Nine killed and more than ten others injured in truck accident in Si Sa Ket

george

21 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Really last I heard it is just a 3 month ban for DUI and only if your poor.

They execute drug 'dealers' or lock them away for life - but perhaps you are right and the laws are only harsh there.  I have no idea how strong Thai laws are regarding criminal negligence causing death.  Probably you are right, and they are not harsh at all - and as you say if he is rich or a relative of someone rich and powerful, he will get a slap on the wrist. Which in facts makes my point - until somone is severely punished for it, this sort of thing will continue to happen.

image.jpeg

Nine people were killed and more than ten others were injured when a pickup truck rammed into a large group of people attending a Kathin celebration in Phrai Bueng district of Thailand’s north-eastern province of Si Sa Ket on Saturday night.

Emergency teams from Phrai Bueng district and other nearby districts rushed to the scene, to take the dead and injured to the district hospital.

Over 20 motorcycles were also damaged.

The pickup driver, who suffered only minor injuries, was arrested at the scene and given a blood-alcohol test, which indicated a blood-alcohol level of 0.24%, which is well in excess of the legal limit, according to police.

Several witnesses told the police that they saw the pickup truck appear to engage in a street race with another car before the accident took place.

Full story: Thai PBS 2023-11-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2

Tragic Accident at Temple in Sisaket : Eight Dead, Six Injured as Drunk Pickup Truck Driver Crashes into Crowd at Outdoor Movie Theater
By Kittisak Phalaharn

image.jpeg

Sisaket—At 11:00 PM, on November 25th, 2023, Phrai Bueng police officers received an accident report of a pickup truck that crashed into people at the Samrongphlan temple, Phrai Bueng, Sisaket. There were eight casualties and six injuries reported.

The Phrai Bueng police officers and Sisaket rescue teams were dispatched to the accident scene and found a flipped-over pickup truck in severe condition. Mr. Kiattisak, a 37-year-old pickup truck driver, suffered only a minor injury. His last name was not released by Phrai Bueng police.

Nearby, the rescue teams found seven dead bodies and multiple other injured people before being transferred to a local hospital. However, one more person was pronounced dead shortly after.

According to the report from Phrai Bueng police officers, Mr. Somnuek, an eye witness, reportedly said that he saw an incoming pickup truck speeding with loud noises like a racing car. Suddenly, the pickup truck crashed into the crowds of people standing at the roadside after an outdoor movie showing for a funeral had ended.

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2023-11-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

They execute drug 'dealers' or lock them away for life -

No they do not that in Thailand, rarely a drug dealer will get life, in fact they can now carry 2 class A drugs, Yabba,  with no conviction, and they tend to try and re-hab addicts now. 

• Like 1

Drunk driver plows into crowd killing eight in Si Sa Ket
by Nattapong Westwood

image.jpeg

Picture courtesy of KhaoSod

An unfortunate accident occurred last night in which a Toyota pickup truck, driven by a drunk driver, crashed into a group of people who had gathered to watch a film outside Wat Samrong Phlun temple in Si Sa Ket’s Phrai Bueng district.

The incident claimed eight lives and left six others injured, some seriously.

European Film Awards 2023: And the nominees are...

The pickup truck, registered in Udon Thani, was driven by 37 year old Kiatsak, from Nong Khai’s Pho Tak district. He had been drinking at a Kathin religious ceremony before the accident. The collision caused extensive damage, with the truck flipping over in the middle of the road, damaging nine motorcycles parked nearby, and breaching the temple’s wall.

On arrival at the scene, the police found a chaotic scene with multiple casualties. Emergency services quickly transferred the injured to Phrai Bueng Hospital. Among the deceased were Phatphon Wongnim, 14 year old Suteera Pleumjai, Phadermphong Chankhana, Yuen Jantarawichit, Thongchai Chantiman, and three girls who were not identified.

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-11-26

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, roo860 said:

Correct I was talking to 3 female sales assistants last week, in the store Channel 32 was reporting an accident in which  one year old kid was killed, they were smiling and laughing about it, that's just their way.

When I first moved to Thailand I thought people were making fun of me when they laughed at odd things or when I looked confused or was having a hard time. For example, if I could not read a menu or something like that. I eventually realized it was laughing out of nervousness or because they did not know how to respond, help or whatever.

You need to keep watching them and the behavior after the laugh. It could also be malicious if they start gossiping, etc. It's a real subtle difference.

It's off putting if your from someplace like the USA. It was also a problem in some of the Vietnam war interrogation situations where captives were beaten or killed for laughing, but it was really just fear or what have you.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, brianthainess said:

No they do not that in Thailand, rarely a drug dealer will get life, in fact they can now carry 2 class A drugs, Yabba,  with no conviction, and they tend to try and re-hab addicts now. 

This is a good thing as the jails were overflowing with people serving long stretches for drug use and dealing. It's a more enlightened approach to try and rehabilitate. Furthermore, drug dealing has no relevance to this affair, where perfectly legal alcohol is the cause of death. 

21 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

According to Thai news this idiot blew 240 on the breathalyzer enough to be comatosed. hang him on the spot and set an example 🤔

8 counts of manslaughter and 5 counts of attempted manslaughter.. put the bast#rd away for ever.

6 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

A couple of years ago my home (Thai) was broken into.

• No fingerprints were taken
  • The intruders left blood behind - no sample taken
  • CCTV photos were given to the police
  • Many stolen items were not on the police report
  • No interest shown when I went to the station to ask about progress

So, its not surprising that your wife doesn't know what they do.  I have visited the officer in charge of 'investigating' the break in at my home 3 times, each time he has been sitting at his desk eating.  I didn't bother making an appointment to see him, I knew he would be in - not out catching criminals. The officer 'looking after' my case was given a very clear photo of the intruder, a person who local people were sure they knew but couldn't quite place. I formed the opinion (you'd understand if I showed you the photo) that this guy was a career criminal and would be known to the police - I doubt the photo was ever compared to their records. When I gave the photo of the intruder to the officer concerned he said "good, we will catch him now" - I haven't heard anything.

The above is a minor issue when it comes to people being killed in Road Traffic Accidents but it does illustrate the apparent lack of interest in actually doing anything at all. You are far more likely to see a Thai policeman in a restaurant than 'out on the beat'.

I'm sure you've heard this before but on several occasions, during conversations with Thai people, I've been told that the police actually pay to get their jobs.  It would appear then that far from being the people who uphold the law, they actually start their careers by breaking it and that the whole thing is about how much money they can make rather than enforcing the law.

Fast forward to a week or so before Songkran next year.......statements will start coming out of the governmemt about measures being put in place to stop the carnage that always happens on Thai roads at that time. The week after the carnage has happened, new rules will be announced aimed at stopping it happening again. Very few new rules will actually become law and those that are will be ignored by both Thai drivers and the police - just as the existing ones are.

And on it goes, day after day, year after year, we will still be here reading these news stories.

Wouldn't it be nice to see the Thai police out doing what they need to do to prevent so many accidents, rather than only seeing them attending the scene of an accident?

What do they do?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

So, its not surprising that your wife doesn't know what they do.  I have visited the officer in charge of 'investigating' the break in at my home 3 times, each time he has been sitting at his desk eating.  I didn't bother making an appointment to see him, I knew he would be in - not out catching criminals. The officer 'looking after' my case was given a very clear photo of the intruder, a person who local people were sure they knew but couldn't quite place. I formed the opinion (you'd understand if I showed you the photo) that this guy was a career criminal and would be known to the police - I doubt the photo was ever compared to their records. When I gave the photo of the intruder to the officer concerned he said "good, we will catch him now" - I haven't heard anything.

The above is a minor issue when it comes to people being killed in Road Traffic Accidents but it does illustrate the apparent lack of interest in actually doing anything at all. You are far more likely to see a Thai policeman in a restaurant than 'out on the beat'.

I'm sure you've heard this before but on several occasions, during conversations with Thai people, I've been told that the police actually pay to get their jobs.  It would appear then that far from being the people who uphold the law, they actually start their careers by breaking it and that the whole thing is about how much money they can make rather than enforcing the law.

Fast forward to a week or so before Songkran next year.......statements will start coming out of the governmemt about measures being put in place to stop the carnage that always happens on Thai roads at that time. The week after the carnage has happened, new rules will be announced aimed at stopping it happening again. Very few new rules will actually become law and those that are will be ignored by both Thai drivers and the police - just as the existing ones are.

And on it goes, day after day, year after year, we will still be here reading these news stories.

Wouldn't it be nice to see the Thai police out doing what they need to do to prevent so many accidents, rather than only seeing them attending the scene of an accident?

You are dead right and correct in each and every point you described above...

38 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

What do they do?

There are certain protocols to be observed if one expects the police to perform, especially in matters such as house breaking, when a foreigner is the victim , however  with the right" incentive" or should I say "percentage" they can be very efficient 

Anybody who expects the police here to behave in the same way as the police back home will  end up disappointed...( at best) 

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Have you paid some incentive. Otherwise no chance

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You're assuming that they think ahead to the consequences. Many would not. That is why they drive as they do, especially motorcyclists. They don't give a seconds thought to the consequences of what they're doing. It's also why there are so many domestic murders in Thailand. They don't think for a moment what might happen next.

They don't think about what could happen next because generally nothing of consequence happens next. The are devoid of spatial thinking here.

It'll drag on for while then fall in the blackhole like most all these stories. A wai, a promise of compensation that never comes and the next tragic story of child molestation at a school that covers it up will take its place.

The surprising thing to me is they claim he was arrested at the scene, which is a rare occurrence 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dan O said:

They don't think about what could happen next because generally nothing of consequence happens next. The are devoid of spatial thinking here.

It'll drag on for while then fall in the blackhole like most all these stories. A wai, a promise of compensation that never comes and the next tragic story of child molestation at a school that covers it up will take its place.

The surprising thing to me is they claim he was arrested at the scene, which is a rare occurrence 

Probably legless, so couldn't do a runner. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Thailand is no longer 'third world', it has a set of laws, the people to enforce those laws and the courts to administer punishments for those caught breaking them.  The system falls at the first hurdle though because it seems, that other than pull pick-up trucks over at checkpoints, looking for god knows what and 'fining' scooter riders 50 baht for not wearing helmets, the police do little else.

On the contrary, this is exactly why Thailand is 3rd world. They've imported foreign institutions like rule of law but they lack the ability to actually implement it properly.

• Like 2

In Thailand, bigger (as in pick-up truck), means you have right away over anything smaller than you, i.e. cars, motorcycles and people. Bigger also means you have the right to drive fast and carelessly. I see this everyday on the roads in Hua Hin.

• Like 1