Managing forum toxicity and negativity

george

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

If you are talking about Pattaya addicts, sadly most of the mods there were bell ends, power of the mod got the better of them

Sounds like the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree travel forum on which I used to post on the Thailand sub forum. Got sold, the new mods went full on PC and suspending anyone having a bit of fun. Most of the experienced posters left, forum became pathetic and finally got put out of it's misery post covid.

10 hours ago, bignok said:

Really? They say f this a lot. Totally allowed. Strange forum.

TA is the worst forum for moderation. A poster who has been there for 10 years can abuse people. Anyone new can't say anything.

I wouldn't know. I walked away and never looked back.

I haven't had time to read the thread OP nor the posts, except for one post that mentioned drivel.

Regarding "drivel", what is drivel?

Do you honestly think that all of Trump's tweets are NOT drivel?

So if the president of the US posts drivel, why do you expect the average person not to?

Also, it's much more dangerous when people cling to every word Trump says, as opposed to a clown on AN, where everyone knows it's drivel and the person is a nobody that no one listens to anyway. 

A bit of goofballing around is ok as most people are too serious anyway. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

I haven't had time to read the thread OP nor the posts, except for one post that mentioned drivel.

Regarding "drivel", what is drivel?

Do you honestly think that all of Trump's tweets are NOT drivel?

So if the president of the US posts drivel, why do you expect the average person not to?

Also, it's much more dangerous when people cling to every word Trump says, as opposed to a clown on AN, where everyone knows it's drivel and the person is a nobody that no one listens to anyway. 

A bit of goofballing around is ok as most people are too serious anyway. 

Do stop going on about Trump , there are other people in the World apart from him 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The frequency of these discussions means that people value this venue. I do too.

To talk to someone about their life here or get practical advice is great, partic for free. I enjoy doing the same. 

If someone wants to fight all of the time, they're some version of not right in the head and I give 'em a miss. I just parma-nixed someone today. If I had the technical acumen to block him.....I still wouldn't. It's all part of the unique mix.

If people want to post about their elbow, I have no problem with that.

If I have a passable elbow joke to toss out, I will.

If not, I'll sticker on a few emoji's supporting other elbow-mockers and then go back to Slate. 

I can't think of a fourth rule for Internet behavior. I mean, duh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

This whole thing about putting people on ignore, encouraging others to do it or threatening to put people on ignore is all snowflake stuff. There are no kids here, this is an adult forum, if you don't like the posts from a member then just ignore them for that particular topic. Personally I find those using the ignore in world news topics try to have it as a free pass so they don't get challenged to any misinformation they spew. That's ok, they can still be responded to whether they have you on ignore or not.

What I've also found is that those who can be utterly disruptive for whatever reason in one topic, can add lots of value to the forum in other topics. If you have them on ignore you miss their best stuff.

I only have one dotard on my ignore list. You can still view their replies with a simple click. I occasionally do so with that member and am consistently reminded why dotard is still dotarding.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I only have one dotard on my ignore list. You can still view their replies with a simple click. I occasionally do so with that member and am consistently reminded why dotard is still dotarding.

Well in this case you're probably right

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Trump, Biden, The Pope, CNN, Stephen Hawking.

Warren Buffett. Invest in stocks and you'll be a billionaire like me. That's trolling. 

can't think of anyone else at the moment.

Oh, I forgot. Yngwie Malmsteen. 

I don't listen to or read anything from the people above

2 hours ago, observer90210 said:

I far more enjoy  reading Bob Smith then somebody else thinking he is giving lecture  in geopolitics in a Harvard Amphitheater ?

I don't.  But I think that's beside the point.  Neither one is about Asia/Thailand, usually, which is what I would prefer to read about.

Edited by QuantumQuandry
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

Yes, it's like Facebook. They can't see or comment on any of your posts. 

Yes they've rightly got lots of measures at facebook for the protection of children, young people, those at risk and minorities. Not sure its needed on a Thai expat forum though............

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

This whole thing about putting people on ignore, encouraging others to do it or threatening to put people on ignore is all snowflake stuff. There are no kids here, this is an adult forum, if you don't like the posts from a member then just ignore them for that particular topic. Personally I find those using the ignore in world news topics try to have it as a free pass so they don't get challenged to any misinformation they spew. That's ok, they can still be responded to whether they have you on ignore or not.

What I've also found is that those who can be utterly disruptive for whatever reason in one topic, can add lots of value to the forum in other topics. If you have them on ignore you miss their best stuff.

Ignoring blocks out gibberish from stalkers. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1