Change from a private health insurance to government coverage?

OneMoreFarang

Currently I am still in a private health insurance from my previous employer.

Likely soon I won't be part of that group policy anymore. I will look for another private health insurance.

One problem is that I have diabetes and I take tablets twice a day. It is likely that any new private health insurance will exclude that from my new coverage.

I see three options:

a) I continue to go to the same private hospital like now and buy the medicine in that hospital like now. Except now the insurance pays, and in the future I have to pay myself.

b) I continue to go to the same private hospital like now and I ask the doctor to write a prescription so that I can buy the medicine outside of the hospital, hopefully cheaper. Is it considerably cheaper in a pharmacy outside the hospital?

c) I am working now for a Thai company with Thai government social security. As far as I know I can visit a designated hospital and I guess then a doctor in that hospital would check my health and prescribe some medicine. Maybe the same medicine like I take now, maybe some other medicine. How does that work in real life? 

To give you a rough idea about the cost: Currently I visit the diabetes doctor about every two months. I get/buy medicine in the hospital for about 15,000B for two months and the doctors fee, blood testing, etc. cost about 2000B per visit.

If necessary, I will continue like this and pay it from my own pocket. But obviously it would be nice if I don't have to pay it all by myself. 

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

b) I continue to go to the same private hospital like now and I ask the doctor to write a prescription so that I can buy the medicine outside of the hospital, hopefully cheaper. Is it considerably cheaper in a pharmacy outside the hospital?

There's a pretty good chance you won't need a prescription.  I found my heart meds (after a bypass) without a script and at a small fraction of the hospital price in local pharmacies.  Some have a better selection and prices than others, so best to get local suggestions which is best/cheapest.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Continue social security payments and visit your registered hospital.

Long ago it was possible to continue the Thai social security payments and continue to get medical coverage after stopping work.  Not expensive and a great backup if still available.

• Like 1

My suggestion would be to try option c first. If you don't like the quality of care, then try option b.

Meds from an independent pharmacy are usually significantly cheaper than from a private hospital's pharmacy.  I don't think any oral diabetes meds require a prescription, but it may be a good idea to get the doctor to write down the name and exact strength of each med.

3 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Long ago it was possible to continue the Thai social security payments and continue to get medical coverage after stopping work.  Not expensive and a great backup if still available.

Still available but has to be elected within 6 months of stopping work. Some upcountry offices do not understand the process well and give wrong info on it (telling people not possible etc), if this happens call the head office.

@OneMoreFarang

If you pay out of pocket, get your meds at a pharmacy,  most do not require a prescription (and Thailand does not really have a prescription system as such). The cost difference is huge compared to  private hospitals as these substantially mark up medications. Not usually the case with government hospitals though.

You can certainly get tests, treatment and medications  at your nominated SS hospital, all free.  The main glitch would come of you were on a new medication not currently covered by SS.

The other consideration is the quality of your nominated SS hospital as all care must be gotten there (or at a hospital they refer you to).  You do have a choice of hospital, and you can change hospitals at certain times of the year, and it is worth putting some thought into this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

That's what I plan to do when I retire - if this ever happens.

Now I work and have a work permit and that is part of the deal - as far as I know for everybody working in a Thai company.

But I have no idea how good they pay.

My gf, who is also officially employed, needed a lot done on her teeth. The government insurance covered maybe 10% of the cost.

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Now I work and have a work permit and that is part of the deal - as far as I know for everybody working in a Thai company.

My gf, who is also officially employed, needed a lot done on her teeth. The government insurance covered maybe 10% of the cost.

Dental is different, little is covered by way of dental.

Medical care including medications is all free, exception being if you require a drug not on the government essential medicines list (usually these are very new drugs not yet available in generic).

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I spent 3 months in hospital... 2 of which in ICU.

My registered SS Hospital is a private one.

all bills covered by SS except food and private ward room after ICU.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2023 at 6:27 PM, Sheryl said:

Dental is different, little is covered by way of dental.

Medical care including medications is all free, exception being if you require a drug not on the government essential medicines list (usually these are very new drugs not yet available in generic).

I got 3500 back when I got false teeth.