Curiosity - is under consideration ever refused?

Normally not. However, it might be, as they are given time to look into if the applicant has made any serious offenses or been braking the law. Moreover they can look at the persons reason to stay, and if that is correct with collected facts. So, yes it can be denied.

The main reason that the a marriage extension is sent to the regional HQ is because they and only they can carry out some extra checks to ensure that the marriage is a genuine one. There have been a lot of faux marriages over the years, mainly marriages of convenience to enable the male partner to stay in country.

Those of us in genuine relationships have nothing to be concerned about.

Edited by Moonlover

As mentioned in previous posts, it is very rare that an Application 'under consideration' is refused.

The fact alone that the local Imm Office accepted the application is already proof that you met all the requirements. 

So the only reasons for such very rare refusal are:

- When the Divisional Headquarter that has to approve the application, finds a reason for not granting such approval; 

- When the house-visit goes sideways and the Imm Officer conducting that check gives a negative advice.

Note: The latter case happened recently to a female friend of mine. She was not home when the visit took place, and her Thai husband had a bad hang-over or was drunk when the female Imm Officer arrived.

When checking the status of her application on the local Immigration website, my female friend saw that it was refused, and when she went with her Thai husband to the Imm Office to enquire, the Imm Officer said 'drunk'.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BritTim said:

It is extremely rare. In cases where there is a problem, you will usually be contacted by phone, and given the opportunity to fix the defect in your application.

However, the senior official at Division headquarters has discretion. There can be cases where this official is incensed by something in your Immigration history (a vendetta against a particular agent, or a previous volunteer visa issued to a non volunteer, for instance) and decides to retaliate for reasons unrelated to the normal conditions for receiving the extension.

Thank you Brit Tim, this was my experience also. First time at CW Division 1 I was asked to return for the "result" which is a bit misleading... lost in translation.  But as you had mentioned on my post that if the docs are accepted it's 99% going to be approved and a stamp given. I was told at the C1 desk to put my phone number on the application in the event they did want to contact me for more information etc.

I wonder if the extension for the initial Non-O for purpose of retirement will also require "under consideration" and a return for the result? Or does one get the extension stamp day of the application at CW division 1? I will be making an appointment for desk "L"

Edited by likerdup1

24 minutes ago, likerdup1 said:

I wonder if the extension for the initial Non-O for purpose of retirement will also require "under consideration" and a return for the result? Or does one get the extension stamp day of the application at CW division 1? I will be making an appointment for desk "L"

Retirement extensions are given straight away if accepted.

No under consideration.

Edited by Lite Beer
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

2 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

Retirement extensions are given straight away if accepted.

No under consideration.

The application for the initial Non O visa at Immigration is taken under consideration. Extensions on the basis of retirement are approved straight away at the local immigration office.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I think I remember reading on this site some time ago that an applicant dived into his 400,000 and took it below the level required before the extension had been given. Submitting the application doesn't mean anyone can then 'break the rules', before it has been considered and given. Most of the time they don't check but if they do then they would have grounds to refuse.