How to Bring Your Own whiskey bottle to Thai music pubs?

henrik2000

Hello,

is it acceptable if I bring my own whisky bottle to a Thai live music pub and carry the bottle back out, if I order from the pub about three bottles of soda and a dinner like Tom Yam Kung and maybe a few snacks?

Is the calories intake with whiskey soda (mixed by Thai waiter) lower than with two bottles of Singha beer?

Are there differences in BYO habits between different cities or pubs? (Some of my destinations are Pattaya, Prachuap Khi’, Ayutthaya, Uttaradit.)

Thanks for your experiences!

==Important questions above, below only backgrounds==

On TH holidays, I go to Thai-oriented music pubs a lot, places like Taiwan Daeng etc (in Pattaya, Sin Lapin Isan and Kon Lah Fun).  Instead of drinking beer as usual, I would like to switch to the Thai system of bringing my own Whisky bottle, and then buy soda from the house - and good food also (always with late dinner) (always soda, not coke). 

I don't go to live music pubs every night, and I go to various pubs in one city - so it doesn't make sense to deposit the whiskey bottle at the pub: I need to bring it in and take it home on the same night.

I am mostly alone and I don't need much Whiskey; actually I even like plain soda with a dash of lemon juice. The Whiskey may slightly relax/elate me, but I don't like/need to be seriously affected.

Is it even reasonable to plan bringing my own whiskey bottle to these Thai-oriented pubs as a single punter? What is to consider? (I think single customers are sometimes seen as dubious, either because of supposed bad karma or because they bring less profit than a packed table (I will sit also for dinner on a stool at a bar, if there is a bar at all that offers  stage view).

Should I buy the first full bottle directly at the pub and will this gain me sympathies from staff?

I wouldn't need more than 3-4 soda bottles per night and  I could do without ice, if the soda itself is cool. I could also accept ice if Thai waiters need it for the Whiskey pouring / mixing ritual. Is a single customer like that acceptable?

• Confused 4

8 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

If you are allowed to do it, they have a corkage fee of a couple of hundred baht.

Agree, some bars will let you bring your own bottle but they will add 1-2 hundred baht to the check bin.

And some bars will want you to buy their own bottles, best to ask first.

23 hours ago, henrik2000 said:

is it acceptable if I bring my own whisky bottle to a Thai live music pub and carry the bottle back out, if I order from the pub about three bottles of soda and a dinner like Tom Yam Kung and maybe a few snacks?

If the pub allow a cork-charge, it's allowed; otherwise not. Cork-charges I've seen could be from 100 baht to several hundred baht.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Stocky said:

It's quite common for people to bring their own wines & spirits to music bars in Hat Yai, corkage fee is usually Bht200.

Thanks, I see Thai gangs storming live music pubs with whiskey bottle in hand all the time, and they just order the mixers and at least some snacks. But I hadn't imagined they pay a corkage fee; that's interesting info. If I go there alone,  a corkage fee of two hundred THB wouldn't be exactly economical.

One reason why I ask here in the forum and not straight in the pub, the pub is super noisy and staff don't speak much English and I may not speak enough Thai to fully understand the explanation, and my language understanding suffers reciproce proportionally with noise and distraction levels (while Thais shine more). And sometimes, when they are totally used to something since times of olde, and not used to having to explain it to a total outsider, the explanation maybe a tad wanting.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, henrik2000 said:

Thanks, I see Thai gangs storming live music pubs with whiskey bottle in hand all the time, and they just order the mixers and at least some snacks. 

But you're not inspecting their bill are you, staff no doubt simply note they brought their own and add any corkage to the bill. These things depend on the bar, the more expensive the higher the corkage, I'd be surprised if places don't charge because obviously bringing your own booze deprives them of income.

On 11/14/2023 at 4:24 PM, henrik2000 said:

: I need to bring it in and take it home on the same night

In my experience you buy the bottle, get 3 bottles of soda, ice for around 900-1200 baht for the cheap stuff.

I've been able to take it home if there was any left.  They'll cap it and put it in a bag for you. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stocky said:

But you're not inspecting their bill are you

Oh I do, especially if I can read it. I'm talking about Thai-oriented venues, Tawan Daeng-like, outside tourist/expat ghettos, where any customer studies the bill for 10 minutes. So do I.

Inspired by this thread I asked in my current favourite live music joint - semi-open-air, multilevel all dark wood. The waitress made it very clear there is NO corkage fee if I buy a few mixers. She seemed to find my question weird.

Edited by henrik2000
  • Confused 1

Would you recommend a certain Thai whiskey or warn against certain whiskeys? I have no experience with iced whiskey soda whatsoever, only with small shots of mild neat whiskey of international brands at home in the west. It would be nice (and economical) to get a Thai brand if agreeable, and not just a worldwide tipple.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, henrik2000 said:

Would you recommend a certain Thai whiskey or warn against certain whiskeys? I have no experience with iced whiskey soda whatsoever, only with small shots of mild neat whiskey of international brands at home in the west. It would be nice (and economical) to get a Thai brand if agreeable, and not just a worldwide tipple.

As I understand it, "Regency" is about the best local spirit, and it is supposed to be something of a brandy.

If you like scotch, I think Red Label is fairly priced and a few cheaper "brand" gins around as well. 

If you're going add ice and soda and whatnot, I think buying premium booze is silly, unless you want to impress. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, henrik2000 said:

Oh I do, especially if I can read it.

So you go up and inspect other people's bill in the bars? 555.

Oh I do, especially if I can read it. I'm talking about Thai-oriented venues, Tawan Daeng-like, outside tourist/expat ghettos, where any customer studies the bill for 10 minutes. So do I.

Inspired by this thread I asked in my current favourite songs for life joint - semi-open-air, multilevel all dark wood. The waitress made it very clear there is NO corkage fee if I buy a few mixers. She seemed to find my question weird