Noodle shocker: Young man stir-fries his emotions after being billed 300 baht in Don Mueang

snoop1130

On this forum, some people write BKK (IATA code for Suvarnabhumi airport) but mean the city of Bangkok.

Here we have someone who reads Don Mueang, the name of one of the 50 districts of Bangkok, and thinks it is Don Mueang airport (IATA code DMK)

Can happen easily.

Edited by Puccini
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The restaurant justified the cost by stating they used three packets of instant noodles, each costing 12 baht.

So 36 baht of instant noodles, an egg or two, and some spices. So roughly 240 baht net profit on a 300 baht dish.

Guess I'm gonna open a noodle shop

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Puccini said:

Good idea. If you do open a noodle shop, how much, icluding VAT, will you charge for the dish depicted in the news article?

I thought I made that clear already.

That dish cost, according to the noodle shop owner, 36 baht in noodles, and add another 24 baht for an egg and some spices.

Selling that at 300 baht should buy me a nice Benz by the end of the first year

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BenStark said:

That dish cost, according to the noodle shop owner, 36 baht in noodles, and add another 24 baht for an egg and some spices.

I see your estimate of the cost of the inredients of the dish: noodles 36 Baht, egg and some spices 24 Baht, total 60 Baht. However, I see no mention of what price you put on your menu if you opened a restaurant of your own, and I am genuinely interested in what that price would be.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

It is a very high price for a plate of noddles even for a proper restaurant, it must have been an error on the part of the seller, as there's no explanations why it should cost that much..

and price seemingly not displayed... hence the young mans shock !!

Edited by Ralf001

6 hours ago, BenStark said:

I'm afraid you forgot rent, utilities, staff and, eventually, brown envelopes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Puccini said:

Wo said it was Mama noodles. I see no brand name mentioned in the news article.

Yes you are right. Bulk packets of noodles are available at any market and per packet are cheaper than Mama packets as there are no flavouring saches or packaging. Having said this as with many things Thais use a brand name for a geniric noun i.e. mama is generally used for noodles no matter what brand.

Edited by dinsdale

3 hours ago, vangrop said:

one of the most let's say ignorant posts and replies i have ever seen here. First everybody knows that in any airports woldwide everything is overpriced. Second Don Muang is an airport. Third you have a menu were you can check the prices. So snoop make a life and don't bother us with stupid posts. thanks in advace

not in the airport, read the whole article

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1