Helmetless motorcycle rides in Thailand puts lives at risk

snoop1130

1 hour ago, alien365 said:

I assume the child would require new helmets as they grow whereas the adult will wear theirs for years. It would be good to see a 'pass it on' type scheme in this case to help with the financial burden of helmets for those who really do have very little. Could their schools offer/buy them back from the parents or do a swap as children grow? 

58 minutes ago, sirineou said:

That is a n excellent idea"" 

have a deferent age appropriate basic helmets, as a kid out grow it, return it , put it back to the age group cabbie, for someone else to take, and et another one that fits. 

Helmets have a definite lifespan, after which the shell material has deteriorated so that it's no longer safe. Straps get frayed and weak, fastening mechanisms break. While what's suggested here IS a good idea, it could lead to old, badly maintained helmets being passed among kids whose parents don't recognise a lid that 'beyond its sell-by date' and next-to-useless.

Picture of my helmet and a helmet given away free with my wife's new bike. I won't let her, or anyone else, use it - she has a far better quality one for daily use. It can be deformed using the pressure of just one finger on each side and it 'creaks' under even that slight pressure. There is no protection for chin and temples, two areas that are far more vulnerable than the crown of the head in an accident. The strap is flimsy. I see LOTS of these being worn on the streets, strap undone. My lid, by contrast, can't be appreciably deformed by even strong pressure on the shell and it's SHARP 5* rated. I don't suggest that everyone should buy a highly-rated helmet but that free thing is about as much use as the plastic bags I see worn by motorcycle riders to keep rain off their hair. 

Could contain:

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, prakhonchai nick said:

fine everyone not wearing a helmet 10,000bt (whether  1,2 3 or 4 on the bike) AND confiscate the bike for minimum 1 month.

The police, when they act, can only do what the law allows and ridiculous suggestions that over a month's salary for some Thais could be imposed along with the theft of the bike is bizarre.  Why not suggest B20,000 fines and confiscation for a year or two?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The police, when they act, can only do what the law allows and ridiculous suggestions that over a month's salary for some Thais could be imposed along with the theft of the bike is bizarre.  Why not suggest B20,000 fines and confiscation for a year or two?

Nobody, absolutely nobody, need EVER pay a fine or lose the use of their vehicle IF they simply obey the rules.  The big fine and confiscation is there just as a threat and needs to be used against the total idiots!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, alien365 said:

I assume the child would require new helmets as they grow whereas the adult will wear theirs for years. It would be good to see a 'pass it on' type scheme in this case to help with the financial burden of helmets for those who really do have very little. Could their schools offer/buy them back from the parents or do a swap as children grow? 

Very sensible scheme if it could overcome the sorry "second hand" stigma issue.

16 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

When the keystone cops here get serious and start booking people, day in, day out, then and then only then will you see lives saved.

The above said, they would have to keep it up, but they're too busy getting tea money from schools to direct traffic during the morning and afternoon.

So it remains the typical Thai attitude of "up to you".

I know I've said this before, but why not get Food Panda, Grab ect to takeover. Their riders always seem to wear helmets. Either that or ask them how they do it. I suspect it's something to do with making the financial cost of not wearing a helmet, 'No helmet no job' a worthwhile incentive. That's instead of the police business model of allowing you to break the law so long as you pay a fee, and pitching that fee so people are prepared to pay it and continue doing business.

Nobody, absolutely nobody, need EVER pay a fine or lose the use of their vehicle IF they simply obey the rules.  The big fine and confiscation is there just as a threat and needs to be used against the total idiots!

"The big fine and confiscation is there just as a threat..."

No, it isn't there.

3 minutes ago, kimamey said:

I know I've said this before, but why not get Food Panda, Grab ect to takeover. Their riders always seem to wear helmets. Either that or ask them how they do it. I suspect it's something to do with making the financial cost of not wearing a helmet, 'No helmet no job' a worthwhile incentive. That's instead of the police business model of allowing you to break the law so long as you pay a fee, and pitching that fee so people are prepared to pay it and continue doing business.

That's called attempting to re-educate the uneducated, good luck with that after the 7 year growth factor.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The fines do need to be carefully set, and you also need follow up measures for those rich enough not to be dissuaded by the fine. The points system recently announced would fit that so long as there aren't any loopholes for those with influence of course. Other countries manage it, as they do with driving tests on the road rather than a car park with cones, so there's no reason not to do it here.

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, it isn't there.

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, it isn't there.

It is sometimes at selected times such as New Year

Most people don't like to follow road rules and laws, but they also don't like paying fines, or losing their ride. Basically, enforcement is the answer, and with as many cops as are found in the USA (per 100,000) people, they should have more than enough police to enforce the rules, instead they sit in aircon booths and pretty much do nothing all day. In fact, I see them breaking the rules and laws themselves, which is the wrong message to send to the public. Thailand is in desperate need of a real police force, other Asian nations have been successful at road safety, why not Thailand? If they want to become a world-class destination for travel, safety for travelling families is a must, it's time to finally do something about it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

When the keystone cops here get serious and start booking people, day in, day out, then and then only then will you see lives saved.

The above said, they would have to keep it up, but they're too busy getting tea money from schools to direct traffic during the morning and afternoon.

So it remains the typical Thai attitude of "up to you".

That is the problem.

This is not something you are going to convince the public to do it is something that they feel is an inconvenience because it messes up their hair or does not look cool

The solution is not to fine them but like they did in Canada to simply impound the bike until you showed up with a helmet.

OH yeah, the fine was the impound fee.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

The thing that gives me palpitations is seeing car/truck drivers "tailgating" or passing those family scooters with (literally) inches to spare, apparently unable or unwilling to wait a few seconds for an opportunity to overtake safely.

Poor driving skill is one thing, but blatant disregard for human life is unforgivable and should be punished severely.

Sounds like those concrete truck drivers Nasty individuals 

14 hours ago, hondoelsinore said:

I say let em go, and hopefully there will be a quick exodus out of the gene pool. 

The trouble with that is that a lot of it is down to education. Grandmother and/or Grandfather  rides a bike without a helmet, and possibly without a licence and therefore insurance. Mother and father also drive without a helmet but slightly more likely to have a licence. They all take the kids on the bike in varying numbers, thereby teaching them that helmets don't matter. Unless they go on a main road they won't see police checks as there isn't enough room on the back roads for all the cones, police, table for taking fines and checking phone for hours, tent to shield from sun and enough pickups to transport it all.

When they get to 10 years old, or sooner they want to ride the bike and since their parents and grandparents couldn't be bothered with laws and safety there's no reason they should be either. That's what they've been taught.

Even if the parents are responsible adults. Yes I know, but I'm not talking about that many. Even in that case the child will still want to ride a motorbike at 10 because all their friends are, which puts the parents under pressure because it's not just some of their friends, it's how things are done here. If the police took it seriously they could help, but they don't. Part of that is probably because pocketing fines is part of the funding plan rather than using taxes. So it goes right up to the government.

I remember a few years ago after Songkran or New Year the police in one area paid for some monks to walk along a road that had seen a lot of accidents and deaths, whilst chanting to ward off evil spirits. The guy in charge did admit that poor driving might have been an issue as well. 

Before I came here I think there was a transport minister who said "Thais don't need helmets as their skulls are thicker". Maybe someone can tell me if that's true. Anyway, since Thai heads don't seem to be any bigger than anyone else, a thicker skull can only mean less space inside.

I nearly forgot the policeman in Mahasarakham who wouldn't fine helmetless children riding to school as they wouldn't be able to buy sweets.

• Like 1

I took a video recently of a festival that is currently occurring. At this festival you can rent a small scooter for your youngster to learn how not to wear a helmet. Teaching them at such a young age that a helmet is not required.

(This is a snapshot of that video)

Could contain:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kimamey said:

The trouble with that is that a lot of it is down to education. Grandmother and/or Grandfather  rides a bike without a helmet, and possibly without a licence and therefore insurance. Mother and father also drive without a helmet but slightly more likely to have a licence. They all take the kids on the bike in varying numbers, thereby teaching them that helmets don't matter. Unless they go on a main road they won't see police checks as there isn't enough room on the back roads for all the cones, police, table for taking fines and checking phone for hours, tent to shield from sun and enough pickups to transport it all.

When they get to 10 years old, or sooner they want to ride the bike and since their parents and grandparents couldn't be bothered with laws and safety there's no reason they should be either. That's what they've been taught.

Even if the parents are responsible adults. Yes I know, but I'm not talking about that many. Even in that case the child will still want to ride a motorbike at 10 because all their friends are, which puts the parents under pressure because it's not just some of their friends, it's how things are done here. If the police took it seriously they could help, but they don't. Part of that is probably because pocketing fines is part of the funding plan rather than using taxes. So it goes right up to the government.

I remember a few years ago after Songkran or New Year the police in one area paid for some monks to walk along a road that had seen a lot of accidents and deaths, whilst chanting to ward off evil spirits. The guy in charge did admit that poor driving might have been an issue as well. 

Before I came here I think there was a transport minister who said "Thais don't need helmets as their skulls are thicker". Maybe someone can tell me if that's true. Anyway, since Thai heads don't seem to be any bigger than anyone else, a thicker skull can only mean less space inside.

I nearly forgot the policeman in Mahasarakham who wouldn't fine helmetless children riding to school as they wouldn't be able to buy sweets.

I lost my second wife in a motorcycle accident. She was wearing a helmet, boots and leathers and still succumbed to her injuries. I still cannot understand the Westerners infatuation with locals wearing helmets here. People are going to do what they want, and doing the right thing doesn't always save a life. 

I just completed a 5-day, 2,000 km trip from Bkk to Chiang Mai and back. Other than large trucks using all the road on the 106 to Li from Thoen, and hogging the right-hand lane up to Mae Sot at 5km/h, the most dangerous road user I had to deal with almost every other local on a bike. They meander in the left lane and then cross without looking or thinking. I enjoy riding, but boy I don't enjoy sharing the road with Finos on the way to or from the market with hot food for hungry mouths!