Pattaya Mayor Orders Serious Probe into Motorbike Taxi Driver Who Allegedly Charged Passenger 1600 Baht

webfact

Pattaya-taxi-overcharge.jpg

Pattaya —Pattaya Mayor Poramase Ngamphichet has instructed the Pattaya police to conduct a serious investigation into an alleged motorbike taxi driver who charged a passenger over 1,600 baht for a brief transit to the Pattaya International Fireworks Festival on Friday, November 24th.

Mr. Chumpol Meesri, a 35-year-old musician, filed a report with the police, claiming he took a motorbike taxi service from the Esso gas station in South Pattaya to Pattaya Beach, where the fireworks event was held. The driver, believed to be an out-of-town driver, charged Mr. Chumpol over 1,600 baht for two services.

The distance was measured at only 8 kilometers, meaning the driver charged Mr. Chumpol 200 baht per kilometer traveled. When Mr. Chumpol confronted the driver about the clearly unreasonable price, according to him, the driver justified that it was a normal fare during a festival. Mr. Chumpol did not believe the driver’s excuse and filed a report with the Pattaya police.

On November 25th, Pattaya Mayor Poramase was informed of the matter and immediately coordinated with Pol. Col. Thanaphong Phothi, superintendent of Pattaya Police Station, to urgently investigate.

By Tanakorn Panyadee

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2023-11-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

So the rider did not confirm the price prior to the ride?  Stupid.

no... stupid was paying the money and then letting the driver go before calling the police. after the fact is alot harder to prove once the transaction was made. I would have told the driver to wait while i had someone bring the money to me and then called the police to come instead... 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

When Mr. Chumpol confronted the driver about the clearly unreasonable price, according to him, the driver justified that it was a normal fare during a festival. Mr. Chumpol did not believe the driver’s excuse and filed a report with the Pattaya police.

Should have called the police and asked them before paying out.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Should have called the police and asked them before paying out.

Calling the police would have been a total of time, especially on that night with the huge crowd. Beach Road fireworks are right at the police station. An invitation for the driver to attend at the station to sort it out would have been sufficient to send him scurrying on his way. A simple, "Sorry I don't have the cash to pay you as I don't carry that much cash" would have been quite helpful.

• Thumbs Up 1