Chinese Police to Patrol Tourist Hotspots in Thailand to Boost Tourist Confidence, Says Thai Prime Minister

webfact

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

We have had Western police for many many years, as the Tourist Police Volunteers and the Foreign Police Assistants. They have pretty limited authority  and have to have regular police with them and no power of arrest. Probably find them sitting around playing with their phones. 

Not a chance.

Unlike the RTP officers, the Chinese jack boots will have a very definite agenda and be held responsible for fulfilling it or risk reprisal on their families in China. They represent Chinese influence abroad and are expected to push the CCP agenda relentlessly.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

That is an outrageous statement from the Chinese Embassy in Bangkok. This is merely another step to make Thailand a puppet state of China.

The Thai Prime Minister, needs to send a clear message to not interfere, in anyway, in Thailand's democracy and freedom of speech, control events or other control any values. Thai foreign Affairs minister needs to summon the Ambassador of China and tell them to stop interfering with Thai media and values, else they will become persona non grata in Thailand.

Thailand maybe agreeing to permit Chinese spies/police/intelligence operatives to operate in Thailand. Of course, this means wherever in Thailand there is one Chinese person, Chinese security agencies will be able to operate legally

Edited by Banana7
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, ezzra said:

Chinese police to patrol in Thailand? who's stupid idea was it? and what pray tell, would be the powers and authority of those foreigner police in case of troubles? the same as the Thai police? will they concern with Chinese tourist only or all tourists?...

Clearly their job is surveillance of Chinese nationals and reporting back to the mother ship. It’s a monumentally bad idea to give up your sovereignty like this. What is wrong with the xenophobic leaders of Thailand?  Wonder if this decision was taken before or after the Chinese threatened Thailand on the matter of Taiwan media coverage?

• Like 1

Many years ago I was part of the UN Police Mission in Haiti.  It was major a "Charlie Foxtrot". We the UN police had no authority to enforce any laws, detain anyone or even make an arrest.  Most of the time the Haitian Police ignored us.  We were supposed to just advise the local police. I do not see an issue if the Chinese Police are in LOS to act as advisors and to deal strictly with Chinese citizens (this might accelerate the move to get "bad guys out").  This has the potential for a major international incident if a Chinese Police officer has a physical confrontation with a foreign visitor.  Of course it is always peaceful in LOS????

• Haha 1

Wow, I for one feel much safer and secure knowing that the bully arm of the CCP is on the streets of Thailand. The same police that disappear people on a regular basis, that beat people in the streets and leave them for dead. So much safer.

Edited by OldBird
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Many years ago I was part of the UN Police Mission in Haiti.  It was major a "Charlie Foxtrot". We the UN police had no authority to enforce any laws, detain anyone or even make an arrest.  Most of the time the Haitian Police ignored us.  We were supposed to just advise the local police. I do not see an issue if the Chinese Police are in LOS to act as advisors and to deal strictly with Chinese citizens (this might accelerate the move to get "bad guys out").  This has the potential for a major international incident if a Chinese Police officer has a physical confrontation with a foreign visitor.  Of course it is always peaceful in LOS????

You don't understand the Chinese agenda. They will come to control, and spy on anyone they wish, and especially people who are critical of the CCP. They also have pickup squads, where they will detain, with concocted reasons, to deport anyone, especially Chinese citizens, who are critical of CCP. Sometimes they will even get the person back to China illegally.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ezzra said:

Chinese police to patrol in Thailand? who's stupid idea was it? and what pray tell, would be the powers and authority of those foreigner police in case of troubles? the same as the Thai police? will they concern with Chinese tourist only or all tourists?...

The Chinese set up shops in major cities in USA. They were there to spy on their own vacationing nationals and drag the ones back to China that were dissidents in the minds of the Chinese govt. The FBI discovered this and did a sweep thru out, rounded up these Chinese Police and sent them back to China. I can only suspect the real intent being here is the same. 

• Thanks 1

A few years ago the Chinese tried doing this in the U.S., to the best of my knowledge the U.S. Gov stopped it. Below are a few comments from others I feel is so true about Thai's and their government. 

"I wish there was a place to send these Thai politicians to grow a spine or grow a pair. No wonder self respect is one trait Thais aren’t aware of."

"Nothing like demonstrating to the whole world that you are so inept, so pathetic that you give up your sovereignty to allow a foreign power to come in and look after public safety.

Dont expect an average person there to realize how appalling this really is!"

11 hours ago, jacko45k said:

We have had Western police for many many years, as the Tourist Police Volunteers and the Foreign Police Assistants. They have pretty limited authority  and have to have regular police with them and no power of arrest. Probably find them sitting around playing with their phones. 

The tourist police are there to translate when problems arise .  They aren’t from one particular country, German, English speaking countries, Scandinavian. There are already Chinese speaking Thais in the police force. This is an obvious way of worming Chinese Police into Thailand .

i really hope the Thai newspapers speak up for themselves concerning Taiwan , and this new alarming news. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Banana7 said:

You don't understand the Chinese agenda. They will come to control, and spy on anyone they wish, and especially people who are critical of the CCP. They also have pickup squads, where they will detain, with concocted reasons, to deport anyone, especially Chinese citizens, who are critical of CCP. Sometimes they will even get the person back to China illegally.

I do understand the Chinese.  I am just saying foreign police in any sovereign or allegedly soveerig country is usually a bad idea.  I wonder what an RTP officer would feel like having a "Chinese Shadow"? 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Back to Chailand.

Its funny how they say that they never been colonized, Colonized countries showed resistance but when you are ready to lay down for pretty much everyone, colonization is a waste of resources. 

What's next, handing over two north provinces to CCP so that can manage them better than Thailand??

• Thanks 1

UPDATE:

Thai police dismiss TAT proposal to have Chinese policemen patrol tourist cities

A senior police officer ruled out the possibility of Chinese police patrolling key tourist cities in Thailand to boost the confidence of Chinese travellers.

The officer, who asked not to be named, told The Nation on Monday that the proposal raised by Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) governor Thapanee Kiatphaibool could not be implemented due to the restrictions of Thai security law.

“I believe this project cannot be done because Thai law does not permit foreign officials to join the operations of Thai police. It will clearly break the law,” the source added.

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/tourism/40032813

• Thumbs Up 1

The action of the new Thai Prime Minister is unjustifiable because it means dejure involvement of a foreign jurisdiction within a sovereign State which is the Kingdom of Thailand.....A Greek saying says: Don't scratch your head on the chopper's glitchas........

Edited by metisdead
Over-sized emoji removed.

1 hour ago, metisdead said:

UPDATE:

Thai police dismiss TAT proposal to have Chinese policemen patrol tourist cities

A senior police officer ruled out the possibility of Chinese police patrolling key tourist cities in Thailand to boost the confidence of Chinese travellers.

The officer, who asked not to be named, told The Nation on Monday that the proposal raised by Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) governor Thapanee Kiatphaibool could not be implemented due to the restrictions of Thai security law.

“I believe this project cannot be done because Thai law does not permit foreign officials to join the operations of Thai police. It will clearly break the law,” the source added.

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/tourism/40032813

Did the new PM ever sit down with members of his party and government and tell them "no information is given to the press without my authorization"? It sounds like he is either a complete idiot, or he has no ability to control his people, not exactly leadership material. If I were PM I would be asking for Governor Thapanee Kiatphaibool to resign after something this stupid.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

Did the new PM ever sit down with members of his party and government and tell them "no information is given to the press without my authorization"? It sounds like he is either a complete idiot, or he has no ability to control his people, not exactly leadership material. If I were PM I would be asking for Governor Thapanee Kiatphaibool to resign after something this stupid.

Totally agree. The fact that Thapanee even thought he had the power to allow something like this is ridiculous. He has one of the least important portfolios on the cabinet. He basically greenlighted China to spy on its nationals while on vacation in Thailand.