Education Ministry assigned to take urgent steps to improve Thais’ English proficiency

webfact

Had this recent interaction at a Starbucks at a mall in Chiang Mai.  I said to the employee “tall, hot latte”.  She gave me a puzzled look.  I then said the samd but slowly.  The reply I got was “you want Americano”?  I have been to Starbucks in many countries where English is not the primary language and have always been understood but as they say “TIT”.  Instead I just ordered on the SBUX app. 

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin has ordered the Education Ministry to come up with measures rapidly, to improve English proficiency among Thai people, students in particular, after Thailand’s very poor ranking on the global Education First (EF) English Proficiency Index 2023

More money thrown at certain pockets.

How about educating Thai teachers to speak English,  stop hiring foreign teachers who cannot be understood.

And change the whole English learning process.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Unfortunately the bar girls in Pattaya understand and speak better English than thai teacher's and the teenagers dont want to speak it because they dont want to make mistakes and are shy that's my experience anyway

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

Yes, and also get rid of farangs without qualification but pretending to be a teacher🌲

True but that is a tiny part of the huge overall problem and can be easily solved by proper employment checks. The fact that there are still some unqualified foreign teachers shows the lack of any real desire to raise standards.

International school kids here speak excellent English, even the Thai teachers in them speak good English. Now, if only someone could figure out why these people speak good English things might change. 

7 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

Yes, and also get rid of farangs without qualification but pretending to be a teacher🌲

You obviously don't know much about foreign/native English teachers in Thailand. When I was teaching several different subjects back in 2005 all the teachers I met were qualified to teach English as a second language. Pay scale was 35,000 to 50,000baht with a handful of schools paying 100,000+baht. After the 2006 Coup things changed native English teachers were replaced by Philippine teachers who would work for 15,000baht but mostly could hardly speak understandable/audible English. Now move on 18 years: Native English teachers being offered 25,000baht still with required workpermit with  qualifications like degree etc needed. Look at the results! 2005 Thailand was progressing well in English world levels but from then till now Thailand's English level has steadily slid lower and lower.  

• Like 2

I note that some Thais can read a little but no chance of speaking it.

To have any chance of taking tourism to the next level this needs to be addressed but doubt will be.

This will all go away about Christmas until next year when the index comes out again

15 hours ago, BritScot said:

You obviously don't know much about foreign/native English teachers in Thailand. When I was teaching several different subjects back in 2005 all the teachers I met were qualified to teach English as a second language. Pay scale was 35,000 to 50,000baht with a handful of schools paying 100,000+baht. After the 2006 Coup things changed native English teachers were replaced by Philippine teachers who would work for 15,000baht but mostly could hardly speak understandable/audible English. Now move on 18 years: Native English teachers being offered 25,000baht still with required workpermit with  qualifications like degree etc needed. Look at the results! 2005 Thailand was progressing well in English world levels but from then till now Thailand's English level has steadily slid lower and lower.  

Ah, and with self appointed English language teachers hardly able to speak or know about grammar rules it works better? Wake up mate 🧑‍🎄 There have to be only English language teachers with a University degree obtained in teaching ( didactics eg) as a minimum of requirements.🧑‍🎄

15 hours ago, BritScot said:

You obviously don't know much

I wonder why you have to use those despicable words???? What you want to express? It seems to me that there is a lack of empathy and willingness to discuss a matter of interest. It's really a pity how rude people here want to communicate.🥴