30K a month? 

Plenty around On Nut, Phra Khanong, Bang Chak areas. 

Bangkok is huge, I guess it depends how much of Bangkok you consider the Central area to encompass. 

I'm in Udomsuk but I can be in Phrom Phong or Asoke using the BTS within 12-15 mins of walking out of my condo.   I wouldn't call where I am Central Bangkok but I'm only 15 mins away so I might as well be.

1 hour ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Plenty around On Nut, Phra Khanong, Bang Chak areas. 

Bangkok is huge, I guess it depends how much of Bangkok you consider the Central area to encompass. 

I'm in Udomsuk but I can be in Phrom Phong or Asoke using the BTS within 12-15 mins of walking out of my condo.   I wouldn't call where I am Central Bangkok but I'm only 15 mins away so I might as well be.

I would not consider Phra Khanong central Bangkok. 

That said, I doubt you could get a nice two bedroom on the Ekamai side of BTS Phra Khanong for B30K 

What's a two-bedroom in your building cost? 

18 hours ago, noobexpat said:

I brought 2 laptops from the UK when i moved here last year.

Which was good because - every laptop has thai script on the keys. That would be so annoying to use.

In general, all laptops sold in Thailand have English as the predominant script on the keys, the Thai script is barely noticeable.

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

In general, all laptops sold in Thailand have English as the predominant script on the keys, the Thai script is barely noticeable.

Yeh but the level of predominant varies by manufacturer. Eg. HP seem to use the smallest thai letters.

Also no £ only usd on number 4. Not great when you're in uk finance.

Have to do letter mapping or whatever its called.

Never expected so many replies and some great advice.

my previous trips to Pattaya were as a tourist intent on partying.

This upcoming trip is to see if I can resist temptation and live an expat.

if successful, I’ll return probably in July 24, my expectation is to never return to he UK. So I’ll have to learn to live with what Thailand has to offer.

My UK pensions are good and I can afford to Iive over here. However my previous trips have told me that Thailand is a lot more affordable.

I can get rid of my car and all the associated expenses.

I can get rid of my rented flat and associated expenses such as council tax. Yes there are lots of service costs, internet, utilities, etc but they are a lot lower. I guesstimate my pensions will double in value living in Thailand ( Jomtiem)

Again thank you for all your advice 

• Like 1

Everything imported from Europe, US, Oz, etc is about triple the price (import tariffs).

Last Benz was about 70% more here than Oz e.g. 160K Oz ... 270K here.

The bl@@dy price of Vegemite is about 4 times that of Oz ... OMG 🤣 a universal catastrophe !!!!!

Imported beer, wine, spirits same. 

Good quality bed linen is astronomically expensive!

I saw a German chefs knife at K Village Soi 24 Sukhumvit not long ago going for $500 and it wasn't a top brand either!!!!

As a not too long ago emigre I'd suggest you stock up on all sorts of stuff and take advantage of the one of free personal goods import for retirees and ship a half or whole container of your stuff.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

IMHO, the Thai script bugs a lot more on a lighted keyboard than a standard keyboard. 

I ordered my desktop from Amazon, had it delivered and think I saved a good bit over buying locally when comparing honestly. 

22 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Electronics are the cheapest in the US. No country can beat US prices, and when on sale, it is a steal. 

Some of my Sony camera kit is made in TH, and, rare, but I'm happy if & when I can get the USA price here.

Cheaper in USA ... That's just sad 😂

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Some of my Sony camera kit is made in TH, and, rare, but I'm happy if & when I can get the USA price here.

Cheaper in USA ... That's just sad 😂

I bought a Nikon F100 back in 2003. It was significantly cheaper it the US than in Thailand, so I bought it when visiting the US.

It was made in Thailand...

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Finspin said:

Thank you everyone,

My previous trips were never longer than 4 weeks, so brought enough to cover my basic needs. Toiletries will means a trip to Boots for shaving products and sunscreen, and maybe a new pair of trainers I’m size 12 Uk although I’m guessing most of the time I’ll be in sandals or flip flops.

Definitely bring good sunscreen with high SPF, good shoes that fit you, any nice clothes you think you will need , any meds and prescription from your doc, and you may as well get all the vaccinations while you’re there . Good health insurance is the number one necessity though . Check out the international companies while in UK and compare to Thailand before you decide to retire there. Expensive but necessary.

2 minutes ago, geisha said:

Definitely bring good sunscreen with high SPF, good shoes that fit you, any nice clothes you think you will need , any meds and prescription from your doc, and you may as well get all the vaccinations while you’re there . Good health insurance is the number one necessity though . Check out the international companies while in UK and compare to Thailand before you decide to retire there. Expensive but necessary.

PS if you read , bring a kindle with you as good books are expensive and not so easy to find your choice and Kindle books in English are great , from new arrivals to older , super cheap prices or even free. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, geisha said:

PS if you read , bring a kindle with you as good books are expensive and not so easy to find your choice and Kindle books in English are great , from new arrivals to older , super cheap prices or even free. 

we met up with my sister and her husband from the US m in Greece this summer for vacation. That is exactly what I had her bring me, My old kindle battery was having issues charging, and I wanted the new 10 inch scribe, Here in Thailand it would be double the price, even if I could find it. And forget getting the books you want in Hard copy, in English.  

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I bought a Nikon F100 back in 2003. It was significantly cheaper it the US than in Thailand, so I bought it when visiting the US.

It was made in Thailand...

Same with SeaGate drives (now part of WD), and the newer, better spec'd drives were cheaper in the USA, at the time.  Really strange.

Back in 2000, I used to buy lump crabmeat (shelled & picked through), excellent & inexpensive in USA, and yep, from TH.  When I got here in 2000/2001, I couldn't find it, as good or as cheap.   Better & cheaper than anything out of the Gulf of Mexico, or the drying up quantities out of Chesapeake Bay.

21 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

How much is sex these days ?

gone thru the roof .the old hands report its so bad they are no longer inclined to pay the air fares for fat girls with    tattos and go elsewhere for reumpy pumpy

4 hours ago, noobexpat said:

Also no £ only usd on number 4. Not great when you're in uk finance.

My Thai-bought laptop has got "£" on "3".

My Thai brought lap-top has a # where the 3 is and a $ where the 4 is... but its so simple to do the letter mapping... so that £ appears on <shift 3>.....  

Edited by richard_smith237

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:
5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

IMHO, the Thai script bugs a lot more on a lighted keyboard than a standard keyboard.

The Thai script on the backlit keys on my Asus is not noticeable in comparison to the English lettering.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

My Thai brought lap-top has a # where the 3 is and a $ where the 4 is... but its so simple to do the letter mapping... so that £ appears on <shift 3>.....  

I know its easy to move the existing characters to different keys, but if the £ doesn't exist, it obviously can't be moved, it has to be imported from a list of characters. 

I suspect you have to set the whole keyboard to UK and then move around all the out of place characters to match the keys! ...??

The Thai script on the backlit keys on my Asus is not noticeable in comparison to the English lettering.

I love the backlit keyboard on my Asus, but I got it in the US so it is US English, but the keyboard itself is great, much better than my Acer.