Managing forum toxicity and negativity

george

1 hour ago, george said:

True. How should Mods handle these members? Be tough or lenient in moderating?

That are all forums major headache.

We have all noticed the new 'moderation form', that are more uniform. So even a strict mod now use copy paste message as warning, and that is much better.

While we have Admins and Mods attention

(big thank you for that),

Can the forum include Tags?

When a member create a OP, can we also add multiple tags relevant to the topic?

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Similar but personal - warning pm that basically blocks all further action on website until acknowledged. Poster is not suspended, banned or anything, but can't ignore the warning.

Already have and is used.

Ok, thanks. Didn't run into it this time around (yet).

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Please dont read if Yinn posts offend. 

I have posted about Yinn a couple of times. There are only a few posts on Yinn overall so hard to see how it could be a big deal.

To me Yinn, whoever the person was, was a perfect example of what made this forum interesting and fun. Debate without getting personal or bickering.  Discussing big topics with humour and a bit of drama but not taking things too seriously.  Taking, for example, the topic of mongering to task. Providing an alternative narrative and having a fairly fierce debate, without personal individual aspersions, or attempting to stop people discussing it in different ways. Turned it away from being an insider's club. The people spoke and made that person Poster of the Year. 

It surprised me when the powers that be didn't make that person's life easier on this site even if the person broke a few rules. Surely added posts to the site. I don't know the back story I suppose.

See you're boring everyone about it again, start a thread called Yinn and you obsessives can comment all you want, without it touching many threads 

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Heavy handed moderation is no good, less said the better, like Facebook, barely see a moderator make a comment 

Perhap here we should have less moderation and a 'block' feature. Like you said, it works well on Facebook, someone stalks me, they are blocked - never to be seen again.

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

See you're boring everyone about it again, start a thread called Yinn and you obsessives can comment all you , without it touching many threads 

Boring you maybe - fine - the point if you missed it was it was used as an example of how there could be robust discussion without much toxicity or negativity. You brought her up. 

1 hour ago, novacova said:

There should be a forum section named something like “Intense Argument Free for All” where the threads that descend into incendiary abyss can be moved there, with the ability to to ignore that particular forum completely so none of it will show up anywhere. This way the habitual angsters can vent their aggression on each other, out of sight-out of mind for the individuals that have no interest in it.

Pistols  At Dawn !

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Heavy handed moderation is no good, less said the better, like Facebook, barely see a moderator make a comment 

It wasn't a general thing, but reserved for topic known to be 'troublesome', of if topics developed into such.

The point was to avoid constant moderator presence on topic via endless public warnings.

15 minutes ago, Thorgal said:

A certain healthy favoritism is always acceptable and can be seen as a good marker in all sorts of relationships. But I think that TV moderation was going too far to mutate/transform this favoritism to offensive and defensive cronyism.

It started to develop in such way that argumentations of posters were unconditionally backed by some of the moderation. Posts could be removed or modified and posters could be suspended for multiple times. This was part of the informal ruling on TV.

I also understood that the high quantity of members at a certain time also allowed some of TV moderators to exaggerate in these informal ruling that made (many) posters quit TV.

Please check out online debates or complaints available of many who left TV and you will see that overall TV critics is not per se on the content that was available, but more on the treatment or injustice that happened for those who highlight the TV cronyism.

Being a neutral moderator is very difficult and, in some cases, even impossible. Many of us are also not the most polite, elegant or eloquent posters on TV/AN. But they’re also needed to boost or generate more “click-traffic”.

Problem that I have with AN is that public bullying is at a much higher frequency than TV. This bullying includes (and not limited to) : targeting alone or in group of an individual, gaslighting, harassment, name calling, racism, stalking, threatening, framing to get suspended, etc. Just watch the last 10 pages of “Israel is at War” topic to have an impression. Again, this works both ways: it generates a lot of “click-traffic” but some members can/should not be able to carry these personal attacks for a long time.

So my top 10 of reasons why people leave (and some stay) :

-          Cronyism: some posters are over-protected by moderation

-          Cronyism: some posters feel injustice and misunderstood

-          Cronyism: in some cases: POTY election

-          Unfair suspension and/or banning

-          Limited (political) international news

-          Bullying in person or in group by other posters

-          Low variety in posters with same interests or taste: for instance : no much (expat) women

-          Bad/unclear transition from TV to AN

-          There’s no sign of quality management and customer satisfaction process

-          Little or no criticism to moderation is allowed

You're a victim. Sure. Just posting along and no idea why posters get upset with your 'contributions'.

I get it this is a feedback topic, but kinda funny seeing some people hell bent on derailing topics, or ignoring forum rules go on about 'law and order'.

22 minutes ago, Thorgal said:

-          There’s no sign of quality management and customer satisfaction process

I'm sure that could be arranged if you were to decide becoming a customer of AN, i.e. pay them money for the service.

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Also I wouldn't give a moderator a job who wanted to be a moderator, you know the types you can get

I never asked to be one, was always offered and pressured into it. I didn't like it and sucked at it. 

The admin gigs were more my thing.

Being a moderator ain't that easy, being a good one is a taller order.

All 'n all, the crowd here ain't so bad - similar websites more dedicated to gaming, geopolitics or sports are way worse.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tgw said:

I'm sure that could be arranged if you were to decide becoming a customer of AN, i.e. pay them money for the service.

1. Correct, but that's rather a model of the 80's that has been replaced with total quality management.

Your suppliers, workers, all third parties have to be implemented in your total quality plan to create quality assurance.

And yes, I did a core well hidden Ishikawa to be honest before posting my top 10.

2. Customer satisfaction is not re-evaluating the concept of used emoji's.

Edited by Thorgal