Does riding Pattaya baht buses add a touch of flair to your retirement adventure? (As do Cebu City jeepneys)

Jingthing

I have ridden Cebu City jeepneys and I have ridden Pattaya baht buses.

The Cebu City jeepneys did add a "touch of flair" but maybe I'm jaded. I'm not feeling that on the Pattaya baht buses.

But just checking to see if others do find that riding Pattaya baht buses add a touch of flair to your retirement adventure.

Bonus happy brownie points for those that also ridden Cebu City jeepneys and can flair - compare.

Perhaps the part of me that could feel the flare was killed when a baht bus driver pulled me roughly by my ears.

Or perhaps it's garden variety familiarity breeds contempt or at least indifference.

Peso for your thoughts?

Riding a jeepney through the city’s bustling streets allows retirees to immerse themselves in the local way of life and adds a touch of flair to their retirement adventure.

6 Affordable Places To Retire Abroad Without a Car | GOBankingRates

The fare is 10 baht. Never speak to the drivers! 

Jingthing

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Never thought of baht bus as anything other than much needed convenient very cheap transport

Yeah I get that but transport can be more.

I remember feeling that there was a lot of entertainment value riding the San Francisco MUNI bus system.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I'm not retired and I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "flair" in this case but, yea, hanging off the back of a baht bus certainly gave me a talking point when I got back from my first holiday here.

Edited by JayClay
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Olmate said:

No flair there at all nowadays, bad driving almost every trip lately, bumps at speed, sudden  stops, almost rear ended by a large coach today.Scowls aplenty and  nasty Russians complete the experience.

Unlucky.

Sit back and enjoy the scenery.🙃🙃

22 minutes ago, Keep Right said:

Actually, a PI Trike is much more fun, especially if you go on a Trike Patrol.

Could contain:

You missed the point.

The flair factor is about encounters with locals in their environment. 

Somehow the locals in Cebu City (etc.) are more engaging.

• Confused 2

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You missed the point.

The flair factor is about encounters with locals in their environment. 

Somehow the locals in Cebu City (etc.) are more engaging.

True, there's very little hi-so / low-so stuff in Phils. Everybody talks to everybody, lots of silly comments and fun.  

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Perhaps the difference might be related to the fact that in the Philippines English is much more widely spoken and generally at a higher level than Thailand too. 

This whole thread it sounds like you miss PI and love it so much more than Thailand. Can't understand why people visit somewhere unique and then wish it was more like somewhere else 

Edited by Pattaya57

I find Pattaya area baht busses more fun than Angeles City jeepneys.  An interesting environment to throw strangers together who have been drinking all night.

There is an Angeles City 7/11 with seating for 150 and music thumping that is one of the best 7/11s in the world.  Not too many foreigners though. Also on that list is the Pratumnak Beach 7/11. The Pratumnak 7/11 is more scenic but the hong nam is for employees only.  Many Russians.

46 minutes ago, shortstop2 said:

I find Pattaya area baht busses more fun than Angeles City jeepneys.  An interesting environment to throw strangers together who have been drinking all night.

There is an Angeles City 7/11 with seating for 150 and music thumping that is one of the best 7/11s in the world.  Not too many foreigners though. Also on that list is the Pratumnak Beach 7/11. The Pratumnak 7/11 is more scenic but the hong nam is for employees only.  Many Russians.

It would have been better to build a small toilet block, rather than the annex of the shop at the one in Pratumnak, plus they need more tables and chairs now high season is starting

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Perhaps the part of me that could feel the flare was killed when a baht bus driver pulled me roughly by my ears

Sounds like a "boy meets boy" story.  It also happens in the back of the songtaews with the fellas who parade around in dresses.

I've never taken a jeepney because I can't stand being crammed into anything.  Only ride on the outside of the songtaew as well. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

Sounds like a "boy meets boy" story.  It also happens in the back of the songtaews with the fellas who parade around in dresses.

I've never taken a jeepney because I can't stand being crammed into anything.  Only ride on the outside of the songtaew as well. 

I don't even talk to baht bus drivers much less flirt with them!

• Haha 2