More Thai youth at risk of diabetes due to their eating habits

snoop1130

thequint_2023-11_9ff74014-9d93-496d-a488-9804058ad5ee_world_diabetes_day_concept_design_vector_jpg_s_1024x1024_w_is_k_20_c_jCAHoudEmCXTypats_DbkqyKrAbMfZY.jpg

The number of Thais suffering from diabetes is forecast to increase to about 5.3 million in 2040,  from this year’s 4.8 million, with the possibility of an increasing number of cases among children and adolescents, according to forecasts by the International Diabetes Federation and the Diabetes Association of Thailand.

On World Diabetes Day today, Piyada Prasertsom, manager of the Network of Thai Children against Sugar, said that the most worrisome aspect of diabetes in Thailand is that more Thai youngsters are suffering from it, due to their eating habits.

Although most diabetes cases are found in middle-aged people, she noted that Type 2 diabetes has been detected in Thai children, aged just 10 or 11, due to eating too much sugar.

Caption: Image: Google

Full story: Thai PBS 2023-11-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

I used to eat the old retro sweets.  Proper wagon wheels.  Kit kats in the foil.  Quality Street at Christmas.  But I can't eat this modern crap.  The quality has gone down.  Can't even tell the flavors anymore.  Just a slimey bar of chemicals.

Weren’t ‘Wagon Wheels’ a bit artificial too. Not real chocolate and a an marshmallow concoction inside. Not exactly a natural product. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

Plenty of sugar in McDonald's "food"… among other things. In any case, I have seen overweight Thai people in villages where there is no fast food outlet in a 100 km radius. But there is a lady who drives by every day selling coffee. I ordered an iced tea once and watched her make it. 1, 2, 3, 4 tablespoons of white sugar…

I have also noticed that people have gained weight since Covid, no doubt because they are eating less protein and more carbohydrates as it is cheaper, which leads to weight gain. Ultimately, sugar is always the culprit… as well as additives which disrupt the metabolism.

As i said previously which you ignored, it's the fatty sugary junk food from places like 7 Eleven. I eat loads of sugar and slim and athletic, it's not the enemy, until they and you realise what the real enemy is you'll remain overweight

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

It's carbohydrates in all their forms, too many carbs of all kinds - and everything they eat here is overloaded with carbs - for example - rice and noodles - pure carbs.

Carbs of course are just another form of sugar once they get digested. Eating rice is almost as effective as drinking liquid glucose which is the highest form of concentrated carbohydrate (read sugar) of them all. So anything high in starch (rice, potato, noodles, etc) and of course sugar itself are all carbohydrates and when combined together as they often are = this is the issue.

Carbs are fine, i eat high carb low fat, slim and athletic, how about you? most falangs are overweight with their poor diet, some go keto which they regret after 7+ years

• Like 1

Correct and healthy eating habits start at home, not in schools, and nod not controlled by the government, it will be very hard to wane kids of bad eating habits but not impossible, but it is a long, long road to get adults and young ones to comply after many years of neglect..

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Carbs are fine, i eat high carb low fat, slim and athletic, how about you? most falangs are overweight with their poor diet, some go keto which they regret after 7+ years

Why are you atheletic? Most of us are not athletes.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

eat a good high carb low fat diet and exercise, simple when you do the right things

I was more interested in your athleticism, do you train extensively to maintain an athletic physique?

Because if you do then your high energy diet is going to be perfect for you

3 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I was more interested in your athleticism, do you train extensively to maintain an athletic physique?

Because if you do then your high energy diet is going to be perfect for you

Cycle 400km a week, but the slim thing is the diet, plenty of overweight cyclists about

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

As i said previously which you ignored, it's the fatty sugary junk food from places like 7 Eleven. I eat loads of sugar and slim and athletic, it's not the enemy, until they and you realise what the real enemy is you'll remain overweight

You clearly have it all sussed out, including my BMI. I am humbled by your clairvoyance.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, indyo said:

I guess that almost all Thai food has sugar

When I first came to Thailand 23 years ago rarely ever did you see a fat person. Then aspirational food like 'Muck' Donald's (my pseudonym) started off. Over the years the taste for sugar increased and of course thr new, younger chefs started putting more sugar in food too.

Once about 5 years ago in a nice Ferrang/Thai restaurant my mate and I watched a Pumpui Thai family come in and the young lad orders spaghetti  bolognese. I was thinking  good. Until it arrived on the table and he ladles a heaped spoon of sugar over the top ffs!! T.I.T.

• Sad 1

I'm not surprised. All the food here is laced with high amounts of salt and sugar.

And US fast food chains have taken over. KFC, Krispy Kreme, McDonalds, Burger King, you name it.

You never saw fat Thai people a couple of decades ago. Now there are many, including many fat kids.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Garbage, it's junk food, too much of it, fat sugar combo is what's doing it. While people keep blaming sugar the problem will only get worse.

They don't want to stop people eating at kfc, McDonald's, 7 Eleven etc, easier to blame sugar

The problem is actually the refined sugar.

Of course, foods containing carbohydrates become glucose or blood sugar when digested, but these are no way as detrimental to health as the refined sugar.

First, what you refer to as junk food, someone can eat some from time to time.

But refined sugar, people in Thailand cannot eat only from time to time. Refined sugar is in all food, that they eat 3 times a day in their meals, and then added sweet snacks.

Refined sugar is the poison here.

I had not bought refined sugar for some 40 years or so. No refined sugar in my house.

The food that I cooked then did not contain refined sugar.

When I started to have some health issues, I looked for possible causes. Sugar. Then I started looking for sources of this sugar. Only to find out that all food here, yes all, contain added sugar. Even the bottled sauces from the mini-marts contain typically some 20% of added refined sugar.

So I stopped completely to eat Thai food, that I now consider as a slow acting poison.  When I discussed this with a fellow from my country also, I remember him saying: 'I thought that I was eating healthy'. Vegetables, chicken, rice, all sound good doesn't it?

Here are two photos of refined sugar delivered to the Super Cheap mini-mart close by. Taken about 10 days apart. They do not even take the time to take the sugar inside the store...

People are slowly poisoning themselves here. So no more Thai food for me.

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Thanks 2

I have  Thai acquaintance  who was in charge of Supply Chain for a well known and respected Thai fruit juice company. The company claims "sugar free" or "no added sugar" on its packaging. She was buying in 20 tonnes of sugar per month!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

No it's not, i eat a lot of it along with other carbs

Well, you start off with a sophism, a fallacy. Which typically can be identified when one can reply: 'It is not because this or that, that a conclusion could be right'.

In this instance, "it is not because YOU eat a lot of sugars and carbs, and has yet to develop health problems, that these products are then not dangerous to health."

So just give it a try. It is not that complicated after all.

Yes, one can eat a lot of slow acting poisons, before health can be affected. You will find the reasoning behind that in the word 'SLOW' .

From Google: It is common knowledge that white-sugar is a high risk-factor for heart ailments, weight-gain, type-2 diabetes and cancer. Excess white-sugar consumption leads to frequent blood sugar spikes that stress the body's cells and increase the risk for type-2 diabetes.

Why is refined sugar poisonous?

Over time, this can lead to a greater accumulation of fat, which may turn into fatty liver disease, a contributor to diabetes, which raises your risk for heart disease. Consuming too much added sugar can raise blood pressure and increase chronic inflammation, both of which are pathological pathways to heart disease.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

Well, you start off with a sophism, a fallacy. Which typically can be identified when one can reply: 'It is not because this or that, that a conclusion could be right'.

In this instance, "it is not because YOU eat a lot of sugars and carbs, and has yet to develop health problems, that these products are then not dangerous to health."

So just give it a try. It is not that complicated after all.

Yes, one can eat a lot of slow acting poisons, before health can be affected. You will find the reasoning behind that in the word 'SLOW' .

From Google: It is common knowledge that white-sugar is a high risk-factor for heart ailments, weight-gain, type-2 diabetes and cancer. Excess white-sugar consumption leads to frequent blood sugar spikes that stress the body's cells and increase the risk for type-2 diabetes.

Why is refined sugar poisonous?

Over time, this can lead to a greater accumulation of fat, which may turn into fatty liver disease, a contributor to diabetes, which raises your risk for heart disease. Consuming too much added sugar can raise blood pressure and increase chronic inflammation, both of which are pathological pathways to heart disease.

are you overweight?