Not confortable with giving bank account number

If OP has doubts, plainly use the settings feature of your Thai bank account and put 0 on the different variations of payments/transfers from your account. Of course, a bit of a burden as each time you would need to use, you will have to reset the numbers to let the payment go through.

If it's a foreign bank account, once you have given all the details and got your visa, just change the account number with your bank and mention it's for safety reasons.

Edited by observer90210
  • Confused 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, frankstraube said:

The visa i am looking for is the new LTR visa for "wealthy retirees"

Wouldn't you give your full European account number (IBAN) to anyone who wants to transfer money into your account?

I don't think the BOI would accept an obfuscated account number. I don't think you have a legitimate reason to withhold your account number from them, as it's pretty normal to give it to 3rd parties. 

22 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I guess OP is not from USA where our account number is on every check we have cashed for the last century (and many still do use checks).  Those checks often also have not only bank location/routing number and your account number but also your full name and home address. 

image.jpeg.6170991e2684c7bb13406b1567fcb92f.jpeg

And we would then put these checks with all our info into an envelope and stick in a unguarded mailbox, many times a month.

Life was much simpler back then. .

Edited by Trippy
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, frankstraube said:

Thanks for all your advices. I have decided not to obscure any part of the bank account number, to avoid my visa possibly being denied. And truth to be said, i have sent my bank account number many times already without any problem. I was just being overly cautious regarding thai civil servants in general, whose honesty is sometimes questionable.

Don’t worry about Thai civil servants dishonesty. They’ll scam you using less sophisticated methodology aka brown envelopes. If you’ve been targeted you’ll know. They’ll keep knocking back your application until you give up!

Given that Immigration has, in the past, used copies submitted by foreigners to copy (on the blank side) various forms, instructions, etc.

And they've allowed their systems to be hacked multiple times, including the posting of foreigners' locations on Google Maps (with country flags).

And they've sold our names and telephone numbers to dodgy visa service companies.

I'd say you're just going to have to take the risk. Fudging a form could be much more risky.

16 hours ago, frankstraube said:

The visa i am looking for is the new LTR visa for "wealthy retirees"

You don't need a bank account to apply for an LTR visa for "wealthy retirees" if you have health insurance.  Only if you don't have health insurance do you have to show a bank deposit for being self insured.  When I applied for LTR visa there was never any mention of a bank account (bc I have health insurance).  I no longer am required to keep 800K baht in a Thai bank for a retirement visa ("O" or "OA ").

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Shop mak said:

You will not get any Visa. Period.

Who are you paranoid about will abuse your account number? Embassy staff abroad, or Immigration here in Thailand?

I always redact my bank statement and got an SETV evisa from the London embassy without any problems.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

You can’t “hack” someone’s bank account just by giving someone your account number. Account numbers aren’t sensitive information like a PAN on a credit card. You can’t do anything with it except to send someone money.

Example here:  https://www.thepattayaorphanage.org/or/?page_id=44

they publish their account number online so people can donate.

Could contain:

4 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

I always redact my bank statement and got an SETV evisa from the London embassy without any problems.

Yes me to, redacted four digits, most correspondence on email normally say account ending ****5555.

The important thing is your name and address on the statement and the amount, why would they need the whole number, as you are not doing a financial transaction with them.

• Agree 1

I don't have health insurance so i need to show proof of money in a bank account.

As you were saying, i thought also about doctoring (or is it "redacting" in english ?) the account number, easily done with an editing software. But the number is not random and has to follow a precise pattern that can be verified if they decide to do so...Doctoring the account statement, even in a small way, could mean for them that the whole document is a fake, and visa being denied.

Yep. My thinking too...doctoring the number is a bad idea. Anyway i could still be honest and simply blur it, and they could ask for it later if they need it. But after having given it some more thought, i will simply give them the statements with the number, as everybody does without problem. No worth the risk the visa being denied or delayed for that small matter.

Edited by frankstraube